“A nice way to travel around Costa Rica”

Gray Line Costa Rica
Tortuguero National Park
$123.00*
Manuel Antonio National Park Day Trip from San Jose
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a full-service tour operator and destination management company (DMC), affiliated to Gray Line Worldwide, the most recognized international network of sightseeing and DMCs around the globe. We are recognized for our high quality standards, our professionalism, and corporate responsibility.Tourism leaders in Costa Rica and Central America since 1978, we give our services to over 100,000 tourists per year. We offer one day tours, countrywide daily shuttles to Costa Rica’s main tourist attractions, hotel reservations, car rentals, airport shuttles to/from the San José and Liberia airports, vacation packages, tailor made itineraries, and our hotel pass open voucher program. In addition, our proprietary operations throughout Central America allow us to offer multiple-destination programs, as well as extension packages within the various countries. We have offices within the country’s main tourist regions (the Central Pacific, Guanacaste, Arenal Volcano, and San José) and in major hotels, and over 24 customer service centers throughout the country.With Gray Line Costa Rica, you enjoy personalized service while discovering and appreciating the natural wonders of our beautiful country… like a local!
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We used Gray Line to travel from San Jose to an Arenal area hotel. Although we paid for a group shuttle, we were the only people in the van and had a private transfer. Our driver, Manilo, was very knowledgeable and made the trip fun by telling us about the history and culture of the area. We made a couple of stops along the way to sample the local fare and do some shopping. The van was clean and Manilo was a safe driver.

1  Thank Nikki87111

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Had I'd known that Grayline picks up and drops off people ike a taxi service, I wouldn't have chosen a different company. Then when we finally get there to Manuel Antonio and the tour guide kept our tickets. I was stopped by rangers and because I didn't have my ticket, I was forced around to the front to purchase a ticket to get back in the park. I lost time at the park as a result of this. I call Graylinecostarica about this and I'm told they hire another company to do their tours and gave me the name of the wrong tour group to avoid getting a bad rap for their horrible service.

2  Thank Andre762
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We booked three day tours through Gray Line. Their San Jose city tour was not as originally described in Expedia where I booked it. At the time of booking it said that it included lunch (a lie) and made no mention of wasting 45 minutes at a jewelry shop where we were expected to buy stuff (after rushing us through the gold museum). That city tour was an overpriced waste of time--time that would have been better spent hiring a cab and seeing what we wanted to see. I don't need to spend money to be forced to go some place for the sole purpose of buying stuff I don't want. I complained to the Gray Line concierge at the hotel we were staying at and he said to write to him and our money would be refunded. I wrote and no response. However, after my email, the tour description was changed on Expedia (removing reference to lunch and mentioning souvenir shopping).

I called Expedia to complain and they put me through to someone at Gray Line who said to write and we'd receive a refund. Wrote again and no response. So now the credit card company is contacting them.

We also booked two shared transfers--one from Manuel Antonio to San Jose and one from San Jose to Arenal. The San Jose to Arenal transfer ended up being private. The driver didn't speak English well and he started off by dropping his brother off at his mom's house and stopping at his dad's house. Then he spent a good deal of time barreling down the winding roads texting and talking on his cell phone. To say I was terrified, was an understatement. It is illegal (and of course unsafe) to text or talk on the phone and drive in Costa Rica. Thank goodness we made it safely to our destination.

On one of our day tours, we were the only ones staying at the airport and everyone else was downtown. The traffic in downtown San Jose was so bad, it took nearly three hours in the morning for them to pick up the downtown people from the time they picked us up. At the end of the tour they sent a smaller shuttle to take us to our hotel afterward (nice of them). However, the driver, yacked on his cell phone in the middle of horrendous stop and go traffic. Again we were fortunate that there were no mishaps.

Gray Line, vet your tours and vet your drivers. I don't appreciate being put in unsafe situations by irresponsble drivers.

My advise, is book your tours directly through Expediciones Tropicales which is the actual company that runs the tours rather than Expedia/Gray Line. That way, you don't have to pay and deal with irresponsible and indifferent middlemen. Originally we were only disputing the charge for the city tour, but since the charge for the Arenal transfer is part of the same charge, we going to dispute that, too because of the driver's reckless and irresponsible behavior. Book your transfers through a company other than Gray Line if you value your life.

3  Thank ERipley7
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I had a number of questions when reviewing the tours and I received great service from Gray Line. I emailed them a number of questions about booking my own tour and they responded very promptly and with a number of options. I also used the instant message option on the website and received someone right away. They were very professional, explained different options, and gave me their personal opinions on where to travel. Such great service is deeply appreciated.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

The Doka Estate Coffee Tour is general part of a larger tour including one of the volcanos. We had absolutely no expectation of the Doka coffee part. We expected something along the line of a Chinese silk tour where they show you silk production for maximum 5 minutes and then spend hours in trying to sell you merchandise. The reverse is true here. Our guide spend a considerable amount of time explaining the growing, harvesting, processing en roasting of coffee. All the time walking around the estate and showing us the different technics and machineries used in the process. Never knew that so much work was going into my morning brew and I have a far better understanding of the cost of a cup although I still think that Starbucks is way overpriced. After the tour we did of course had the chance to buy some coffee or related product (why one would want coffee scented soap beats me but yes it was there) but there was absolutely no pressure and it took not more than a few minutes. This is as these type of tours should be. So do take the tour, it is very enjoyable and you learn something as well.

3  Thank vinker