“Friendly and outside of San Jose”
Review of La Boruca

La Boruca
Ranked #4 of 66 San Jose B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 4, 2010

Staying with Ken at La Boruca was a real pleasure for my wife and I. Ken and his family are very personable and they go to great effort to make you comfortable. It is an easy drive to the airport with a big advantage of not being in the city, you are in the countryside. Ken's place is at the end of a long lane and it is very safe there. You can get a nice hot shower, a nice meal, and a cozy room, along with high speed internet if you need it. It is a perfect beginning and end to any trip to Costa Rica. We stayed there for dental tourism and it works for that too.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for La Boruca

Reviewed October 21, 2010

This was the place where we started and finished our tour in Costa Rica and we couldn't have picked a better place. Kenneth and his wife Anna make you feel at home immediately and with 2 teenage daughters that is worth while. The rooms are nice, the food great and the sitting area relaxing. You can be picked up from the airport or brought to the car rental by Kenneth at a very limited rate. And due to its altitude the temperature is attractive.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 28, 2010

I'm always a little apprehensive about staying in a new place, but La Boruca is simply incredible. The rooms are very nice, very well decorated and extremely comfortable - very relaxing environment. Kenneth and his wife went out of their way to ensure that this surprise birthday celebration was a success and I am forever in their debt. The beautiful gardens are out of this world and attract so many types of birds. I highly recommend La Boruca and plan on returning often.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2010

We originally booked for two nights but after only being there for 20 mins we changed it to 7! It was a nice, quite and tranquil area and the room was very comfortable (comes with it's own PC should you not have your own to use the WiFi). Because of it's location (being out of the city and not much around in terms of food) they offer meals for lunch and dinner too should you decide to hang there. And boy were the meals tasty too!

The hospitality was great, we were always greeted with a friendly smile and a chat, and the evening the power went out (a transistor box near by decided to explode) they took us out to dinner with the family because they weren't able to cook our pre-arranged dinner.

I highly recommend this place and if we return to Costa Rica, we defiantly know where we will be stay ;) - and not just because of their cute cats!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2010

I am so happy that I found this place on TripAdvisor before I booked a more traditional city-center hotel. To me, this is a much more enjoyable way to travel --staying with locals who can give me a sense of the culture and who genuinely care about making sure my vacation goes smoothly.

I arranged my trip very last-minute --the day before, in fact! Yet by the time I had arrived, Kenneth had already spoken with my tour operator, driver, and river guide. When I wanted shopping, culture, nightlife, whatever... Kenneth knew where to send me and was spot-on every time.

The rooms are in a separate building on the property of the family's home, perfect for having privacy when I wanted it, and convenient for having a home-cooked meal and travel tips when needed too. Plus, there are kittens!

I had a great time and hope to come back for a longer stay in the near future.

Pros:
*Caring, attentive, and reliable hosts who want to help you have the enjoyable visit YOU envision. True locals with extensive knowledge of the area and its people.
*Rate Includes delicious home-cooked meals customized to your dietary needs and schedule.
*Newly-built (yet not icky/modern) spacious rooms with comfortable bed and a private Internet-connected computer with pre-loaded movies in English and Spanish.
*Two very friendly and cuddly on-property kittens.
*Not located in the center of town

Cons:
*Does not accept credit cards or checks.
*Could use some more outdoor lighting for safety
*Not located in the center of town
*You will not want to leave

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank RomoRomo
Reviewed August 27, 2010

La Boruca is a wonderful place to stay outside of San Jose. It is a family run B&B that is warm and relaxing. I stayed for 2 nights while visiting San Jose and getting ready to go on a Costa Rican Adventure with a friend. We both felt safe, well taken care of and at home!

We are so glad we did not stay in San Jose proper!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 12, 2010

My boyfriend and I spent the night here before leaving Costa Rica at the beginning of August. We saw all the great reviews here and decided to give it a try, despite being, as everyone notes, about 20 minutes outside of town. The owners Ken and Suzy were wonderful, and Ken's English is impeccable, having spent several years in California. They sent someone to pick us up from the bus station when we got in from Monteverde and gave us our pick of two of their 4 lovely rooms. The style is wonderful--very modern, with king-sized beds, a beautiful glass bowl sink in the bathroom, and tasteful art. The rooms are in a building built behind their house, with views of the surrounding green hills from the veranda. Their grounds are lovely, with nice statues, a small pool, and lots and lots of greenery.

We got in a little past dinner time, but Ken kindly offered to cook us some food, and the spaghetti was great! All fresh ingredients, really flavorful. He and his wife are wonderful, always making sure everything was to our liking (it was!) and making us feel at home. The beds were comfortable, the water was hot, and the breakfast was good. Good price, too. For $10, they'll drive you to the airport themselves, which seriously saves time, hassle and money finding a cab.

I would recommend the place to anyone!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple