“Great Great Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Restaurant La Bastille
Ranked #30 of 498 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: French, European, Swiss
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Sunrise, Florida
“Great Great Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

This is now my favorite Restaurant in San Jose. The food is wonderful from the salads and soups, to the entrees and desserts and wines. I had the fish filet with a caprese salad, My girlfriend had the shrimp and she loved it. We had 2 bottles of French Wine, one Pinot Noir and the other Cabernet Sauvignon, Very good balanced wines. The Owner, Tomey is a cool guy who loves jazz and blues and since I am a blues musician we had a lot to talk about, He was nice and put on Blues Music by our table with his satellite radio and I was in Music and Food Heaven. Try the French Fries, they are a Specialty of the house and they are some of the best fries I ever had!

Marin County, CA
“One Of My Favorite Restaurants in The World”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I returned from my second trip to San Jose, CR is the past six months just days ago and could not wait to get back to La Bastille for one of Thomy's exquisite offerings. What this restaurant may lack in ambiance and "glitz" (Restaurante Gran De Oro comes to mind) is more than made up for by some of the best and creative cooking anywhere.

I say this having visited something like 100 countries around the globe. His double pan fried french fries are something quite unique and sensational. My first comida del noche in San Jose six months ago was at Restaurante Gran De Oro and my second was at La Bastille. I never went back to Restaurante Gran De Oro, but ate at Restaurante La Bastille almost every night while in San Jose.

You might find other good restaurants in San Jose, but none better when it comes to quality of food, taste, subtleness, quality of presentation and friendliness of the Chef/Owner Thomy. I look forward to my next visit.

• 3 of 5 stars
Norwegen
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Super experience in "La Bastille"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Through a guide for marbellatours.com vi got knowledge of Thomy, a Swiss guy who drives this faboulous restaurant.

Vi reserved and went at easter sunday evening to La Bastille. A very quiet day, because everybody in San Jose spent holidays outside the town. So Thomy hat plenty of time for us to talk about our common Swiss background. Time went by with a good drink, his version of Caipirinha, listening to some blues and talking about Montreux Jazzfestival etc.

Then dinner started with "paté". Later followed a champignon soup based on a white wine fond and the main course was pork filé "tonnato" with french fries. Everything was homemade at La Bastille and we could really feel this. The red vine from southern France made the evening perfect.

So thank you Thomy for this evening!

N.B.
avoid marbellatours.com (who has nothing to do with La Bastille!!), even if their guide made this super experience happen for us. This tour operator was one of the few bad experiences during a 5 weeks holiday)

Montreal, Canada
“'' ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESS EXPERIENCE''”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

A few years ago in 2011 i went to san jose costa rica
for dental work .
My first few days i was there was miserable, i was realy not very impressed with the choice and quality of restaurants. Until i found
Restaurant La Bastille, my first visit was excellent , not a single
detail to excellent tasting food,perfect presentation and great first class
service was neglected. I was truly impressed.
from this point on La Bastille became my second home for a few weeks.
The 5 star food and excellent first class service is obviously the product
of all the T.L.C. that Thomy the owner and head chef of La Bastille devotes to his obvious passion.

In 2013 i revisited San Jose for more dental work
and the first place i went to after checking in to the
hotel was La Bastille for dinner
I was impressed to find absolutely everything just as
delicious and succulent as my last visit was.
Everything i ordered was always served with detail to the very best
tasting and quality foods and not to mention the extra attentive five star service that Thomy my favourite chef always made sure was part of the dining experience you will live when you visit Restaurant La Bastille!

p.s. don't forget to try the excellent house wine

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
“Great attention to detail, amazing service and delicious food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

I stumbled across this restaurant wandering along Paseo Colón and ventured in to ask for any vegetarian options. I was a little intimidated by the class of the restaurant but the waiters were so genteel and accommodating. There was only one vegetarian option which was a yellow curry.

The meal was presented extremely well and had an amazing taste to match. The curry included a whole banana and one or two other fruits from the region, providing the dish with a Costa Rican twist. Surprisingly, the sweetness of the fruit didn't disagree at all with the curry and provided a beautiful sweet flavor to enhance the dish. The chef came out to make sure that he fully understood how hot I wanted the dish and, when it was served, he added another fresh pepper to the side in case I wanted to spice it up a little.

The chef later mentioned in passing that they had a chocolate mousse on the menu, so I reserved a little space to fit one in and didn't regret the order one bit. The mousse came with three whole, fresh strawberries, an abundance of chocolate sauce and a generous serving of mousse. It was too amazing for words.

The chef was a lovely guy who came from Switzerland and has lived in San Jose for 21 years. Clearly, he has spent time experimenting with local flavours and enticing a richer taste from traditional food to deliver a unique and dlelightful flavor. The price for a glass of house red, orange juice, a vegetarian curry and chocolate mousse dessert was about 14,000 colones but I'd pay it over to experience this place again. The dishes were very large for a traditionally classy restaurant and so I think it is very good value for the money. I wish there we're other vegetarian options so I could go back and try something else!

2 Thank Sane_Jane