1,162 results
All reviewsgrand tourpremium suitecosta ricanice hotelbreakfast buffetcorner roomcomfortable bedscoffee makerhotel restauranttour groupmini bartwo blockspaseo colonenjoyed my stayyogurtstayed here for one nightairport
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My first night was horrible. Really dirty carpets that made the bottoms of my feet black. The traffic noise was horrible and I stay in a lot of cities. The buses ran constantly until at least 1230am and started really early. The windows rattled with every single one. The next day I tried to check out because I was exhausted. The front desk apologized and moved me to their quiet side and room 802 was larger, clean and really nice! Slept like a baby. We rented a meeting room for 25 and it was well appointed and coffee breaks and snacks were fine. The restaurant was fantastic and our server Heiner was attentive, offered suggestions and spoke great English. I would stay here again and most definitely eat here again!

Room Tip: Do not stay here unless you can get a high floor and along the quiet side or take your sleeping aids and bring the ear plugs.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
eoreamuno, General Manager at Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thanks for your review..it would be a lot of help if you can tell me what room number you stayed the first night? I´m glad to hear you had a nice experience after all....thanks again. Esteban O.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

The staff wasn't very friendly right off the bat. We weren't dressed in business wear so we may not have been treated as well. In fact, it looked like they were talking bad about us in Spanish, pointing and saying "tourists". The continental breakfast is not very good, the food was cold and tasted like it was pre made box food. Despite first impressions, we cracked a few jokes with them and they warmed up to us and gave us good service - However, we were sure to dress up the next day. The location is in walking distance to lots of fast food places and a walkable distance to downtown San Jose, which we liked. Overall, there was nothing impressive about this place except the fancy decor in the lounge and the decent location... we wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
eoreamuno, Manager at Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear Esther,

Greetings from sunny San José! Our major type of guest are tourist approximately 60% of our entire guests, so our staff is very used to the tourists. I will have a talk with them and see what happened. We spend a lot of money in breakfast which is included in the rate and is not continental it includes 3 hot plates and 3 cold plus fruit, 2 types of breads and delicatessen..I´m sorry to hear it didn´t met your expectations. I will make sure F&B reads your review and improve. Thanks. Esteban

Reviewed May 7, 2013

It's a great hotel, right on Sabana and Paseo Colon so it's about 5 minutes max (without rush-hour traffic) to Escazu (mall, restaurants) once you're on the highway and close to pretty much everything. Breakfast is great, buffet style but really good and included in your stay. It's got a cool little bar/lounge area that it well done decor-wise. I have stayed there on at least a half dozen occasions and it's a great call, clean and very consistent. Close to Furca (one of the three best restaurants in San Jose) Under $100 and way better than the Crowne Plaza, which is old and kinda beat up, just across the street at about the same price. I like.

Room Tip: The best are the corner rooms, they are double size. Not sure how to get them but I've gotten lucky a few times.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Hola! This is just a little thank you note for your nice review! Please contact me if you need anything from us for your next visit! Esteban

Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed one night upon arrival and one night before departing Costa Rica. The hotel was clean and beautifully appointed with TV, coffee service, and a pull-out tray at the desk for dining, writing, or computer work in the room. The breakfast buffet was extensive and the best we encountered in 12 days of travel throughout the country. A small bottle of water was provided in the room, although water was drinkable from the faucet. The staff was polite and efficient, and everything worked beautifully, with the exception of the thermostat on my last night. There was a power outage on the day of departure, but the emergency generator kicked in, and the elevators continued to work. Water pressure was good, and the temperature remained fairly constant in the shower. We were within easy walking distance of restaurants, shops, and parks, and the "sights" of the city (The Gold & Jade Museum, the Central Market, and the Theatre) were not far away. This was part of a tour, so I can't speak to the value, but since the tour was not terribly expensive, I would assume that the rate was not exorbitant.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side of the hotel have a better view than those on the front and less street noise. You get a nice view of the mountains and the rising sun.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 25, 2013

A comfortable hotel is a not very attractive part of the city. Handy for fast food joints, better restaurants & supermarkets on Paseo Colon. The city centre is about 20 minutes walk away, but five minutes walk in the other direction takes you to the more relaxing atmosphere of La Sabana Park – ideal for a post-breakfast walk.

We stayed at the Tryp for one night at the beginning of our two week trip to CR and one night at the end. Both rooms were on the 9th floor – great views across the city towards mountain – but still constant traffic hum. From the room on the south side of the hotel we also heard club music until 4.00AM. The hotel itself isn’t that noise proof, but thankfully our neighbours were considerate.

Both rooms were large & well-decorated, clean & with air-con., a good temperature to sleep. Ample hot water, toiletries and towels & tea/coffee making facilities. We ate one lunch in the restaurant - we decided to have a sandwich, but it was so well supported with add-ons that we didn’t need much that evening. Breakfasts are excellent, with a wide range of hot & cold foods available at the buffet.

Hotel staff are friendly & efficient … & the lobby porter is a real star.

An ideal hotel for one night or business trip.

Room Tip: 9th Floor, facing north
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple