“Modern hotel with great service”

Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana
Ranked #12 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We just returned from staying 7 nights at the Tryp hotel. The room was great. Very clean and nicely designed. The beds were comfortable and the housekeeper, Irene did a great job cleaning and supplying what we needed. The room came with a safe and I appreciated that. I had room service a couple of time and it was good and fast arriving. One night I had trouble with my room phone when calling room service and couldn't put in the order but within a few minutes someone was at my door to take my order. The front desk was very accommodating and service oriented. The buffet breakfast was great. Waffles, omelet bar, fresh fruit, pastries, gallo pinto. All included in the price of the room. If I had to think of a negative it would be the street noise in the morning. Not the hotel's fault but for light sleepers, take ear plugs.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
eoreamuno, General Manager at Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Greetings from San José! Thank you very much for your review, it´s so nice to read such beautiful reviews..thanks for your time and we´ll be here for your next visit.
Esteban

Write a ReviewReviews (1,064)

Reviewed January 18, 2013

I recently stayed at TRYP for one night stay. I stayed there to have a more convenient location to stay the night before my flight. I arrived a few minutes before 2pm and my room was not ready, that was not an issue because I knew check in time was after 2pm. I went to the restaurant in the meantime and had lunch from the buffet which was good. The restaurant is beautiful. I tried it again for dinner and the food was bland, no flavor, it was just edible. It was not worthy for dinner.The next day I tried the comp breakfast and they had a huge selection of things, great breakfast!

The staff was accomodating but were not as friendly as I expected. The FD staff assist me with the international call issue because it wasn't working from my room, it kept saying "all lines are busy, please try again later" so I went to the FD a couple of times and they let me use their phone to make a short international phone call.

The room: bed was big, a nice king size bed, very comfortable. Room was a decent size, perfect for one night stay. The bathroom was OK, maybe a little small, but the amenities were very good.

I will suggest consistency with what they offer, international phone calls, and also maybe they can install an additional computer in the lobby. But, these things are offered compliemntary so can't really complaint about that.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and I will probably stay there again because it's a clean and modern hotel at a great price. I work for a Wyndham propery in NYC and know what to expect.

Room Tip: a room on a high floor to avoid street noise. I asked for this and I got it.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2013

My friend and I stayed here on two separate nights, a week apart. The location was convenient for us to head into the down town area by taxi and to the airport.

On the first evening we stayed in a premium double room and on the second evening in a double room. Both times we were on the upper floors, away from the elevators. The premium double room had more space than what we knew to do with. It came with a kitchenette, although we only made use of the fridge. The double room was much smaller, but had ample space for us. The rooms were comfortable and modern. San Jose is a noisy city, though I had no problem sleeping.

The free wi-fi and free international calling came in handy, though on our second night the free international calling wasn't working.

We partook in the buffet breakfast. There was good variety and even an omelette station. During our second stay, we had an early check out and asked if they could put together a packaged breakfast. They did - it came with a sandwich, juice, yoghurt and fruit.

You can process your exit tax at the hotel, instead of at the airport for an extra $2. They will also arrange for a shuttle to the airport, but the cost for two people is more than for a taxi ride.

For the most part staff were friendly.

Overall it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Anita49
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed here the two first nights of our trip to costa rica. Ca 15 minutes drive by taxi from the airport. About 20min walk to city centre. Got two double beds at the standard room. A bit noisy from the street, and I'm pretty sure that we could hear a guest sneeze at the neighbour room... Good breakfast in a nice restaurant who also serve a la carte dinner. Very small, quite hot excercise room. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I have stayed here at least 10 times. Actually I was staying there when it use to be called Days Hotel Sabana. I have stayed here with my husband numerous times. On my own, just me and my baby. And some of our staff from the Iboga House has stayed here too.

The rooms are clean, modern and comfortable. The staff was so accommodating when I was there alone with my 2.5 month old baby. That was back in June 2011 and one of the front desk staff went to the store and bought me diapers and again in August 2012 when my husband was buying a truck for a business one of the bell men did a run for baby wipes and diapers for me. The food in the restaurant is great too and breakfast was always included when I was there.

This is my first choice in the Sabana (San Jose, Costa Rica) area. Prices are pretty great for what you get. It was originally about $170 for a larger suite with a little office, king bed and big flat screen tv. They even give us a great discount now that we've been a few times and we pay a lot less now.

Room Tip: I like 808. It's spacious. With a lot of view. In the colder seasons make sure to check to make...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We have been here three times during our 15 day adventure in this lovely country.

The staff is ever pleasant and helpful. All three rooms have been spot clean, well appointed and comfortable. Breakfast is presented with a Costa Rican flare that is very tasty as well as fun.

Location is perfect. Easy walk to fast food of all descriptions (bring colones for McDonalds!), authentic restaurants - understand from travelers that all meals here were delicious as well - and grocery stores. We often buy wine, cheese and bread and eat in our room at the end of a long day!

Deb Wimberly
Pinehurst, NC

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Nice hotel but a little noisy. I stayed here on two occasions a week a part in March 2012 The traffic from the street can be heard in rooms because the windows don' t keep out the noise out. Rooms were clean with great pillows and bedding. Nice modern touches. The restaurant was good with staff very friendly.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo