“Hmmm..”

Aldea San Jose
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Hmmm..”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I'm not quite sure what to think about this hostel. It's a very good looking hostel set in a nice building with a modern interior and spacious dorms with comfy beds. The reason why I'm undecided about this hostel is because we arrived at the busstation and hailed a taxi to take us to a different hostel. The taxi driver told us that this hostel was closed and could take us to Hostel Aldea which was closer to the busstation than the hostel we wanted to go to. I was well aware of this scam, having heard similar stories many times and convinced the driver to take us to the hostel that I initially wanted to go to, following his route on my map (as far as that was possible). He ended up taking me to a deserted rundown building (which indeed wasn't a working hostel) and after this still offered to take me to Hostel Aldea. Not having many other options, as it was raining and getting dark, I took him up on this offer and after paying twice as much was dropped off. Later I found out that the hostel I wanted to go to wasn't closed at all and was only a few streets from where the taxi driver took me in the first place (and also closer to the busstation!!).... I thus strongly have the feeling that he was getting some form of commission for taking me to aldea and I really do not like this sort of business.

Next to this I found that they were playing loud music untill pretty late and the dorm was pretty expensive!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank discobal007
AldeaStaff, General Manager at Aldea San Jose, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
First let us say how grateful we are that you took the time to review us and that you found, in all the uncertainty, something that you did like about Aldea. We at Aldea partner with many different businesses in an attempt to diversify the community of guests that visit us; whether it be travel agencies, volunteering cooperations, other hostels, etc, however are completely opposed to people being scammed and feel is in our best interest and in the interest of our guests to find out who that/those people are so that we may deal with the issue. If you could take the time to email us directly with as many details as possible, we may be able to help prevent any further missconceptions.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We arrived in Costa Rica and hopped on the bus to take us to Aldea (bus system was super easy and only cost a dollar) and once we arrived we were kindly greeted by the people at the front desk where we were then shown to our room. Hostel was very clean, spacious, and the staff was extremely helpful. We arrived on a Wednesday and the hostel was pretty empty but we didn't mind because we were super jet lagged and tired. Super close to the main market trip in San Jose, felt extremely safe in the hostel, had everything you needed, beds were comfortable, and bathrooms for the dorms were clean and spacious as well. Didn't have a single problem at Aldea and definitely recommend it for people first getting to Costa Rica or the night before leaving.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
AldeaStaff, General Manager at Aldea San Jose, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Danielle,

Thank you very much for your kind words about both our staff, and acommodations. We at Aldea are always happy to hear that we´ve excelled to meet our customers needs and standards, as we come think of you all as family. Aldea Hostel´s primary benefit is how centrally located we are, and within walking distance to not only the heart of the city but all major bus terminals as you mentioned. We are very pleased to have had you stay with us and hope to see you back during your travels.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed here twice at either end of a very busy week.

First time we had a night in dorms - very comfortable, good mattresses and a great night's sleep. Second time we treated ourselves to a private room for a relaxed weekend and it was well worth it.

Aldea is very clean, the staff are super helpful and it has hot powerful showers. Wifi throughout, good kitchen facilities and great decor. Breakfast could be better (just coffee, bananas and cookies) but the pizzeria next door is so good that it deserves a sixth star!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
AldeaStaff, General Manager at Aldea San Jose, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
First let me say how happy we are to hear from you and that we are very glad to learn that you found our commodities and decor both comfortable,relaxing and appealing. We try our hardest to provide as warm a welcome during your stay as possible and are glad to know we succeeded. The Corner Pizzeria will be happy to hear your wonderful mentions and would be grateful if in the future you could review them directly. We hope to see you back at Aldea during your travels!
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My partner and I stayed here after a very long and exhausting trip from Panama. The employees were super friendly. The beds and rooms were clean and comfortable. The atmosphere is creative and made for lounging around. There is a free pool table, good internet, clean kitchen, and it is close to the main bus station. Also seemed very gay friendly.

