“Far exceeded expectations”

Ranked #11 of 76 Hotels in San Jose
London
“Far exceeded expectations”
Reviewed February 7, 2012

I had to overnight in SJ after a looong journey across the border from Nicaragua and this was the perfect haven. Extremely welcoming, clued-up staff who had plenty of suggestions, booked a very smooth transfer to my next destination (Arenal) and really looked after me as a woman travelling on my own. The little guy who welcomed me into the lobby was a real gem, especially when he showed me up to the room with my mountain of luggage.
The restaurant had lovely food and wine.
The room itself was great.... extremely comfortable and I had a very good night's sleep.
This place has got things right, bravo.

• Stayed February 2012
eoreamuno, General Manager at Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
Dear Samba-Jo,

Hola! what a beautiful review!!..I will make sure the "little-guy" Don Mario reads it, he will be very happy...Thanks again for your time...and for your positive comments. We look forward to wine and dine you in the near future!
Esteban Oreamuno

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Turkish first
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed February 1, 2012

The staff was super friendly. We had a coupon for a free room upgrade and we got this amazing suite with wrap around windows. Such an amazing view. The room was clean, the breakfast was good and it was only a few block walk to both the Avenida Central (pedestrian-only street mall)/Plaza de la Cultura and Sabana Park. Definitely a good location for a one night stay.
The only thing that was less than optimal about my stay was the noise at night. The traffic noise wasn't bad, but on the 5th floor we could still clearly hear people outside, because there was some sort of rave at a club that sat in the same building as the hotel. However, with ear plugs in, I slept pretty well!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
eoreamuno, Director of Sales at Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear JennyL,
Thank you for your taking the time to write a note on Trip Advisor, it helps us big time to improve our service and areas we may want to tune up, I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed our food, room and location, I am very glad to tell you that we are currently working in the windows to make it more comfortable to sleep for our guests, hopefully pretty soon we will have a more silent hotel! Best regards, Hotel Management.
Region of Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed January 20, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights - one at the beginning at one at the end of our G Adventures family tour. Nice place. Checked in and out easily enough. Our first room was good - comfy, clean and modern. We ate wraps with fries at the hotel restaurant (as the buffet seemed a little pricey) which was good. On the last night of our tour we got a corner room and the view of San Jose at night was spectacular! Again the room was great but Shower floor was slippery though and my daughter fell. We liked this place - it's a good place to stay in SJ. One thing though, the free international calls didn't work. We got a strange tone before making calls and even though it sounded like the call was going through and ringing, it wasn't. This happened both nights we tried and staff weren't really interested in the problems we had trying to connect. Other than that though we would recommend this place. We didn't have any time to experience San Jose so I can't comment on location etc.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank tlr519
eoreamuno, General Manager at Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
Dear guest,

Greetings from sunny Costa Rica. Thank you very much for your nice review...I´m sorry to hear your daughter slipped in the shower...I assume she´s ok? Due to your review, today I approved the purchase order to buy anti-slippery mats for the showers...in order to prevent another accident, thanks again for your constructive suggestion. It´s a shame also to hear the int´ phone system didn´t work, I just made a phone call and it went through from my office, so I will investigate what´s happening in the rooms. Thanks again and please let us know if you are coming down here again...Yours truly,
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Had 2 night here and paid 86 dollars pr night including breakfast (which were ok).
They have a small gym, but no pool.
Rooms were small but clean with big tv and international channels.
We liked the hotel and thought it was good value for money.
The hotel is a 15-20min walk from the center of the town, but it was fine with us, because we found it more attractive than the center.
The windows are not tight so there was noise from the streets outside...it didn't bother us but if you wake up easily I could imagine it could be a problem.
We would probably have rated the hotel 3.5 if it was possible, but as 3 is a bit on the low side we give it 4

• Stayed January 2012
Dear Guest,

Hello...thanks for taking the time and writing a review of our hotel..we´re always trying to improve in everything and with the help and feedback from our guests is a lot easier. Thank you very much on behalf of the entire staff of the Tryp by Wyndham Hotel.
London
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Before we arrived, knowing we would need to check in late, we emailed the hotel to advise accordingly - and recieved a response saying we would be fine to check in whenever we arrived. When we reached the Tica Bus station we hailed a cab, the driver asked us to call the hotel to check the address. The person we spoke to told us that the hotel was now closed - and that our reservation had been cancelled. In fact we were 2 hours earlier than we had suggested, it was still only 11pm.

Imagine being stranded in a bad area of San Jose with nowhere to go to. Not a nice predicament. We were very cross, but asked the driver to take us to the hotel all the same. For some reason the driver followed the given address, which appears to lead you to the entrance to the Colon Building. There is a side entrance through the Colon Building to the hotel - which was indeed shut. But on the opposite side the hotel has a separate entrance to the wider world - the very one you see in the pictures.

So - either the driver got it wrong or the address is misleading. Either is possible. What I struggle to understand is why the man on the desk told us that our reservation had been cancelled, despite being 2 hours earlier than expected, and why he also lied and said the hotel was closed. When we checked in we asked if the man checking us in was the same man we had spoken to - he admitted he was. He then dug out our paperwork and said the reservation was fine - but no apology for scaring us. Very disappointing from a supposedly up-market hotel.

That aside I shall try to review fairly.

On the upside - our room was huge, the shower/toilet facilities clean, the other staff friendly and welcoming, the beds very comfy, and it was located in fairly a safe area - a close walk to a nice park and several fast food restaurants.

