“Fresh Seafood, Peruvian Flair”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Soda Peru

Soda Peru
Ranked #363 of 599 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Seafood, South American, Central American
Richmond, Virginia
“Fresh Seafood, Peruvian Flair”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

First of all, the correct name for this restaurant is 'Delicias de Peru', even if locals commonly refer to it as Soda Peru. It is a Soda (typical small Costa Rican restaurant), but so much more.

It is located near the Holiday Inn in San Jose and is open for lunch only. Most of the clientele are Costa Rican Government officials. Not many tourists find there way there, but the menu is bilingual and the service is friendly.

The restaurant is small, and unassuming. Service can be slow, but, simply put your mind in a place where you can enjoy an unhurried lunch and you will enjoy yourself. I like to pick a table where I can peer into the kitchen where magical things are done with simple fresh ingredients.

On my recent visit, I ate there twice. On one visit, I had a very large authentic ceviche mixto in a true Peruvian style. It made for a nice filling yet light lunch. On my second visit, I had a great shrimp in spicy sauce. That dish reminded me of a very good shrimp creole. My buddy had corvina with a 'a lo macho' sauce. Both dishes were perfection.

The menu is built around simple very fresh seafood staples. A variety of ceviches are on offer as well as seafod soups etc. A number of fine fish dishes (corvina) are the centerpiece for a number of excellent sauces. Everything is prepared from scratch. They offer a few chicken or beef dishes as well, but, I'm nuts for their seafood.

If I had stayed longer, I'd have also have had their fried calamari. Tender fried perfection...........Pura Vida.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank RetiredIam

New York City, New York
“Ok local food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Located near the downtown Holiday Inn and recommended by the concierge for "local" food, I tried it out. The first night, it was closed so I'm not certain if it has dinner service, as the entire area near the restaurant seems to shut down at night. I went for lunch, and the small restaurant was packed with locals. I had a seafood soup dish that seemed quite popular. It was satisfactorY but nothing more, although I've certainly had less memorable food in Costa Rica. Service was great, and I was tempted to give it another try because of the local popularity, but ran out of time. Might be worth another visit though. Most entrees were less than $10.

Visited December 2012
Northern Michigan
“Soda Peru”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

This is a great local restaurant about one block from the Holiday Inn downtown San Jose. All the food is cooked from scratch. Seafood is their speciality. Its a lunch only restaurant and does a great business crowd. So go early or late as they get busy during the lunch hour. My favorite is Corvina with galic. This is an authentic Peruvian restaurant. The prices are very good and you will not go hungry.Eat a late lunch and you will not want dinner. The atmosphere is wonderful.

• Visited April 2012