“Friendly, personal B&B in a beautiful setting”
Review of La Boruca

La Boruca
Ranked #5 of 66 San Jose B&B and Inns
Washington, DC
“Friendly, personal B&B in a beautiful setting”
Reviewed July 20, 2010

My friends and I stayed at La Boruca for 3 nights. Our host Ken and his family made us feel very welcome and couldn't have been more hospitable. La Boruca is about 15 minutes outside of San Jose proper in a beautiful setting without any razor wire in sight (which was our primary reason for selecting it in the first place). The place has a total of 4 large rooms, each with a king size bed that could be converted into two twin beds. The rooms all had gorgeous views of a lush garden. Guests can make arrangements with the owner to have dinners there; we chose that option each night and the food was very tasty. We had a lot of time to talk with Ken, who provided good information about sightseeing opportunities around San Jose. All in all it was a wonderful stay and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed July 10, 2010

La Boruca was an amazing place to stay and it's owner Kenneth is quite possibly the nicest (maybe even funniest) guy in Costa Rica. From the moment we met him at the airport as the 4 girls from the UK, he was helpful and chatty. My friends and I were made to feel welcome during our first trip to Costa Rica.

The rooms are very clean and modern with computers and internet access. Food is nice and staff are excellent. The moment we needed anything (and trust me we were always asking Kenneth random questions!) Kenneth and co were there to help.

Yes it is a little far from town but La Boruca always provided us with transport to and fro so it didn't matter. The location is also great if you just want to chill out for a couple of days.

I would go back if I ever went to San Jose again and would definately recommend it to anyone travelling there.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 6, 2010

I stayed here when I had one extra day after my friends had left CR. The Alvarado family that runs this B&B are extremely nice, charming and have great stories to tell! It was an excellent experience for a solo traveler, they were very helpful pointing me in the right direction and arranging transportation and giving me the straight answer to all my questions. There was another solo traveler while I was there and we were able to explore downtown San Jose together and have dinner (made by Mrs. Alvarado - delicious fish!) I very much enjoyed the experience. Two things to note: if going by yourself, this place is NOT easy to find. Also, there is a lot of flora and fauna on the property so be sure to bring bug spray!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Binghamton, New York
Reviewed June 9, 2010

We loved it here - the best part was we had a great room, added on a delicious dinner, and enjoyed a great breakfast - our entire bill, including a ride to the airport, was less than what we would have paid for one of the chain hotels near the airport. I'm so glad we chose to stay here instead.

We stayed at La Boruca the night before our flight left San Jose. We traveled on Interbus and they didn't drop off at La Boruca - Kenneth picked us up in San Jose. We got to meet his wife and children who were very nice.

We were not looking for anything special for the night before our flight, and we were really impressed with La Boruca. We weren't expecting it to be so nice. You're in the hills (?) above San Jose, and the noises you hear are mostly nearby animals. It's nice and cool - a welcome break from the mugginess we had in other areas. The bed is comfy, the rooms look brand-new - the shower and bathroom are spotless. There's a computer in your room with internet access and a lot of movies and music stored on them. It's a great place to chill out and relax. The grounds are beautiful too.

My favorite part was our dinner - there aren't restaurants in walking distance, so Kenneth and his wife made us a meal. I got fish with mashed potatoes and sweet veggies - just delicious, and my boyfriend got veggie sushi which was excellent too. Dessert was fantastic, the wine Kenneth recommended was great, and dinner the next morning was delicious. I couldn't belive we were accomodated - we had to leave by 6 AM and we got to have a hot breakfast.

Kenneth was a great host - we really liked talking to him about the US, Costa Rica, music and movies - I'm still so glad Weird Science was one of the movie choices :) It was great on our way to the airport to stop at the grocery store to get some coffee souveniers. Next time we go to Costa Rica, we'll definitely choose to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Central Coast CA
Reviewed May 25, 2010

We stayed here on our first night in Costa Rica. Kenneth picked us up (on time) from the airport for $10. He was fluent in English and very friendly and knowledgeable about Costa Rica. La Boruca is a family run B&B with the main house being separate from the building that houses the guest rooms. The room was huge, clean, comfortable and decorated with tasteful art. We had a wonderful full breakfast of fruit, eggs, gallo pinto and juice the next morning on their patio. The property is beautiful and the family has obviously put a lot of work into the landscape and grounds. I would recommend La Boruca to anyone looking for a nice, safe place to stay in the San Jose/Santo Domingo area.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Switzerland
Reviewed April 3, 2010

The property is very lush, tranquil, clean and well maintained. The room was spacious, clean and very comfy. Free wi-fi and access to many movies and music - all this was definitely a huge plus.
Ken and his family are amazing hosts. They are extremely friendly and very accommodating to all our needs. Ken helped us a lot with our travel plans in Costa Rica, and also went to a lot of effort to make sure we got a really good rental car deal. On the last day, we initially planned to stay at an airport hotel, due to a very early flight out, but Ken and his wife insisted we should stay at their place and will be taken to the airport at 04:45 in the morning the next day.
We loved their home cooking always nice, fresh and tasty.
We've actually stayed here twice. First four days when arriving in San Jose and then again for another three days when returning from the coast.
We highly recommend this place and will definitely stay there again whenever we return to Costa Rica.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Kenneth arranged so many things for my friends and I during our trip to Costa Rica.

La Boruca is a guesthouse of 4 ensuite rooms which are part of Ken's Estate. It is in Las Juntas (I believe) a little bit away from Central San Jose. This is fine, because he gives you a free lift around if you want to get out.
The rooms are great - We stayed on the upper floor with a room of 4 single beds (2 are pull out beds) which were very comfy. Being away from the city you get a lot of tranquility and cool air, so you never feel to warm (we went in March). Perfect for sleeping at night!
Other pluses:
- the bathroom is clean and has shampoo and liquid shower gel
(nothing fancy but it was great for me)
- free internet in every room
- movies and music in English have been stored on the computer for your use!
- there is a small pool and lovely garden but we didn't get to spend much time there as we were too busy.
- free skype calls - excellent!

His wife makes a great breakfast - love that Gallo Pinto.

But more importantly, La Boruca deserves this great review and more customers because of Kenneth and what he did for me on my holiday.
I got injured badly early on in my trip by doing a tour with a really bad company. I needed medical attention and Kenneth took me to the 'La Catolica' Hospital, translated to the doctors and stayed with me whilst I was seen to and diagnosed. He also arranged an extra night's stay for my friends and I when I could not move onto another part of our holiday as a result of this injury.

He also arranged a really good transport arrangement to go privately by minivan to Arenal because of my injury. All in all, I had a really good stay despite my earlier ailment.

Kenneth studied in the USA and is very articulate and knowledgeable about Costa Rica Tourism. He has been an excellent guide and friend on our trip, even almost like a dad to us!

Thanks for leading the integrity and excellence in Costa Rican/Tico hospitality. You truly embody the good image that your country's tourism industry aims to attain!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends