“Beautiful Hotel”

Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana
Ranked #11 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I recently stayed at the newly renovated Tryp Sabana Hotel in San Jose for a couple of nights. I am not sure what the former property looked like, but the renovation was a great success. Having stayed in many different luxury hotels around the world, I can honestly say that this is a great addition to the San Jose area. The hotel is in walking distance to the Sabana Park, and there are various nightclubs and attractions to keep you busy at night. Overall, I really enjoyed the property, from the great drinks and food in the lounge/bar area to the amenities and room cleanliness. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ChefCharles
eoreamuno, Director of Sales at Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Dear ChefCharles, Greetings from San Jose, Costa Rica! I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and food; we are convinced we have a good product and work hard to keep up in service and quality. Check us out anytime!

There are newer reviews for Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Positive: The staff is friendly and extremely helpful. I asked for a quiet room and the manager gave me a large room on the 9th floor. The views of the city from the room were very beautiful and I could see the sunrise. The room is large, clean and the beds are very comfortable. Also there are free local & International calls. The breakfast buffet includes fresh fruit, rolls, cereals, yogurt and eggs made to order.

Negative: the walls are very thin, I could hear the people in the room next door. If you want to be in the center of San Jose, this would not be the place. I stayed her because it was a 15 minute bus ride to my dentist near the MultiPlaza.

Room Tip: Top Floor for good views.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank amg14

Dear amg14, Greetings from San Jose, Costa Rica! We highly appreciate you taking the time to write a review, your comments are not taken lightly and we are working in making it more comfortable and quiet for all our guests.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

We stayed here before flying out to the US next day. The accommodations and restaurant were excellent. New and beautiful--a stylish retreat from the rough adventure we had just diminished. However I would not recommend this place to alight sleeper. The windows are single-paned and the noise of San Jose traffic (they like their horns) comes through the windows. I slept okay and would likely stay here again.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 0-Excelsior-0
eoreamuno, General Manager at Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2012

Hello! greetings from San José! Thanks for taking the time and writing your review. We are working right now on fixing the windows of the hotel...pretty soon that won´t be a problem! Thanks again and we´ll be waiting for your next visit.

Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed very busy during our vacation in Costa Rica, each night returning to the Tryp Sabana in San Jose was an extreme pleasure. When it was time to relax, and recharge, our hotel choice was right on target. The rooms are very comfortable, and well appointed, with a staff that was very helpful in every way. Breakfast was included in our rate, and it was fabulous.... omlets made to order, and fruit, waffles, cereal, anything you might want. One night we stayed in the hotel for dinner, another pleasent surprise. If your travel plans take you to San Jose, Costa Rica I suggest staying at the Tryp Sabana Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank been2egypt
eoreamuno, General Manager at Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2012

Dear traveller,

Thank you very much for your nice and thorough review...I will print it and post it in the staff area, so they all can read and feel proud of the service they are providing. We hope to serve you in the future..thanks again!

Reviewed April 30, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here twice in 2 weeks....once at the beginning and then at the end of a 2 week OAT trip. We stayed in Rm 701 the first night, a nice corner room with a King bed, and then in 602 on the return, a 2-Queen room. The rooms were very clean, the only concern in 602 was the shower floor...very slippery (701 had a mat). We actually had dinner in the hotel restaurant the first night, and it was very good, although a bit expensive. We were there on a Tuesday night first...no noise to speak of, from either the outside or our neighbors. On our return, a Saturday night, we did hear the deep bass of music from somewhere all night long. In neither room did I hear the traffic-noise people speak of. We did have the complementary breakfast the after first night (we left the second morning at 4:30 a.m.; we were supposed to get a "box breakfast" but did not receive it). The breakfast, at least at 7:00 a.m. was spectacular, although the guy serving coffee seemed to ignore people on a regular basis for some reason!).

We had our transfers back and forth from the airport from our Tour, so can not comment on that. Night life was a non-issue for us as we were not interested in that aspect. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. If you need to contact the Hotel before your visit for anything at all, email Esteban, who comments on these reviews...he will answer you immediately and do his best to get what you need! I wish I had the time while I was there to thank him.

Having read the somewhat mixed reviews, I was concerned about the quality of this place, but I can tell you having just been there, and having travelled a lot in the USA and South America, that this is a very nice place indeed. I can see the concern of some given the somewhat "sketchy" nature of the streets around this hotel that going back and forth by foot might be a bit of a worry, but given our circumstances, the Tryp Sabana was a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mike R

Dear Mr. Mike R,

Greetings from San José, Costa Rica! Thanks for your review..I´m happy to hear you had a good time with us. I will definitely take a close look at what happen with the coffee issue...they should be pouring our good costarrican coffee!!!

I´m sorry I miss you here...we had a busy month...so it kept me running back and forth...but I´m glad we emailed before your arrival...thanks again for your nice and honest review...I hope to see you around here in the near future.

Reviewed April 29, 2012

Given the variable ratings, I wasn't certain what to expect. It was a very clean hotel, nicely appointed rooms, pleasant and helpful staff and a very nice included breakfast. My 5 year old daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights and found it much better than most hotels for the price. It was across the street from the city park - which we enjoyed each evening (along with many residents of San Jose); and found the walk (~2 km) to the heart of downtown to be without difficulty. The noise previously commented by others was not an issue - but we both sleep soundly. Room views vary - ours was over the skyline and surrounding mountains. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 1Happy1Traveler1

Dear HappyTraveller,

Hola! My name is Esteban and I´m the GM at the Tryp Sabana Hotel...I just want to drop you a thank you note for taking the time and writing your nice review...is very important for us to hear our guests are checking out happy, feeling they got good value for their money. On behalf of the entire staff, thanks again and we hope to serve you in the near future.

Reviewed April 28, 2012

I was upgraded to a Premium suite. A really big room, comfortable bed with a new chocolate awaiting me on the pillow daily. Great view of the city from the window, helpful staff at reception. Overall, one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in.
With that in mind, a few things to consider - the location is right in the city, which is not a safe place to hang around at night, there are also drunk teenagers around on an almost daily basis, so if exiting the hotel - it's usually straight to a taxi. so location-wise, it could have been in a better environment.
Also, most staff, like most people in San Jose, don't really know English. The people at reception however, do speak it, so it's not really an issue.
Overall, I very much enjoyed my time in the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Hola! thank you very much for your review, I´m happy to hear you had a great time with us.

I would only like to comment that is not exactly true that on a daily baisis you see drunk teenagers around the hotel..it´s true there is a nightclub close to the hotel but we don´t see drunk teenagers every night...this is my appreciation. But again, thanks for your nice review.

Regards,