Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Review Highlights
Costa Rica Focus Yrip

Costa Rica Focus provided a spectacular birding and nature tour. The birds, transportation, food... read more

Reviewed yesterday
M8254OLscotte
West Jordan, Utah
via mobile
Best guide and tour company ever!

I just completed my 6th trip with Costa Rica Focus, and specifically with Rudy as the guide. I... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
karentY6579BW

All reviews bird guide birding trip bird watching arenal observatory lodge harpy eagle excellent birding guide alex villa lapas hotel bougainvillea great birds costa rica future trips private guide once in a lifetime wonderful country central america an adventure
Selected filters
Reviewed March 5, 2020

We wanted to visit Costa Rica and see the birds there. At the same time, we didn't want to bird from dawn to dusk every day or move to a different hotel each night. And we didn't want to rent a car. It was our first trip and I needed help making arrangements for such a trip. Wanda and Joan were up to customizing a trip for us where we stayed at ecolodges for 2-3 nights, caught a lodge group birding tour or had a private guide for the morning, and drivers between stops. It worked out great! All the drivers were early and ready to take us to our next stop and were also full of great information about Costa Rica. It was much less stressful than driving in a new country! The tours and guides that Wanda and Joan arranged were great, we saw lots of birds and animals and plan to return for more. A great trip without the hassle of making all the arrangements myself. I would recommend using Costa Rica Focus for your trip, especially if you would like an individualized trip.

1  Thank PdxLostmarbles
Costa Rica F, Owner at Costa Rica Focus, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2020

Thank you so much for your kind words. We can't wait to have you back in the future.

Reviewed March 3, 2020

Through Costa Rica Focus staffs Wanda and Joan, our trip was designed to get as many as Costa Rica beautiful lifers as we can. Our private bird guide Rudy Zamara provided all the trip service to full fill our needs. He is a warm and humorous guys with years of birding experience. It was a very pleasant 12 days driving around the country. We would like to visit CR someday agin.

Date of experience: February 2020
Costa Rica F, Owner at Costa Rica Focus, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2020

Thanks for the kind words Wen. We enjoyed hosting you and look forward to your return.

Reviewed February 19, 2020 via mobile

I did a 13 days birding trip with my own private guide. The aim was to get as many lifers as possible.

The trip was a complete success! The guide was very knowledgeable, competent and enthusiastic and the company had very carefully planned the itinerary which consisted of 6 lodges in various habitats and also birding during the transportation from one destination to another. I really felt that I made the most of every day of the trip and I ended up with 306 lifers, a very high number taking into consideration that I have been birding in both the US, Mexico, Guatemala and Belize before, so that far from all the species I saw were lifers for me.

The company was also extremely helpful when my luggage was delayed, they took care of the communication with the air liner so that I could concentrate on the birding.

I think the company's staff is extremely professional and service-minded and am happy to give them my warmest and best recommendation.

Date of experience: February 2020
Costa Rica F, Owner at Costa Rica Focus, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2020

Thank you so much. We really appreciate your kind words. We were super excited that you got 300+ new birds on this trip. That is simply amazing!! It was really great working with you on your trip and Erick says to give you a big hello. He really enjoyed guiding you. Hope to plan more trips with you in the future.

Reviewed February 10, 2020

We (2 couples) traveled for two weeks throughout Costa Rica with Rudy Zamora, a great birding guide. Our tour operators - Joan and Wanda - did a great job arranging everything and communicating with us throughout the trip. We visited 6 locations - Hotel Savegre, Rancho Naturalista, La Selva Biological Station, Arenal Observatory Lodge, Hotel de Montana de Monteverde and Villa Lapas. Each had its charms, offering different ecosystems and birds. In most cases the lodging and food were excellent, although I'm not sure I would return to La Selva for either of these again (birding was excellent however). We learned a lot and saw a lot of great places and birds! I highly recommend Costa Rica Focus and our guide Rudy Zamora.

Date of experience: January 2020
Costa Rica F, Owner at Costa Rica Focus, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2020

Thank you so much for your kind words. We're so pleased you had a great experience and we look forward to having you travel with us again. From everyone at Costa Rica Focus, Pura Vida!!

Reviewed February 5, 2020

Costa Rica Focus did a wonderful job planning our trip on short notice. Everything went smoothly from beginning to end. We had good bird guides and very nice accommodations. When we ran into trouble with daytime activities at one hotel, Joan worked with us well into the evening on two days to ensure that our activities for the next day went smooothly.

Date of experience: February 2020
Costa Rica F, Owner at Costa Rica Focus, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2020

Thanks so much. We are so happy you enjoyed your trip to Costa Rica. You had me quite envious of some of the birds you saw on your trip. Thanks for sharing.