On the downside - the noise from conferences/meetings can travel through the elevator shafts (one night there was much singing/shouting), the "exercise" room has just 3 machines and is in a cramped room opposite reception, and the bar/restaurant felt a little overpriced. Also the casino inside the hotel is just a room full of slot machines, with one electronic roulette table. Also, on Sunday the breakfast was not up to the standard of other days - e.g. No omelette station and staples ran out and were not replaced as they had been on other days.

Summary: Our room was great, but the overall facilities felt a little lacking, and one bad employee put a negative spin on what would have been a nice hotel. Most of the staff had been very friendly.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 7th Floor felt smaller than on the 6th. Plus the decor looked older.
Dear Mr. Darren B,

Greetings from San José, Costa Rica. First of all, I´m very sorry to hear your Costa Rica trip started on the left foot...It´s incredible for me to digest the series of events the way they where handle..I already had two meetings with the night audit receptionists...we read your review several times, and they don´t recall the incident, do you happen to know the name of the clerk that made the mistake? one situation that happens very often is that the taxi drivers have prefer hotels to take their clients because they get commision...there´s a slight chance your driver tried to confuse you in order to take you to his "favorite" hotel, it´s a posibility. Anyway, please let us know if you need to return to San Jose and we´ll make it up to you, I promise. On one aspect I have to disagree is that our decor looks older, since it´s only 1 year old, and owners invested $2 million only in decor and furniture, everything was bought brand new from a local company name Nalakalú.
Yours truly,
Carrollton, Georgia
Reviewed January 18, 2012

San Jose is noisy and crowded. But this hotel made it very accessible and comfortable. Trendy rooms and common areas. Excellent service with front desk calling taxis for you- the taxis would arrive within 2 minutes. Breakfast buffet was complete and very yummy with good coffee. Rooms were a bit small and I think I stayed in the smallest (makes sense because I had a great discount online). Carpets could use updating but the rest of the room was nicely upgraded, especially the bathroom. Would like to have had down/feather pillow options.

Would recommend.

Room Tip: Higher floor away from main road are quieter. But expect to hear traffic noise during the day no ma...
Dear Angela P,

Hola! thanks for your review..we´re happy to hear you had a good time in our hotel...and thanks for the tips for all the future guests...again, I appreciate your honest and objective review.

Panama City, Panama
Reviewed January 13, 2012

To put this review into context, I'll shall start by saying I am not a big fan of cities. I'd much rather be out of the city and closer to nature. So I don't have much to say about the location fo this hotel, except the practical facts.

Tryp Hotel is within the downtown area of San Jose. It is super close to a major park, which may be a plus for those staying for a few days and who like to get a little reprieve from the concrete jungle. It's also very close to the Pan American highway (HW 1) so easy to access if driving from out of the city (from the North or South, for instance). There is a MasXMinus (supermarket) store two blocks away if you need to pick up any supplies.

The complimentary breakfast was substantial, with a lot of options. It's one of the best I've seen in a hotel (although admittedly I don't stay in hotels often). Plenty of fruit, various kinds muesli, granola, and standard packaged breakfast cereals (corn flakes, etc.). There were four or five hot dishes (beans and rice, sausages, and a few other things I don't recall). It was also possible to have a fresh omelet made right there on the spot, with numerous goodies to go in it (mushrooms, tomatoes, onion, etc.). Tea, coffee, herbal teas, and juices were all available. Sorry, but I can't say whether the juices were fresh or from concentrate as I did not try them. Personally, I only eat organically grown, vegetarian, unprocessed food, so most of what was on offer was not of interest to me, but that's due to my preferences rather than the food on offer. I ate fruit, which was sufficient for me. If I wanted something hot, the black beans & rice dish would have done the trick.

Service was excellent. I emailed the Hotel Manager right after making my online booking (through Hotelclub.com, which had the best price) and he responded within minutes. I'd asked to be assigned a room that was quiet and away from traffic noise. He put us on the 9th (top) floor. We had a great view of the city, and no issues with noise.

I needed to print out a flight reservation. The reception printed it without fuss, and at no charge. They shuttle/taxi they arranged for getting us to the Pavas Airport in the morning was without trouble, and at the regular taxi price (about $12 to Pavas, which is about 10 to 15 minutes drive away).

The free Internet service worked well and was had no speed issues that I noticed. The free international phone calls (via VOIP / Internet phone) worked well. You make the call through the normal room telephone, just dialling 07 before the country code and number. NOTE: It can take even as long as 30 seconds for the phone to start ringing... so don't hang up early thinking it's not worked (which is what my partner thought and did).

The hotel itself is fresh, clean, and very new. Modern and tasteful décor throughout. The kingsize bed was comfortable. Not too soft, but not super hard.

Tryp takes steps towards being ecologically conscious. I have no idea if they use ecological / biodegradable / non-toxic cleaning and laundry products (I forgot to ask, but intended to). They give the option to not have your towels and linen washed every day, which is great. They hotel industry is a huge water waster (washing everything every day, for instance).

All in all we had a very pleasant stay. The price was excellent ($87 for a kingsize bed in a relatively small room) considering the downtown location and just how modern / new the facilities where. I would stay again, for sure.

Room Tip: Request a room on a high floor to minimise city noise, and for a great city view. Ask for room on th...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
eoreamuno, General Manager at Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Dear Jonathan,

Greetings from sunny San José! On behalf of the entire Tryp Sabana staff thank you very much for your thorough review! It´s incredibly nice to read your words and realize how guests percieve our hotel. Again, thank you very much.