1,162 results
All reviewsgrand tourpremium suitecosta ricanice hotelbreakfast buffetcorner roomcomfortable bedscoffee makerhotel restauranttour groupmini bartwo blockspaseo colonenjoyed my stayyogurtstayed here for one nightairport
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel our last night in San Jose after a long drive from Tamarindo. It was a welcome stop as it was the most modern hotel we stayed at during our stay. We got the family suite and it was humungous!! There we'd two queen beds plus twin bunk beds! It was so cute- there were games like Scrabble and Jenga in the room for our kids to play with. How clever! We had a wonderful dinner and everything was wonderfully seasoned. The servers were so nice and offered to make something for my picky-eating daughter that was not on the menu. My only complaint is it was a Friday night and there was extremely loud noise til the wee hours of the morning but I'm sure this is out of the hotel's control. This hotel offers free local and international calls- something I never heard of but was really pleased about. Thank you, Tryp Hotel, for making our last night's stay in Costa Rica so enjoyable! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank lisatravelz
eoreamuno, General Manager at Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Hello! thank you very much for your nice review..i already printed it and will pass it along the entire staff...they will love to read it! thanks.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I spent two days at the Tryp Sabana, San Jose at the front and back ends of a recent tour.
The lobby is clean as is the hotel in general. The location is great and you could walk to restaurants, supermarkets banks, etc.
The service from the bell staff to front desk however, leaves a lot to be desired.
On arrival there was no bell staff willing to take our luggage so we took ours to our rooms. They seemed to just mill around.
The rooms are of good size, well appointed, clean and good amenities. No complaints here.
The hotel is supposedly non smoking but on the day and night before departure I struggled with cigarette smoke wafting through my room. After one call and a visit to the front desk to take care of it, the smell continued to the next day. The visit to the front desk came after repeated calls were not answered. I am glad there was nothing serious and thankfully, I was not ill because I would not have had any help at all.
The hotel staff, except in the restaurant seemed tired and unhappy, just doing enough and nothing more.
The restaurant staff was very friendly, warm and most helpful if needed. I wished this carried over to the rest of the staff.
The food there was good but it gets quite loud on Friday evenings as it appears to be an after work club with very loud music until very late.
My room on the last night backed on to stairs and the staff lockers. Nightmare as all I can say. This room should be storage and nothing more.
This property has a lot of potential to be great but service is the downfall

Room Tip: Avoid room 819 or any room that backs on to stairs. These are very noisy as you can imagine. The view from this room looks out on to the roofs of neighboring buildings. Your views will be of HVAC units. Windows also leaks when it rains.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Thanks for the time in writing your review of our hotel...i will check what exactly was your noise cause at 819 since there are no locker rooms in that floor...I´m sorry for the smoking issue..we have a zero tolerance to smoking in the rooms..but sometimes guests just don´t care..and prefer to pay the $200 penalty...
Thanks again.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

The hotel is nice but the front desk service ruined it for me. Not helpful nor welcoming. One person would tell us one thing and another one would contradict the other. My last nerve was struck when I asked for change for the taxi at the front desk and they said they didn't have any change but there was a desk full of smaller bills. They could have at least just said that they needed the change instead of being rude and lying about it. The only nice person from the staff was the smiling bell man. I rarely write reviews but I was so peeved at the front desk that I had to write something.

• Stayed: June 2013

I´m very sorry to hear you had a bad experience with our front desk staff...i already printed your review and had several meetings with them...I´m pretty sure we have improved a lot thanks to your review and comment...thanks.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

That's what it said on the key card holder..but I think we saw a classy one in the elevator with a shoeless man.We stayed here the first and last night of our Overseas Adventure Travel group trip,so the hotel was chosen for us.It seemed fine to me as our first impression of San Jose. Quick trip from airport,nice lobby and easy check in.It is on a traffic-y street,but we ARE in a city.There was disco noise on Saturday night and I swear someone was dismantling a chain link fence all night out back.Modern bathroom.I thought my room was spacious until I saw my sister's suite.Buffet breakfast was the first of many during our trip and actually it was probably the best.It is nice to have free and hassle free international phone calls.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Greetings..unfortunately in my country prostitution is legal, so we have never ending battle with tourists that visit our country looking for that...thanks for your nice and honest review...

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Recently I spent two nights at Tryp Sabana Hotel when I came to Costa Rica with Overseas Adventure Travel. Due to broken foot I had to come back to USA but I experience an exceptional staff service at the front desk, room and house keeping. In addition Tryp Sabana's staff, particularly Daniela including restaurant staff made my trip comfortable in every respect. In all my 43 years travels in Europe, India, Canada and South America, I have never come across a hotel which provide free international phone calls from the hotel. Now don't misuse this service. Breakfast was great and that is the nly meal I had. I would highly recommend the Tryp Sabana.

In spite for my foot, it was one of my most memorable experience, and I look forward to coming back to Costa Rica again to see the country and experience people.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for your review..I will make sure Daniela and the entire staff reads it. I hope your foot is ok now...we´ll be here for when you return! thanks.