“Good but not great”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Richmond, Virginia
“Good but not great”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The hotel itself is aging a bit but kept up decently. Not a great part of town for exploring on foot, but a reasonable taxi ride to many sights. Grocery just around the corner which I made use of. The attached Denny s is good for breakfast but not my idea of an exciting lunch or dinner. And pricey, too. Not bad-just not what I like. Really not much else close by for dining options. Subway and a buffet restaurant across the street. The staff here were very much above average and the main reason I rated it a 4 and not 3. Cannot remember all their names but Daniel at the front desk, Jorge on the maintenance crew and Carmen in housekeeping were superb. Irazu is fortunate to have these folks. I used the Spa services for a pre-Costa Rica Marathon massage and that was a treat. The gym was clean and adequate. Pool looked nice but I did not use it. Casino attached but I do not gamble. It had a restaurant also. The grounds were well kept and made the hotel courtyard look nice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ramorristoo
Ivannia Z, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Plus San Jose, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear user:

First, we want to thank you for taking a few minutes and leave us a comment.

Your opinions are what let us improve every day and we really hope you to come back here for next year's Marathon. Our staff will be more than happy to receive you back here.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

I guess I'm used to more best westerns in the states. They are usually a great value, with hot breakfasts, a fireplace or something else totally worth it. This one is just okay, nothing super awesome but at least I was able to print my boarding passes in the internet room.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank deje1984
Ivannia Z, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Plus San Jose, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear user:

First at all, we want to thank you for taking a few minutes to leave us a comment, This is very important for us, and it is what let us improve each day to offer you new and better amenities, facilities and service.

We hope to have the chance to receive you back here, and we promise you will get much more than a simple stay, a great experience.
VANCOUVER
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We stayed here for 7 nights as we were traveling around San Jose. Good large pool, good gym (free weights and cardio machines), laundry machines, tennis courts, secure parking, super market around the corner, a couple of restaurants in the same area, subway restaurant across street, dennys restaurant attached to the hotel as the included breakfast in the hotel (recommend the tipico). I would recommend the farthest wing from the lobby facing the pool. As the other wing's rooms facing the parking lot does not have windows that open but rooms are nice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank CWHATSOUTTHERE
Dear user:

Thank you for your comment!

It is great to know that our strategic location was convenient for you, as well as our facilities. We are going to to be looking forward your next visit.
Playa Potrero, Costa Rica
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I just spent two days at the BW Irazu, and it was a very pleasant experience. My room was on the third floor, overlooking the pool and gardens. I could open my balcony doors and slept without airconditioner, listening to the birds and the winds. The bed was comfortable, pillows snuggly. It was too cold to use the pool or jacuzzi, but they are lovely and would be great on a warm day.
I especially want to commend the staff. Everyone was helpful, polite, and pleasant. I was able to arrange for special needs like a cell phone charger adaptor and late check-out without difficulty. I especially like the people who work at the Britt gift shop, who chatted me with warmth and grace while I waited for endless buses.
Although Denny's is the usual American glop, there is a Mega Super Grocery store next door, and a building with a seafood restaurant, a Tico place, and a very nice Chinese restaurant. Although located in an industrial area, it was nice to be able to walk to conveniences.

My first stop at this hotel, in 2008, was decidedly not fun. Our room was near the Casino and music pounded through the floors all night. Meals at Denny's were the usual American fat feasts. Based on 2008, I would have given the hotel 2 stars and never gone back, but this time it was great.
My advice - ask for a room away from the Casino, overlooking the gardens.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool and gardens have nice balconies, and are quiet and serene.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Ivannia Z, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Plus San Jose, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear user:

Thank you so much for your comment!

We are glad to know that you decided to come back here, and it is even better to know that this time you had a good experience. Our staff is very friendly and helpfull, and it is always a pleasure for us to give you the best attention.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We checked in late due to some flight delays and was accommodated promptly at check-in which was after 11:00 PM (November 2012). The shuttle pick up from the airport took about 20 minutes after the initial call to the hotel. The trip from the airport to the hotel was less than 20 minutes as there was virtually no traffic to speak off.

The rooms were nice, clean and comfortable. However, my wife didn't want to be on the 3rd floor. I told her that I would take care of it in the morning. I had breakfast (free at Denny's) at 7:30 and was surprised to meet up with the public relations manager (Ivannia). She wanted to know how our stay was so far. I told her that my wife would prefer to be at the lobby to be closer to the pool and other activities like the gym, massage and spa. She took care of this even before I went back upstairs to tell my wife that we would be moving rooms. We were placed on the lobby level as I requested and across the pool...you could walk out to the pool from the room and can see the gym, spa and jacuzzi. Ivannia provided us with exceptional service.

A few unexpected perks: Calls to the US was included for free & Ivannia took care of some special requests:) for my wife.

Room Tip: The rooms on the lobby level allow you to walk right out to the pool....we ended up staying on the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Archman61
Ivannia Z, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Plus San Jose, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear user:

Thank you very much for your comment!

I am really glad to know that we could help you, our biggest satisfaction is to know that we make guests feel happy, and it will always be our pleasure to have you back here and make of your stay a great experience.
Playa Panama, Costa Rica
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed overnight here because it was close to Immigration. They didn't appear to have my reservation but when I produced the printed confirmation, the clerk went in a back room and after about 5 minutes came back with the reservation. He was apologetic and was very nice. Our room was dated and cramped with two double beds. One was against the curtains which covered the sliding glass door. The bathroom wasn't the cleanest I've even been in....but certainly not the dirtiest either. The hallways smelled moldy but I didn't see any mold.

Overall, it was an average hotel. It was convenient to Immigration and did include a continental breakfast at Denny's (not a full breakfast...but if you wanted a full breakfast, they would apply a discount). Casino was a nice extra.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear user:

First, we want to thank you for taking some time and leave us a comment.

We always try to make people have a good time while staying here. We hope to have you back here some time in the future, and we will do everything possible for you to have a great experience.
Foresthill, California
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This was our first stop in CR. They made our first day hassel free. Shuttle picked us up- free wifi and clean rooms. We originally asked for a king bed but was given 2 queens on the newer side. Bed for us was a little on the firm side. They also had a free breakfast at Dennys- which was nice. Also what was convient was the alamo rental was right there so that made things that much easier. Staff was friendly. Would recommond for the 1st night in Cr its not really close to much though.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ivannia Z, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Plus San Jose, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear user:

Thank you for your comment!

It is good to know that you shared your first night in Costa Rica with us, and it is even better to know that you had a good time.

We are going to be more than happy to receive you back here in your next visit to our country.