“Clean and modern style” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #13 of 83 Hotels in San Jose
“Clean and modern style”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel but a little noisy. I stayed here on two occasions a week a part in March 2012 The traffic from the street can be heard in rooms because the windows don' t keep out the noise out. Rooms were clean with great pillows and bedding. Nice modern touches. The restaurant was good with staff very friendly.

Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights and couldn't wait to get out. I'll start by making the disclaimer that I normally stay in new "fresh" hotels because I really don't like older dusty places. In this case, even though they did a good job of redecorating this older hotel -as shown in the pictures, which is why I chose it-, it still feels old, in large part because of a strong smell (maybe trapped air because the windows were not designed to be opened ever, and/or there was an A/C outage when I was there). The bed was not firm at all and definitely caused me back pain for a few days (note: I travel a lot and sleep in many types of beds with no issue). They had a couple of nice details, such as bringing chocolates at the end of the day, and, when I didn't like a soup in the restaurant, they automatically took it off the bill. Other details that were not great: the coffee maker wasn't working, and the cleaning person didn't pick up a cup with a tea bag in it the entire time I was there... I didn't ask it to be changed just to see how long it'd take them to do it...it may still be there for all I know!
If you're driving one thing to consider is the parking lot. It's located in a completely separate property and it closes at 10 or 11 p.m., so if you're coming late at night you have to have a phone to call the hotel so somebody comes to open. This is very inconvenient, not to mention having to cross the street at night, or in the rain, or carrying a laptop, etc., which is not the safest thing to do in San Jose.

Room Tip: If you're driving one thing to consider is the parking lot. It's located in a completely sep...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Room size was a bit small however the hotel is very convenient in a safe area in San Jose, included breakfast was very good with fresh fruit, waffles, omelets, Costa Rican rice and beans etc. Parking was in a gated lot opp the hotel with an attendant. Internet and International calls were free, Fitness center very basic, very friendly staff. There are super markets, convenient stores, mobile phone stores, money exchange places, all chain food places and restaurants all around the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank goodytravel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Very comfortable hotel.
Very clean and the rooms is big with very nice design.
The hotel staff are very friendly and patient , helping us in direction how to go to places. The briefest is very nice.
Near the hotel there is bus station , 20 minutes from the airport.
I had a good time!

• Stayed December 2012
Monument, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

When we arrived on the evening of December 10th the was no bellboy to carry luggage up 12 front steps after we had been told they would do it and had waited 10 minutes.
Never showed up even when we were checking in. The next morning the man on duty was Mario and he was SUPER.
When we returned for our second stay Mario remembered me from last time, took our luggage from our hands and took them quickly to our room. Helped us get a second chair in the room.
When we returned for our third visit he greeted us with open arms, brought our luggage to our room, returned with our storage suitcase and then gave both my wife and I a Christmas gift. He is so full of life and energy!

We had very difficult problems with front desk staff in all three visits to the Tryp Sabana. Would not look at me when I spoke, were very distracted, non-caring, aloof. On the 24th I asked for the wash that had been left and was told it would be sent to my room. Two hours later still no clothes. I was then told that I had not signed for them. When I showed the receipt to the young lady who had asked me to sign, "Oh, I forgot."
This is the reason we rated this hotel Very Good instead of excellent. Front desk people are the first contact with the customer.

All the rooms were super, clean, neat, and well appointed.
The internet was very fast and worked very well.

Breakfast buffet was the best we had in all our stays in 15 days in Costa Rica.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Southport, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

arrival at the hotel was non eventful -- Just what you want after a days journey. the room is nicely appointed and very clean. Had tapas and wine in the restaurant...delicious. Internet access was easily accomplished by my wife. A little bit of traffic noise outside but not too distracting.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lyon, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

If you take in account prize-quality this is a wonderful hotel! The staff is very friendly, always with a smile in their faces even if they have a lot of work. You can easily walk downtown. The food is really nice.

• Stayed December 2012