Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Review Highlights
Personal service

We didnt think we could find a bird tour to match the excellent canopy family of panama, we did. As... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
waine f
Llanybydder, United Kingdom
Costa Rica Focus is the best

This was the 4th trip that Joan has planned for us and the 3rd trip with Rudy as our guide. It was... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Jonathan G
Newton, New Jersey

All reviews bird guide bird watching harpy eagle savegre lodge wonderful accommodations his enthusiasm birding trip panama city travel arrangements costa rica small group central america wanda zamora birders birds lodging
Selected filters
Reviewed January 23, 2019

My friends and I booked a birding/Costa Rica tour with Costa Rica Focus. We were not disappointed. From the initial contact with Joan and Wanda to the knowledgeable tour guide Rudy Zamora, the trip was fantastic. Rudy was a plethora of knowledge and knew all the hidden spots to find and view unique birds along with other animals. It was definitely personalized. They make you feel like family and truly care about your experience. Even booking the trip was stress free. Joan and Wanda were attentive to our needs (and with a group that can be a challenge!) and extremely punctual with any correspondence. They even had great recommendations on restaurants. I'm not big on visiting the same place twice, but I'm already looking at going back to Costa Rica and won't book with any other Company. I highly recommend Costa Rica Focus, the do not disappoint!!!!

Date of experience: October 2018
Costa Rica F, Owner at Costa Rica Focus, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2019

Thank you so much. It was our pleasure to host you here in Costa Rica. We're ready to start planning your next trip, just let us know. Sincerely, thank you so much!

Reviewed January 19, 2019

I have been fortunate to be guided by Rudy Zamora on two trips to Costa Rica. They were far and away the best birding trips I have ever been on and the reason was Rudy.
For starters he is enthusiastic about his work and it carries over to everything he does.
He is very bright and has an encyclopedic memory. For example, he knows every Costarican bird name in english, spanish and latin. He knows all of their calls and frequently if you are looking for a specific bird, he often knows where to find it.
On my first trip he took a look through my bird book where I mark all the birds I have seen and he then set an agenda to find the ones I had not seen. With that done, once he discovered that I would bird from dawn until dark it was a magic week of discovery.
He did not require the all day birding, but was willing to tailor each day to what I wished to do instead of sticking to some fixed plan.

In addition he will tell you about the history of the country, or talk about the trees and plants along the way, or as I requested he tutored me to improve my mediocre Spanish skills. He took time to teach me about some of the differences between groups of birds such as flycatchers and some of them are difficult to tell apart. Then each day he would point out a few birds and quiz me to see what I had learned and the best part was he really cared.

He took me to places I never would have seen had I not been with him. I am not talking about lodges etc but we went to little out of the way places because he knew we might find a particular bird. The second trip was completely different than the first in terms of the places we went but the routine didn't change.
And everywhere we went he was warmly greeted by everyone and that says something about him as well. I could go on for pages but let me say that he is the best guide I have ever known.

Date of experience: February 2018
Costa Rica F, Owner at Costa Rica Focus, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2019

Thank you Mark. You describe exactly what we aim to achieve with every trip. Rudy loved birding with you. We still talk about your flying squirrel saga, by the way. Hope to see you again on another birding trip.

Reviewed January 18, 2019 via mobile

I have been privileged to participate in two of Rudy’s tours. Several years ago Rudy led a group of my donors on a general
ttotour of Costa Rica. He did a fantastic job of introducing his beautiful country to a group of American tourists with varying interests. This spring Rudy led a small group of avid birders (including me) on a fantastic trip to Panama, focusing on the Darian. What an incredible, once-in-a-lifetime experience! While Rudy’s skill as a birder is unparalleled, his enthusiasm for birds and nature in general is infectious. He is a true gentleman and now a lifelong friend. I recommend him without reservation.

Date of experience: April 2018
Costa Rica F, Owner at Costa Rica Focus, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2019

Thank you Satch. We had such a great time traveling with you. Looking forward to "Wylie's Warriors" next adventure.

Reviewed January 17, 2019

We had Rudy lead a trip with me and my wife and another couple. Rudy is a fantastic guide and really knows his birds. Of course we saw lots of wonderful birds. However, I want to highlight Rudy's great personality. He is a very effusive and knowledgeable person in many areas of nature. He tailors the trip to meet the wants and needs of the group. My wife is not very mobile, but he made sure that she enjoyed the trip as much as the rest of us even making a special trip to check out some fantastic beaches. His flexibility and expertise is sure to make the experience fantastic for an type of group.

Date of experience: March 2018
Costa Rica F, Owner at Costa Rica Focus, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2019

Hi Phil. Thank you so much . It was our pleasure to have you here in Costa Rica. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed January 16, 2019

I had one of my best trips ever in early 2018 with Rudy in Costa Rica. Rudy made all the accommodations and transport arrangements and was my wife and I's driver and guide for 8 great days of birding and wildlife watching. Plan your trip a year in advances you can get Rudy to book you in the best spots and lodges.

Date of experience: February 2018
Costa Rica F, Owner at Costa Rica Focus, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2019

Thank you so much for your kind words. We look forward to having you back in Costa Rica or Central America in the future!