“Overrated and variable”

Ranked #11 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Coulsdon, Chipstead, Surrey, United Kingdom
“Overrated and variable”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed in the hotel three times over a two week period and had three different rooms. The first, tiny with one bed and a large pillar in the middle such that one of us had to stay in bed while the other moved about the room. The second, still small but with two decent beds and the third vast with two enormous beds - could have got a billiard table in there. The breakfast was a low average with staff very slow to clear tables and bring coffee. The hotel is close to the park but apart from that the nearest things are car rental offices and fast food outlets. The city centre is about 20-30 minutes walk away.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Turkish first
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I only stayed one night at this hotel, and thank goodness for it. The hotel looks great from the outside, but the things that make a hotel great were severely lacking in our experience. The wait staff in the restaurant were unhelpful and sometimes even rude and the front desk staff was not friendly. It seems a lot of people had very different experiences than us, but in our opinion it was not the staff's fault but rather lack in good training for their staff. Our room seemed very clean, but I left with flea bites on my legs. We were pretty sure they were in the carpet, because my husband had none and I sat on the carpet to pack our bag. If you are looking for a nice hotel but don't care about the service, I'm sure you will enjoy this hotel. But if you are looking for a hotel with a great experience, choose a different one.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tuehien144
eoreamuno, General Manager at Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Hello. It´s so sad to read your review, I´m very sorry you had such a terrible experience with us. Getting this review on a Friday really spoils the week! As you can read the majority of our reviews are positive, so I just can´t imagine how our staff disapointed you so much. Is there any pointers you can give me like date of stay? names? etc so I can investigate internally. If you can send me your email address so I can send you an official letter appologizing. Regards, Esteban Oreamuno
Reviewed October 31, 2012

A great place to stay. The service was very good and the people were very friendly. The included breakfast was very good including a waffle maker and they fix you an omelette to your specifications. The location was close to most places we visited downtown. It is close to good reastaurants and to fast food places if that is what you prefer. An interesting plus is that international calls are free.
I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I am a frequent guest at the hotel, every time I return they remember my name. the check in is fast, the service in the restaurant is always friendly and the room is well maitinaed and clean. the location is great. close enough to get arround for business meeting and to Escazu for shopping and dining.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dominical, Costa Rica
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My fiance and I stayed the weekend at the TRYP while visiting friends in San Jose. The hotel was nice, clean, and affordable. The free continental breakfast each morning was phenomenal. Only reason I did not give it 5-stars was the parking. The parking attendant left early on Friday (by 10:30) and even earlier Saturday (by 8 pm). On Saturday, we were forced to leave our car parked on the street, and worried about it all night, waking twice to the sound of car alarms (not ours).

But overall, pleasant staff, clean hotel, good buy if you are going to stay in San Jose.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tampa
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I spend the last day of a 6 day trip at Tryp to take in a bit of Costa Rican Culture- I wish I hadn’t. The man who checked us in was not that friendly, nor was he rude. I had a voucher for a free room upgrade and at first, he said the hotel was full. He made a call, no one answered but he upgraded our room anyhow. He did explain that it was free international calls so that was a perk. The room was pretty good, considering that the building itself left much to be desired. Like mentioned in other reviews, it's Noisy...and it's obvious that the window are too thin. The bed was comfortable and they provided a free bottle of water. The room also came with free breakfast- IT WAS AWESOME=) Being that everyone warned us to return to the hotel before sunset we had little to do once we were back. There’s no gym, pool, or anything for guest really to do. Most of the channels were in Spanish and the English channels either had no sound or kept going out due to loss of signal. We went to happy hour and spoke to the bar tender for a bit. He was super nice and we enjoyed our conversation with him. The airport ride for $27 is a bit ridiculous, I wish I stayed at a hotel that included airport transfer and that was closer to the shopping center.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shai22
eoreamuno, General Manager at Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Shai22, Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review, that helps us focus on the weak areas that we want to improve in order to provide our customers and great experience. I would also like to highlight that thanks to our guests’ comments we started a double-glass work in our rooms and now all the 5th floor is noise-proof, hopefully by the end of this year, we will have 100% of our rooms done.
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were passing through San Jose and stayed here twice -both times the rooms were clean,large and bright. The lobby and lobby bar was modern and comfortable. Really excellent value for money even for affordable San Jose. The generous breakfast buffet included in the cost provided fresh fruit, cook yourself waffles, design your own omlettes - very satisfying. Also as noted, international calls are Free! Mario the porter was helpful and always cheery in a friendly, unobsequious way - he should give lessons! The front desk staff was also accommodating when a room change was requested.
There are some inside rooms so if you want to avoid traffic noise (minimal anyway for noisy SJ) and light these are available. A nice find and I'd happily return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Peytonsage
Dear Paytonsage, Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a nice note, we are more than happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and breakfast. You are totally right, we wish we had more people like Mario! Hopefully we will have you and your family back in the near future.