“A home away from home!”
Review of Casa Abierta B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Jose
Casa Abierta B&B
Ranked #9 of 68 San Jose B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 11, 2012

This was my first trip to Costa Rica. One of the reasons I wanted to stay at Casa Abierta was to get some local knowhow to ease my transition into vacationing in Costa Rica. Casa Abierta is conveniently located in a safe neighborhood and is easily reachable via taxi and buses. The spacious house is nicely decorated with tropical flowers and has a small garden and fountain just perfect for relaxing. The rooms are large and the beds very comfortable. Darrylle is a great cook and serves baked pies, seasonal tropical fruits and coffee for breakfast. He has been living in Costa Rica for 17 years and can assist you with almost any of your local needs. He helped me plan my itinerary and even booked hotels and tours. It was a pleasure to stay at Casa Abierta.

2  Thank SanjayX

Reviewed January 4, 2012

It was very nice location since you can walk to downtown and nice neighborhood area!
The owner was an amazing person. I could easily stay a week to hear his stories and finding out what his projects over there! It was trasure to meet him :) Thank you!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank SpringMM
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Words cannot describe the level of care and hospitality Darrylle gives his guest. I was originally suppose to fly into Liberia, due to plane issues I had a last minute detour to San Jose and I need a place to stay for one night. I contacted D, really late the night before I was due to arrive. I told him my sob story and asked if he had room. Luckily he did, it was the best night ever. He picked me up from the airport and made me broccoli soup on the cold and rainy day I arrived. It was just so perfect. Later that evening he made me and the other guest, beans and rice with spicy chicken mole followed by a night of great conversation. If you want feel like being around friends and family I say stay with Darrylle. He is more than a host. I would recommend him as the only place to stay in San Jose.

2  Thank colorful c
Reviewed December 16, 2011

If you are planning a visit to San Jose, I highly recommend that you stay with Darrylle at Casa Abierta. The house is beautiful and comfortable, centrally located, and Darrylle is a flawless host. You will wake to smells of fresh baking, as breakfast consists of homemade banana bread and muffins, delicious platters of fresh fruit, and even homemade jam! Also, if there is anything you need, Darrylle seems to have the answers. He readily assists with helping to book tours, arrange taxis, suggest restaurants....your whole experience of San Jose and perhaps even Costa Rica will be enriched by meeting him. So book....and enjoy!

2  Thank K R
Reviewed December 3, 2011

I stayed in Casa Abierta for 2 nights and loved it. This was my first time staying with a host and I was pretty apprehensive, but Darylle (host) has such a warm and pleasant persona about him, it put me to ease. His home is lovely and well furnished - quite airy and has lots of light. The building itself is secure and the neighborhood is great. I walked alone in the night to a mall close-by to grab food and felt very safe. The house is close to centro (about 15 minutes walk, 5 min cab ride) but still away from all the hustle of San Jose. A cab from centro to his house cost me $5.
The house was very comfortable and the beds are super awesome. I had my best sleep in Costa Rica here. There was another bedroom but didn't have any guests.
Darylle was a great conversationist, and he is very well travelled. Its great to talk to him during breakfast and while having tea in his patio. Also, he has a great book collection :)
I have no cons about this place.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank swordfish82
Reviewed November 30, 2011

Darrylle was an amazing host. He was very warm and welcoming and offered friendly travelling advice. The room was spotless, the bed the most comfortable one we had in costa rica, and the service excellent. Highly recommended.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nadia h
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Perfect is the only way I can describe our two nights at Casa Abierta. The home is absolutely beautiful. I say home, because that is how we felt from the minute Darrylle picked us up at the airport.The property speaks for itself, clean, beautiful, spacious and relaxing.
Our host, Darrylle, has to be one of the most interesting, friendly and loving people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. We actually decided to spend our nights staying in to enjoy his company, along with delicious food, wine, all served up in his beaurtif home (Darrylle makes excellent Margaritas too!) We actually returned on the last night of our trip becasue we had such a wonderful time. The location was perfect, situated in a quiet neighborhood and within walking distance of all the important sites in San Jose.
So again, our experience.....perfect. And I happy to say that I have made a freind for life. Thank you Darrylle!!

Room Tip: They are the best rooms in San Jose, so how do you choose?? The 2 rooms upstairs are identical. Howe...