“A wonderful hostel experience.”

and 1 more site!
In & Basic Hostel Lounge
New York City, New York
“A wonderful hostel experience.”
Reviewed February 27, 2011

I visited Costa Rica this month for the first time in my life and had the pleasure of staying at this hostel (not hotel) for four days. They have a website you can visit to see the specifics of this hostel so I won't go into it here, and I should mention that I am a newbie at backpacking (the trip was not a serious venture into backpacking though- phew!). My boyfriend is a super pro however and even he was pleasantly surprised by this hostel!

The hosts, Ron and Karlis, were unbelievably welcoming from the moment we arrived. They were very friendly and easy to talk to, especially since they can speak in English and Spanish. They were very informative as to which tours were the best (as well as a good bargain) and really looked out for us. I would have given the hostel four stars, but because of them I give it five.

The hostel itself is very lovely, and if you look at the pictures on their site you can see for yourself how nice the interior looks. The lounge area, where the pool table is, was a wonderful place to sit and relax and socialize. The backyard had tables and chairs to just sit out and soak in the beautiful Costa Rican weather, perhaps read a book or two also. I personally enjoyed playing pool with the different travelers who happened to be staying there.

As for the rooms, there were lots of pros and only a few cons. The first con would be that the first night we stayed there we requested a private room but the room we got was a bit small and had a very poor shower. But the hosts moved us the next night to a much better room because it had opened up (which is another example of how awesome the hosts are!). This second room was gorgeous - dark wood floors, bigger bathroom, lots of space, and lots of windows. The beds in both rooms were comfortable and I found the pillows to be fine (though perhaps a little bit lumpy). But everything was clean and well maintained.
The second possible con is that everything sort of gets turned off at 10:30. They play really good music so it has a club like feel in the evenings, but at around 10:30 they turn it all off. This is, I am assuming, because the daughter has to sleep and go to school in the morning. So if you are looking for a place where you can come in late at night after partying or something this is probably not the place for you. I, however, LOVED how quiet it got at night because we could really fall asleep in peace. So for those of you who want a good night's rest, this "con" is actually a positive thing! The neighborhood was quiet too so it was very peaceful, even with all the windows.

Breakfast is also provided for if you're on a tight budget. It consisted of pancakes with your choice of syrup, peanut butter, chocolate syrup, and jam. You also could have some fruit on the side too. The kitchen was shared by everyone but was still clean, and tea was free.

As you can tell by this very long review, I was so impressed and appreciative of the wonderful service and experience I had at this hostel. I would highly recommend staying here for those of you who are looking for a place to relax on a budget. Very much worth it!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed February 17, 2011

Clean rooms for sleeping and napping. On site computers for use and a huge big screen TV for relaxing.A relaxing veranda for reading or breakfast. The best part though is Ron and Karlis them selves. They are a wealth of information and go out of their way to help. They can arrange every thing for you from taxies to tours.Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2011

I was travelling alone, and I stayed here for my first couple of nights in San Jose.
This family run hostel is very friendly. The facilities are very good (kitchen, lounge, pool table and garden, hot showers), the rooms are very clean and spacious. The family are very welcoming and offer local food. Laundry service is available. Day trips can be arranged e.g. rafting and tours. Lots of amenities available locally - supermarkets, malls, restaurants and short walk to main road for buses into centre of town.
I really enjoyed my stay!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Costa Mesa
Reviewed August 31, 2010

This is one of the greatest hostels I've stayed at! The owners are the nicest people you'll meet! They even made us guacamole and hummus, banana pancakes and more! They are very friendly and easy to talk to. They even played games and watched movies with us! The rooms are very clean and comfortable. They also have private rooms available for people who are not comfortable with the idea of sleeping next to strangers. The Place is very modern and clean. Video games, laptop usage, a flat screen TV, free Wi-fi, coffee, tea and breakfast are all included in your $13 charge per night. They have a wonderful kitchen full of everything you'd need to do your own cooking and they will also do your laundry for $6 a load. Everything was perfect. We felt completely safe and met some great people.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
#3 of 83 in San Jose
Casa Areka
Casa Areka
#1 of 7 in San Pedro

Been to In & Basic Hostel Lounge? Share your experiences!