“Nice Oasis in the middle of a not so nice city”

Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana
Ranked #12 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I stayed at the Tryp Sabana at the beginning and the end of a 2-week Costa Rica Explorer with G Adventures. Although the front desk staff were a little short , the bar and restaurant staff greatly made up for it. Such nice service and the restaurant food is delicious. The rooms are nice and clean and the bathrooms are modern and clean. I ventured in the city to explore in the middle of the afternoon and came right back as there are too many threatening beggars around the hotel - on my last night there, the disco next door had loud music til 4 am and just outside the frosted window, there was a fight at 6h30 am, 2 people were arguing loudly - the breakfast is also very good ! A very nice selection of fresh food. I m glad i didn't extend my stay in the city though.

Room Tip: Try not to stay in a room adjoining the inside of the building, where the disco is - especially if i...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
eoreamuno, General Manager at Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear JL,

Thanks for your review...I´m sorry to hear you experience that fight in the street...is not very often this happens..I remember that morning, they told me it was noisy. Next time you visit please let me know and I will assign a very nice room for you. thanks for everything.esteban

Write a ReviewReviews (1,064)

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Everything about the Tryp Sabana Hotel by Wyndham is unique and exceptional!

The rooms are extremely modern in style and clean with panoramic views from most rooms.
The property is centrally located, close to rental car agencies, the Sabana Park and much more!

The entire hotel staff, from the Reservations Personnel to the Porters, Security Staff, Front Desk Personnel, Floor Maids and Restaurant staff are to be highly commended for their exceptional customer service skills!

The Hotel has become my 'home away from home' thanks mostly in part to the hotel staff that makes every guest feel welcomed and like family.

The Restaurant in the Hotel has a unique menu with a beautiful presentation, good portions and an outstanding staff that makes ones' dining experience special.

Highly recommend both the Hotel and the Restaurant!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Dear Vladimir,

Thanks for taking the time and writing such a beautiful review...I already printed for the entire staff to read it..they will be very proud...
thanks,

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I knew the hotel before and had only positive experiences. This time, maybe because I was travelling alone, they assigned me room 620. This is a room that is about 12 meters long and 2,50 meters wide, except the small niche where the queen size bed is located. There is no view at all, the neighbour building is only a few meters away. The room is located directly next to the service rooms. these rooms seem to have a metal stage causing weired lound sounds until 11pm, starting 5am.
The bathroom is hughe, the room is nicely equipped (just as all rooms in this hotel), the breakfast is great and the staff very kind and helpfull. Just beware of room 620 and maybe all x20 rooms on the other floors.

Room Tip: Beware of 620.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Hello...yes 620 is a small room compared to our average rooms..a lot of people like it due to it´s shape...if you please send me your full name i can put the alert never to assign you 620 again...thanks!!!!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We where in the hotel for a week for meetings and overall it was a good base. Seemed good location and rooms where large with a comfortable bed! On my first night I closed curtains and a bat fell out and was trapped in swooping me in my room. This was humorous experience and the video went well on Facebook but not what you look for in a hotel. The restaurant needs some work staff very slow and not really responsive. We waited almost an hour for a salad on our first day.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Newnhamp

Hola! thanks for your review..can you tell us what room number where you? that shouldn´t happen at all...wow! I will have a meeting with housekeeping and show them your review...I´m sorry....thanks for letting us know.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed here for a weekend following a homestay/Spanish lessons holiday. The room was huge and spotlessly clean, the buffet breakfast was excellent and the location was ideal for walking along the Avenida Central into the heart of San Jose. There are also several restaurants close to the hotel. The staff was friendly, and we did not experience any problems with noise as other travelers commented on. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Good afternoon from rainy Costa Rica! thanks for your review! I´m very happy you liked our hotel...

see you!!!

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel our last night in San Jose after a long drive from Tamarindo. It was a welcome stop as it was the most modern hotel we stayed at during our stay. We got the family suite and it was humungous!! There we'd two queen beds plus twin bunk beds! It was so cute- there were games like Scrabble and Jenga in the room for our kids to play with. How clever! We had a wonderful dinner and everything was wonderfully seasoned. The servers were so nice and offered to make something for my picky-eating daughter that was not on the menu. My only complaint is it was a Friday night and there was extremely loud noise til the wee hours of the morning but I'm sure this is out of the hotel's control. This hotel offers free local and international calls- something I never heard of but was really pleased about. Thank you, Tryp Hotel, for making our last night's stay in Costa Rica so enjoyable! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank lisatravelz

Hello! thank you very much for your nice review..i already printed it and will pass it along the entire staff...they will love to read it! thanks.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I spent two days at the Tryp Sabana, San Jose at the front and back ends of a recent tour.
The lobby is clean as is the hotel in general. The location is great and you could walk to restaurants, supermarkets banks, etc.
The service from the bell staff to front desk however, leaves a lot to be desired.
On arrival there was no bell staff willing to take our luggage so we took ours to our rooms. They seemed to just mill around.
The rooms are of good size, well appointed, clean and good amenities. No complaints here.
The hotel is supposedly non smoking but on the day and night before departure I struggled with cigarette smoke wafting through my room. After one call and a visit to the front desk to take care of it, the smell continued to the next day. The visit to the front desk came after repeated calls were not answered. I am glad there was nothing serious and thankfully, I was not ill because I would not have had any help at all.
The hotel staff, except in the restaurant seemed tired and unhappy, just doing enough and nothing more.
The restaurant staff was very friendly, warm and most helpful if needed. I wished this carried over to the rest of the staff.
The food there was good but it gets quite loud on Friday evenings as it appears to be an after work club with very loud music until very late.
My room on the last night backed on to stairs and the staff lockers. Nightmare as all I can say. This room should be storage and nothing more.
This property has a lot of potential to be great but service is the downfall

Room Tip: Avoid room 819 or any room that backs on to stairs. These are very noisy as you can imagine. The vie...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Thanks for the time in writing your review of our hotel...i will check what exactly was your noise cause at 819 since there are no locker rooms in that floor...I´m sorry for the smoking issue..we have a zero tolerance to smoking in the rooms..but sometimes guests just don´t care..and prefer to pay the $200 penalty...
Thanks again.