“Excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Arenal Volcano and Tabacón Hot Springs Day Trip from San Jose
Ranked #28 of 91 Tours in San Jose
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a full-service tour operator and destination management company (DMC), affiliated to Gray Line Worldwide, the most recognized international network of sightseeing and DMCs around the globe. We are recognized for our high quality standards, our professionalism, and corporate responsibility.Tourism leaders in Costa Rica and Central America since 1978, we give our services to over 100,000 tourists per year. We offer one day tours, countrywide daily shuttles to Costa Rica’s main tourist attractions, hotel reservations, car rentals, airport shuttles to/from the San José and Liberia airports, vacation packages, tailor made itineraries, and our hotel pass open voucher program. In addition, our proprietary operations throughout Central America allow us to offer multiple-destination programs, as well as extension packages within the various countries. We have offices within the country’s main tourist regions (the Central Pacific, Guanacaste, Arenal Volcano, and San José) and in major hotels, and over 24 customer service centers throughout the country.With Gray Line Costa Rica, you enjoy personalized service while discovering and appreciating the natural wonders of our beautiful country… like a local!
staffordshire
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

This is an excellent tour oparator. I found MariaJose Roses so helpful, enthusiastic and helped as much or as little as we wanted her to, never did we feel that anything we asked her about was too much trouble, she even came ON THE BUS, after work, to deliver our papers...We shall use them again without any hasitations.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank vivien49
GrayLineCR, Area Comercial at Gray Line Costa Rica, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Friend!!

Thanks for your comment!!!

Our goal is to provide you with the best service!!!

Toronto, Canada
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Look for alternative transportation”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

I used Gray Line Costa Rica shuttles in 2007 and had a good experience, which is why I sought out their services when I returned to Costa Rica in December 2012.

The Gray Line customer service agent who replied to all my emails was very helpful and always replied promptly.

I emailed both Gray Line and Interbus about the shuttle service between San Jose and Monteverde. Gray Line wrote back right away, explaining that they do not drive this particular route in the afternoon, but would be happy to check a "partner carrier" for me. The partner carrier turned out to be Interbus (which took weeks to reply to my email) so I booked the shuttle through Gray Line.

Because the customer service agent was so helpful, I only emailed Gray Line when I needed to book a shuttle between Monteverde and Liberia. In mid-November, I made the door-to-door reservation and paid in full. This was six weeks before my trip.

And then, less than 24 hours before the shuttle was to have picked us up, the Gray Line agent emailed me to say that the Operations Department just informed her that the shuttle could not drop us off at our hotel. Instead, it would drop us off at Best Western El Sitio.

It was ludicrous:
- the door-to-door transfer I had already paid for was not dropping me off at the door of my choice, even though my reservation was confirmed six weeks in advance
- the Best Western was on the outskirts of town
- we had to pay for a taxi ride from Best Western to our hotel
- they were letting me know LESS THAN 24 HOURS before departure

When I expressed all of this to the agent, she apologized for the inconvenience and reiterated that we would not be dropped off at our hotel.

The journey turned out to be just as unpleasant.

There was a transfer point/service stop along the highway, where Gray Line and Interbus shuttles gathered. Passengers were then directed to another shuttle bus which would take them to their destination. It was quite chaotic. We were first told to get on one bus, only to be told to get on another bus. Sure, the drivers must have known beforehand which bus was going where!

One of the drivers told me that there is only one drop-off point in Liberia - Best Western. Now, if the driver knew this, why is it that the booking agent was unaware of this?

The driver from Monteverde to the transfer point was fine. The same cannot be said of the driver from the transfer point to Liberia. He was texting on his cell phone, reading documents while driving, repeatedly speeding up when the vehicle in front slowed down, and seemed to have a hard time driving in a straight line!

I filed a complaint that same day. The agent apologized and CC'ed the manager of the Operations Department.

I would not recommend Gray Line.

Visited December 2012
5 Thank JustinaL370
New York City, New York
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Not worth it”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Pros: Picked up on time from Manuel Antonio to San Jose (around 4 hours).

Cons: The bus wasn't like the one advertised on website and pamphlet. I thought it was going to be like the Bolt Bus in the States, but instead It was a dumpy van with no branding, just a Grayline sign in the dashboard. The driver spoke no English and had the wrong delivery address for another couple. The van had no A/C when we were picked up so when we got it in, the back was so hot and stuffy I got nauseous instantaneously. Van had no wireless, although they advertise it everywhere. Drive was very slow.

Don't recommend getting this bus especially if you're going for more than a couple hours. Interbus looked good- at least the buses looked like the ones advertised.

Visited November 2012
5 Thank AnnL148
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Dangerous and grumpy driver, unreliable pick up & arrival time.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Having used several shuttle bus services during our one month trip through Costa Rica, our first experience with Gray Line was the trip from Quepos to SJO airport. The driver arrived 30-minutes before the agreed pick-up time, hassled us to get in the bus asap and once we entered the shuttle bus drove away before we were even seated! From then on, he drove like a maniac, speeding, overtaking in blind corners, and driving dangerously close to other vehicles on the road. Terrified from the trip, we arrived 2 hours before schedule at the airport. The driver was completely unreliable and dangerous.

1 Thank Stiris
VA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Only pick up tall blondes”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

I booked a trip to the Britt Coffee Tour. They kept emailing me saying that they would not pick me up at the Hotel Morazan but that I had to go another hotel Aurola across the Morazan park. They even left messages for me at my hotel. I did go across the park to meet the van. The driver then proceded to drive right past the Morazan. Why couldn't he have picked me up there. Then he goes way out of the way to pick up a tall blode Scandinavian lady at her Hotel. Discriminatory- Poor- Unnecessary

Visited August 2012