Room Tip: I would not recommend staying on the first floor because the rooms are right next to the common spac...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
AldeaStaff, Front Office Manager at Aldea San Jose, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Emily!

Very happy to hear from you and even happier that you had a wonderful time with us. We thrive in being creative and proving a relaxing ambiance so that travelers feel at ease after a long day. Comfort and service are priorities here at Aldea so that you may feel a home away from home during your stay and travels. Aldea proudly welcomes everyone to become part of our ever growing family.
Newcastle
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I had to be in San Jose for my flight out. Unfortunately, this was the day after Semana Santa weekend and I was coming from Nicaragua. After an entire day sitting on the bus, it was really nice to come to a clean, spacious hostel with hot water. Tica bus terminal was only a short distance from the hostel... it can be easily walked to if you know where you are going. Food wasn't a problem because there are a few places to choose from on Paseo Colon. Aldea has a pizzeria, but I wasn't able to eat there bc it's closed on Sunday's. The staff was charming and helpful. Wi-fi was available. Overall I had a pleasant second stay, but I wish there was more offered at breakfast and that it wasn't so noisy.

Room Tip: Choose a room towards the back to help with the noisy traffic...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Aldea_Hostel_Team, Guest Relations Manager at Aldea San Jose, responded to this review, January 1, 2015
Hey Rachel!

Thank you for choosing Aldea hostel and providing feedback on our service.

We are happy to hear that you were satisfied with the acommodations and that you liked the
accessibility to buses and various stores along Paseo Colon. Our hostels location is one of it's
major benefits and we're glad that it served you so well!

Hopefully on your next visit you'll have a chance to visit the restaurant “The Corner”. Guests
at Aldea receive a 5% discount on our menu items..

Once again, thank you so much for your rating and feedback and we hope to see you again
Vancouver
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This Hostel appeared really fun with its recreation room, cool artwork and outdoor kitchen BUT there are some serious drawbacks for a place that charges a very high $45 US/ Night for a private room in San Jose:
- “”Paper” thin walls, so you hear everything going on and struggle to sleep
- Televisions are not in all private rooms
– Ground floor Private room poorly located right beside the street
– Private rooms have poor or next to no window shades
-“Parking lot” for this hostel is around two vehicles max
- The most pathetic breakfast (cookies, coffee and bananas) for a Hostel I had during my entire two weeks, 7 hostel stay in this Country.
Go Somewhere else and get more bang for your buck.

Room Tip: Don't get a Private room facing the street, you will not sleep well
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kwame84
AldeaStaff, Manager at Aldea San Jose, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
We appreciate you sharing your thoughts and rating your stay with us at Aldea. All of which will be taken into consideration for the improvement of the facilities that we offer.

Firstly, thank you for your comments on our ambience and décor, we are proud of the unique vibe that we provide.

We are disappointed to hear that you were less than satisfied with your accommodations. I remember we had full bookings during your stay and were not able to move you to a room with a television as you requested because there were none available. Although some private rooms do not offer a television we have a large flat screen television in our living room for all guests to use.

Unfortunately, due to our proximity to the main street of San Jose, we do have to contend with traffic noises at times. Sorry to hear that this affected the quality of your sleep.
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

I arrived in San Jose after dark on the bus. As I got off taxi drivers swarmed. I told mine where I wanted to go & he said it was full. Which is possible as it was a Saturday night. He also told me an inflated price of my hostel, but He knew of one that was safe, & that I would like a lot. I was too tired to argue & since I don't know the city I agreed. We arrived & it seemed fine, the decor is actually kinda cool. The boy behind the desk was nice as well. The price was the most expensive I've spent during my trip. I looked up on Tripadvisor & saw the other reviews of taxi drivers being paid to bring tourists there. And then I talked to my roommates for the night & they said the same thing, that they were brought there by their driver. I just consider that shady business. I know this won't help the people just arriving, but perhaps it will help the people who do their research.

• Stayed March 2013