“Home away from home”

Ranked #5 of 67 San Jose B&B and Inns
Switzerland
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2010

The property is very lush, tranquil, clean and well maintained. The room was spacious, clean and very comfy. Free wi-fi and access to many movies and music - all this was definitely a huge plus.
Ken and his family are amazing hosts. They are extremely friendly and very accommodating to all our needs. Ken helped us a lot with our travel plans in Costa Rica, and also went to a lot of effort to make sure we got a really good rental car deal. On the last day, we initially planned to stay at an airport hotel, due to a very early flight out, but Ken and his wife insisted we should stay at their place and will be taken to the airport at 04:45 in the morning the next day.
We loved their home cooking always nice, fresh and tasty.
We've actually stayed here twice. First four days when arriving in San Jose and then again for another three days when returning from the coast.
We highly recommend this place and will definitely stay there again whenever we return to Costa Rica.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Polish first
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

Kenneth arranged so many things for my friends and I during our trip to Costa Rica.

La Boruca is a guesthouse of 4 ensuite rooms which are part of Ken's Estate. It is in Las Juntas (I believe) a little bit away from Central San Jose. This is fine, because he gives you a free lift around if you want to get out.
The rooms are great - We stayed on the upper floor with a room of 4 single beds (2 are pull out beds) which were very comfy. Being away from the city you get a lot of tranquility and cool air, so you never feel to warm (we went in March). Perfect for sleeping at night!
Other pluses:
- the bathroom is clean and has shampoo and liquid shower gel
(nothing fancy but it was great for me)
- free internet in every room
- movies and music in English have been stored on the computer for your use!
- there is a small pool and lovely garden but we didn't get to spend much time there as we were too busy.
- free skype calls - excellent!

His wife makes a great breakfast - love that Gallo Pinto.

But more importantly, La Boruca deserves this great review and more customers because of Kenneth and what he did for me on my holiday.
I got injured badly early on in my trip by doing a tour with a really bad company. I needed medical attention and Kenneth took me to the 'La Catolica' Hospital, translated to the doctors and stayed with me whilst I was seen to and diagnosed. He also arranged an extra night's stay for my friends and I when I could not move onto another part of our holiday as a result of this injury.

He also arranged a really good transport arrangement to go privately by minivan to Arenal because of my injury. All in all, I had a really good stay despite my earlier ailment.

Kenneth studied in the USA and is very articulate and knowledgeable about Costa Rica Tourism. He has been an excellent guide and friend on our trip, even almost like a dad to us!

Thanks for leading the integrity and excellence in Costa Rican/Tico hospitality. You truly embody the good image that your country's tourism industry aims to attain!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank galaxychocs
Portland. OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2010

This is a great opportunity to stay in a place that feels like you're connecting with the local way of life while enjoying a mellow vacation hotel. The owners, Ken and his wife, are warm and funny people (he's totally fluent in English) who are down to earth and yet down to business. If you need something, they're on it in a very peacefully efficient way which makes me feel at ease to ask. They live outside the main city, but within a short drive, and it's so nice to relax away from the tourist sites and honking cars. It's off the beaten path but so very accessible.

Nearby is an INCREDIBLE waterfall that a friend of Ken's took me to. I floated in the lake beneath vines creeping up craggy rocks and had one of those moments of realizing I was in a tropical jungle environment near a big city. Just delicious.

I have traveled extensively in Central America and Asia and my stay at La Boruca holds up as one of my favorite hotel experiences for just the unique flavor of Costa Rica that it offered.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
cmacnewyork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2010

La Boruca is a fantastic boutique hotel with nicely furnished and very clean and quiet rooms, beautiflul tropical gardens, a clean and refreshing pool, mountain and valley views of San Jose, and friendly and caring service from the owner/managers...all at great price/value! I have been to Costa Rica 6 to 7 times and have stayed at numerous places and have to say that La Boruca is the best value of any hotel I have stayed. At $53 a night it is "Such a deal!" as we say here in New York City. The Owner/Managers, Ticos who also lived in the US a few years, are really good people...friendly, generous, fun, accomodating and very down to earth...they take great pride in the service they provide and their hotel accomodations, and it shows and makes all the difference over a place that is simply managed by someone punching the clock for the owner. The owners lived in San Jose for most of their life so they are extremely knowledgeable about the area, both on and off the beaten path (ask about the waterfall just one mile from them, definitely off the beaten track and a great find). I give my highest recommendation to La Casa Hugo and plan to visit again soon.

Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2010

La Boruca is our favourite place in Costa Rica & one of our favourite resting stops during our 10months on the road, traveling over 4 continents & 15 countries.
The owners are friendly & very accommodating & go above & beyond what is necessary in making you feel welcome & comfortable. They picked us up no problems, shuttled us to & from the City & then back again when we needed to catch our bus out to Manuel Antonio. Free of charge!!
The room was huge, clean & very, very comfy - One of the best beds we've had with a lovely hot shower too. A PC in the room with internet (free wi-fi too) plus a movie/music library to keep guests entertained.
Breakfast included was lovely - Fresh fruit, OJ, coffee, eggs, toast or gallo pinto.
Dinner is beautifully prepared & is home cooking we all miss so much when we're traveling.
Value for money without doubt & would highly recommend - Don't let the fact La Boruca is 15mins from San Jose put you off. It's so much cooler & more relaxed in the mountains and the FREE shuttle in/out the City makes this a very easy choice.

Many thanks to Kenneth & his family for making us feel so welcome :)

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Playa Conchal, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2010

I have stayed at this excellent small hotel on a number of occassions when visiting San Jose. It is situated approximately 15 minutes from the downtown area, but the surroundings could not be more different. The hotel is set in a peaceful, cool, mountain location, with beautiful tropical gardens, trees laden with orchids and bromeliads, also masses of heliconia and ginger and ornamental plantains. The small spa pool is a great spot to sit and relax, and observe the hummingbirds and butterflies which visit the garden. There are only 4 guest rooms, all newly built and extremely spacious with king size beds (and pull-out beds for extra family members). Each room is decorated with local art and paintings, also a PC with dvd and mp3 library and internet access. Beautiful views over the surrounding countryside from the top floor. Breakfast consists of fresh juice, coffee, fruit, eggs, and some of the best gallo pinto I have tasted in Costa Rica-all prepared "con carino" by owner Suzy. Both owners are extremely knowledgable about travel within the country, having worked within the tourism sector for many years. This is a great first or last stop on any vacation to Costa Rica (and airport transfers are available too), or as a home-away- from-home when visiting the city on business. It is also very convenient for visiting Braulio Carillo national park (known for quetzels, trojons, toucans, jaguars).

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business