“Barely o.k tour company”

Expediciones Tropicales Day Tours
Ranked #26 of 102 Tours in San Jose
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We booked a half day Poas tour with the company and wish we hadn't made the mistake of doing so.

They picked us on time from our hotel and the bus was nice and clean. Our guide was friendly; her communication was o.k. and she did mention that she was still learning English. Certainly not something we hold against her.

The tour felt so rushed, it wasn't amusing. They let you explore Poas by yourself, even though I prefer to explore and see things by myself, this is no guided tour, it is more of a transport service from San Jose to Poas. They gave you only 20 minutes or so to go to the volcano, it takes 10-15 minutes to walk from the entrance and back so you hardly have any time at the volcano. Why would we sit in a bus for so long only to spend a few minutes at the volcano?? They give you this threatening "tip" that if you are not back in time, there are local buses that will get you to San Jose. At the visitor center, they tried to rush us back to the bus while we are in line to get coffee.

We were disappointed with this company. They are not tours, more like rushed transportation. Avoid this company, look for alternate companies or just drive to the destination yourself. Would never recommend.

All reviews
"second stop"
"bagged lunch"
"lankester gardens"
in 3 reviews
"the coffee making process"
"half day tour"
in 4 reviews
"costa rica"
in 48 reviews

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We went on the 3 in 1 Rainforest Tour. We made the big mistake of not first checking this company out on TripAdvisor. The actual places that we visited were very nice. The snack and lunch were very good. Our complaint was with the tour guide, Alberto. We signed up for a bilingual tour but only about 40% of his Spanish information was repeated in English. We definitely felt cheated. I was so frustrated that I timed 45 minutes
of Spanish before he spoke one word of English. The last hour and a half of the tour he sat up front with the driver, listened to the radio and read the newspaper, in between looking out the window and making inappropriate comments to and about girls on the San Jose streets. We were very disappointed with the lack of consideration and unprofessionalism.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I did a partial tour with Expediciones Tropicales to Irazu Volcano, and I had a really good time. Hugo the tour guide was funny and very informative, and I felt that the tour was well organized. We went to the volcano nice and early, before the clouds rolled in. Then we headed over to Cartago and saw the Basilica. They had a van waiting there to take me back to San Jose, while the rest of the group went on to Lancaster Gardens, lunch, and the ruins at Ujarras. Everything ran very smoothly and I would definitely recommend this tour. If you're not planning on renting a car while you're in Costa Rica, this is the best way to get to some of the more out of the way sights.

1  Thank Audrey F
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We just finished our tour of Costa Rica (organized by Maritime Travel and Expediciones) 6 Feb to 16 Feb. 23 Canadians first trip to Costa Rica and probably not the last for some of us. Everyone truly loved the Costa Rican countryside, the variety of wildlife and the people. We visited Tortugero, Puerto Viejo in Limon, Arenal Volcano, Toruga Island, Quepos and Manuel Antonio and Sarchi. We did many tours which were all well planned.
We fell in love with our excellent driver - Nico and magnificent quide -Meza. They both became our friends. We will never forget them. They truly enhanced our wonderful trip to Costa Rica.

1  Thank Bob722
See more reviews
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Tour Guides-- Martin was a great guide to Manuel Antonio--fun, entertaining, helpful, personable; Christian was a good San Jose city guide, but he needs to smile more, be more upbeat, let his personality come through; Tour guide to Sarapiqui and Canopy was good-just feel like he didn't "connect" with us; Max, the tour guide to Arenal and Tabacon was a bit overbearing and I felt like I was in a college lecture for most of the trip instead of being on a tour, he had a lot of info, but the manner of delivery wasn't relaxing and got to be a little annoying.

Drivers---very good considering some of the weather and road conditions

Sights-- Wow, I saw a lot in 4 days, doing a tour each day, but a lot of bus time, but I was able to come back to San Jose every night and stay in the same hotel. The other option would have been to take a tour which took me from place to place to place, staying at a different hotel and having to live out of a suitcase every night. So it's a toss up, depending on how much time you want to spend on a bus.
Manuel Antonio--fun beach trip, good meals, be wary of the monkeys and raccoons at the park as we saw them go after peoples' belongings with no hesitation.
Arenal and Tabacon--hot springs are very nice, food is good, Arenal volcano was a little bit of a disappointment as you only see it from a viewpoint, not very close up, and it is a long bus ride/long day, so weigh this one carefully
Sarapiqui Jungle cruise and Canopy--be prepared to climb lots of ladders for the canopy tour, but with 10 ziplines, it was a lot of fun. Lunch was so-so. Didn't see as much wildlife on the river as expected, but that is probably different from day to day.
San Jose City tour--I thought we would see a lot more than we did, and it seemed more like a shopping trip with a little sight-seeing thrown in. The National Theater and the Museum in downtown San Jose were definitely the highlights, but I would have loved to spend more time at the museum than at the "art gallery/store" at the end of the tour.

1  Thank laGuera