“Great Introduction to San Jose and Costa Rica”

Barrio Bird Walking Tours
Artist Bird - San Jose Creative Side Walking Tour
Ranked #1 of 4 Food & Drink in San Jose
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Group & Private City Tours of San Jose, Costa Rica and Central Valley day-trips. Food, History, Culture and Art.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a wonderful vacation in Costa Rica. We had an extra day in San Jose before leaving to go whitewater rafting, and decided to take a walking tour on the strength of the excellent reviews. We're very glad we did. Our guide, Mariel, combined a walking tour of architecture in the city with a fascinating introduction to the country's history and politics, and was personally warm and engaging. We're typically do-it-your-selfers when it comes to travel, but the walking tour provided insight and context that we never could have obtained on our own. We'd recommend it to anybody. Pura vida!

1  Thank Ethan S

Reviewed July 17, 2013

The Barrio Bird Walking Tours was a great excursion and deserves all the high ratings it receives. Stacey was very easy to set up the tour with and emails and correspondence was done promptly. My wife Andrea and I visited in June and did the combination Bird's Nest/Food Tour. Highly recommended.

I had lived in San Jose in the past and Stacey really opened my eyes up to all the great things about San Jose I have been missing. She is very laid back and fun to be around. We stayed at the Hotel Presidente and it was only about 2 blocks from where we met Stacey to start the tour.

I had used Tripadvisor to find this adventure and after the great level of service is when my wife and I decided we have to leave an honest review of the tour so others don't miss out on this enjoyable time.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I particularly enjoyed the walking tour because I am traveling alone. The guides are so welcoming and knowledgeable. What we visited included the perfect mix of off the usual path and historical commentary. Highly recommend this small company. I got to do the HungryBird tour and so sampled some Costa Rican fare. Very reasonable for 2 hours of accompaniment.

Bellaiis, Owner at Barrio Bird Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thanks for the feedback Jill! Mariel and I had a wonderful time showing you the best mix of San Jose! I hope you enjoy the rest of you trip!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have been to San Jose on several occasions and I wasn't sure if I would get any benefit from the Barrio Bird Walking Tour, however I was pleasantly surprised. Mariel was my guide and she gave me a wonderful tour of the city. Although I had seen many of the sites we visited on other trips Mariel updated me on the history of the buildings and the city. We also visited areas of the city I had missed and may have never discovered on my own. Whether you are a first time visitor to San Jose or like myself have visited before I highly recommend this tour. It may be the best $22 I have ever spent in San Jose.

1  Thank alhoy

Thank you for the review Al! We are honored to have such a designation from you! Hope to see you on a future trip!

Reviewed July 4, 2013

When first contacting Stacey, owner-operator of Barrio Bird Walking Tours, I was concerned about being able to clearly communicate our needs and desires through a Spanish translation. What I since learned is Stacy is actually an American who fell in love with San Jose, and now calls it home. She started Barrio Bird Walking Tours to allow the rest of us to experience what she loves about San Jose. The guide (Mariel) and driver (Alanzo) Stacey assigned to us were reliable, friendly, very knowledgeable, and excellent English-speakers.

Through the course of several email exchanges, Stacey was able to interpret our specific criteria and schedule, then put together a two-day itinerary that worked perfect for us. Alanzo met us at the airport, drove us to our hotel, then waited while we check-in and got settled, before taking us to meet our San Jose guide, Mariel. Mariel then took us under her wing, walking us around the picturesque historical district of San Jose, where she pointed out and gave us a detailed history behind each significant structure, park and point-of-interest… all the while, being extremely kind, patient and considerate of my elderly mother. At the end of the day, Alanzo again picked us up and returned us to our hotel, pointing out sights along the way.

The second day was an excellent repeat of the first, exploring different areas, enjoying lunch in a nice restaurant, and learning more about San Jose from Mariel. Stacey is very proud of her justly-earned 2012 “Certificate of Excellence” from TripAdvisor. She and Barrio Bird Walking Tours get our vote of confidence.

We had a wonderful time planning this trip for you. In fact, we liked it so much we've decided to create a more specific service around custom tours. - Thanks for working with us!