Aldea San Jose
$160
$155
$112
$77
Barcelo San Jose(San Jose)
$90
$60
  • Breakfast included
$77
$72
All reviewsoutdoor kitchenhot waterhostel guestsfree coffee every morningprivate room with bathattached restauranttica busmajor busperson dormshared kitchenlocation is excellentcommon areasthe staff was friendly and helpfulstayed for one nightenjoyed my staywi firooms are clean
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My partner and I stayed here after a very long and exhausting trip from Panama. The employees were super friendly. The beds and rooms were clean and comfortable. The atmosphere is creative and made for lounging around. There is a free pool table, good internet, clean kitchen, and it is close to the main bus station. Also seemed very gay friendly.

Room Tip: I would not recommend staying on the first floor because the rooms are right next to the common space. Might get noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
AldeaStaff, Front Office Manager at Aldea San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Emily!

Very happy to hear from you and even happier that you had a wonderful time with us. We thrive in being creative and proving a relaxing ambiance so that travelers feel at ease after a long day. Comfort and service are priorities here at Aldea so that you may feel a home away from home during your stay and travels. Aldea proudly welcomes everyone to become part of our ever growing family.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I had to be in San Jose for my flight out. Unfortunately, this was the day after Semana Santa weekend and I was coming from Nicaragua. After an entire day sitting on the bus, it was really nice to come to a clean, spacious hostel with hot water. Tica bus terminal was only a short distance from the hostel... it can be easily walked to if you know where you are going. Food wasn't a problem because there are a few places to choose from on Paseo Colon. Aldea has a pizzeria, but I wasn't able to eat there bc it's closed on Sunday's. The staff was charming and helpful. Wi-fi was available. Overall I had a pleasant second stay, but I wish there was more offered at breakfast and that it wasn't so noisy.

Room Tip: Choose a room towards the back to help with the noisy traffic...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Aldea_Hostel_Team, Guest Relations Manager at Aldea San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2015

Hey Rachel!

Thank you for choosing Aldea hostel and providing feedback on our service.

We are happy to hear that you were satisfied with the acommodations and that you liked the
accessibility to buses and various stores along Paseo Colon. Our hostels location is one of it's
major benefits and we're glad that it served you so well!

Hopefully on your next visit you'll have a chance to visit the restaurant “The Corner”. Guests
at Aldea receive a 5% discount on our menu items..

Once again, thank you so much for your rating and feedback and we hope to see you again

Reviewed April 5, 2013

This Hostel appeared really fun with its recreation room, cool artwork and outdoor kitchen BUT there are some serious drawbacks for a place that charges a very high $45 US/ Night for a private room in San Jose:
- “”Paper” thin walls, so you hear everything going on and struggle to sleep
- Televisions are not in all private rooms
– Ground floor Private room poorly located right beside the street
– Private rooms have poor or next to no window shades
-“Parking lot” for this hostel is around two vehicles max
- The most pathetic breakfast (cookies, coffee and bananas) for a Hostel I had during my entire two weeks, 7 hostel stay in this Country.
Go Somewhere else and get more bang for your buck.

Room Tip: Don't get a Private room facing the street, you will not sleep well
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kwame84
AldeaStaff, Manager at Aldea San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

We appreciate you sharing your thoughts and rating your stay with us at Aldea. All of which will be taken into consideration for the improvement of the facilities that we offer.

Firstly, thank you for your comments on our ambience and décor, we are proud of the unique vibe that we provide.

We are disappointed to hear that you were less than satisfied with your accommodations. I remember we had full bookings during your stay and were not able to move you to a room with a television as you requested because there were none available. Although some private rooms do not offer a television we have a large flat screen television in our living room for all guests to use.

Unfortunately, due to our proximity to the main street of San Jose, we do have to contend with traffic noises at times. Sorry to hear that this affected the quality of your sleep.

Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

I arrived in San Jose after dark on the bus. As I got off taxi drivers swarmed. I told mine where I wanted to go & he said it was full. Which is possible as it was a Saturday night. He also told me an inflated price of my hostel, but He knew of one that was safe, & that I would like a lot. I was too tired to argue & since I don't know the city I agreed. We arrived & it seemed fine, the decor is actually kinda cool. The boy behind the desk was nice as well. The price was the most expensive I've spent during my trip. I looked up on Tripadvisor & saw the other reviews of taxi drivers being paid to bring tourists there. And then I talked to my roommates for the night & they said the same thing, that they were brought there by their driver. I just consider that shady business. I know this won't help the people just arriving, but perhaps it will help the people who do their research.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Mandren
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Literally just off a bus, leaving my travel partner thus going solo, the annoying taxi man bugging me to take me somewhere had this hostel in mind.....I have no idea why! it proved to be a road angel situated just a few blocks from a office building that housed a Delta airline office, my aim for the afternoon. It was my FIRST time solo at a hostel,but I was up for the challenge. When told the hefty price for a private, I decided to go for the dorm room. $15 was alot better sounding than the $40 or whatever it was. Besides, they gave me a sheet, blanket and pillow. A towel I had with me.
A real plus was having 3 computers for us to use. I had gone days without email contact, so that was very helpful. I was given easy directions to Delta, and later to a grocery store so I could eat. the room had many bunk beds and the huge window has NO curtains. The shared bathroom had no soap, no paper, but a decent shower that had warm water in the evening. There was a TV in the lobby where I could watch the tennis match. The room was shared with a pool table many of the guys liked to use. There was a shared kitchen area, decent enough, with a frig we could leave food in. The included breakfast, which I was not told about, but luckily noticed the next morning, was coffee, banana and cookie! Coffee was the main focus, and hit the spot. That first night I didn't have to share the room....but the next night it was full and the gals coming in at 2am were not respectful, my sleep was nil. And the early riser didn't leave the toilet so I had to get up and make my way to the downstairs in hopes of finding a toilet. I will say the guys working the desk were helpful, but sleep is an issue!

Room Tip: I suppose a room on the lower level, away from roads would be less noisy.....while I was there they were filled.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
AldeaStaff, General Manager at Aldea San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

We are glad that you found your way to Aldea too, and that our location proved to be incredibly convenient for servicing your to do list while in San Jose. Our position right on Paseo Colon, the main street, ensures that you are in the centre of everything during your stay.

Hope that you enjoyed all the amenities we had to offer at Aldea, and am really happy to hear that you found the staff to be helpful. Good point about the soap though, we will keep a more watchful eye that the bathrooms have this.