“Clean, comfortable and modern rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana

Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana
Ranked #13 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
Toronto
“Clean, comfortable and modern rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

My friend and I stayed here on two separate nights, a week apart. The location was convenient for us to head into the down town area by taxi and to the airport.

On the first evening we stayed in a premium double room and on the second evening in a double room. Both times we were on the upper floors, away from the elevators. The premium double room had more space than what we knew to do with. It came with a kitchenette, although we only made use of the fridge. The double room was much smaller, but had ample space for us. The rooms were comfortable and modern. San Jose is a noisy city, though I had no problem sleeping.

The free wi-fi and free international calling came in handy, though on our second night the free international calling wasn't working.

We partook in the buffet breakfast. There was good variety and even an omelette station. During our second stay, we had an early check out and asked if they could put together a packaged breakfast. They did - it came with a sandwich, juice, yoghurt and fruit.

You can process your exit tax at the hotel, instead of at the airport for an extra $2. They will also arrange for a shuttle to the airport, but the cost for two people is more than for a taxi ride.

For the most part staff were friendly.

Overall it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Anita49

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Turkish first
Tromso, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed here the two first nights of our trip to costa rica. Ca 15 minutes drive by taxi from the airport. About 20min walk to city centre. Got two double beds at the standard room. A bit noisy from the street, and I'm pretty sure that we could hear a guest sneeze at the neighbour room... Good breakfast in a nice restaurant who also serve a la carte dinner. Very small, quite hot excercise room. Would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013
Liberia, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

I have stayed here at least 10 times. Actually I was staying there when it use to be called Days Hotel Sabana. I have stayed here with my husband numerous times. On my own, just me and my baby. And some of our staff from the Iboga House has stayed here too.

The rooms are clean, modern and comfortable. The staff was so accommodating when I was there alone with my 2.5 month old baby. That was back in June 2011 and one of the front desk staff went to the store and bought me diapers and again in August 2012 when my husband was buying a truck for a business one of the bell men did a run for baby wipes and diapers for me. The food in the restaurant is great too and breakfast was always included when I was there.

This is my first choice in the Sabana (San Jose, Costa Rica) area. Prices are pretty great for what you get. It was originally about $170 for a larger suite with a little office, king bed and big flat screen tv. They even give us a great discount now that we've been a few times and we pay a lot less now.

Room Tip: I like 808. It's spacious. With a lot of view. In the colder seasons make sure to check to make...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Pinehurst, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

We have been here three times during our 15 day adventure in this lovely country.

The staff is ever pleasant and helpful. All three rooms have been spot clean, well appointed and comfortable. Breakfast is presented with a Costa Rican flare that is very tasty as well as fun.

Location is perfect. Easy walk to fast food of all descriptions (bring colones for McDonalds!), authentic restaurants - understand from travelers that all meals here were delicious as well - and grocery stores. We often buy wine, cheese and bread and eat in our room at the end of a long day!

Deb Wimberly
Pinehurst, NC

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel but a little noisy. I stayed here on two occasions a week a part in March 2012 The traffic from the street can be heard in rooms because the windows don' t keep out the noise out. Rooms were clean with great pillows and bedding. Nice modern touches. The restaurant was good with staff very friendly.

Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights and couldn't wait to get out. I'll start by making the disclaimer that I normally stay in new "fresh" hotels because I really don't like older dusty places. In this case, even though they did a good job of redecorating this older hotel -as shown in the pictures, which is why I chose it-, it still feels old, in large part because of a strong smell (maybe trapped air because the windows were not designed to be opened ever, and/or there was an A/C outage when I was there). The bed was not firm at all and definitely caused me back pain for a few days (note: I travel a lot and sleep in many types of beds with no issue). They had a couple of nice details, such as bringing chocolates at the end of the day, and, when I didn't like a soup in the restaurant, they automatically took it off the bill. Other details that were not great: the coffee maker wasn't working, and the cleaning person didn't pick up a cup with a tea bag in it the entire time I was there... I didn't ask it to be changed just to see how long it'd take them to do it...it may still be there for all I know!
If you're driving one thing to consider is the parking lot. It's located in a completely separate property and it closes at 10 or 11 p.m., so if you're coming late at night you have to have a phone to call the hotel so somebody comes to open. This is very inconvenient, not to mention having to cross the street at night, or in the rain, or carrying a laptop, etc., which is not the safest thing to do in San Jose.

Room Tip: If you're driving one thing to consider is the parking lot. It's located in a completely sep...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Room size was a bit small however the hotel is very convenient in a safe area in San Jose, included breakfast was very good with fresh fruit, waffles, omelets, Costa Rican rice and beans etc. Parking was in a gated lot opp the hotel with an attendant. Internet and International calls were free, Fitness center very basic, very friendly staff. There are super markets, convenient stores, mobile phone stores, money exchange places, all chain food places and restaurants all around the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family