“relaxing”
Review of Molino Rojo Hostel

Molino Rojo Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Jose
Molino Rojo Hostel
Reviewed February 4, 2010

We had a great time! The owners of the Molino Rojo are great people and always went out of their way to accomadate us. This is not the Shearton, but it's not advertised as the Sheraton. The bad reviews above are stupid and without merit in my opinion. My girlfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights and had nothing but a great time! I would most definitely stay here again and plan on doing so this March. You cannot beat the value! I would like it if they would add TV's to the room and maybe a towell rack...there are a few little things like that that would be a nice touch. None of these things would keep me from staying at the Molino Rojo. I enjoyed staying there because the owner and his wife are such nice people and made us feel at home, away from home. I most highly recommend staying at the Molino Rojo. I can assure you that I will be back. If you want to party...they will show you the party! If you want to be quiet and stay in your room while not being bothered...the will let you do so and respect your privacy.

It was a joy to stay at the Molino Rojo and my girlfriend and I look foreword to our next stay!

Brad....San Salvador

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Molino Rojo Hostel

Reviewed January 22, 2010

I think these guys must be running another business and the hotel is a cover up because their service was a joke! If you want a bath towel you have to ask for it. I asked for soap so I could take a shower and they looked at me like I was crazy and said, "there is soap in the bathroom." "No there isn't, " I said. "Yes there is..." They said that the soap to use is in the liquid hand soap dispenser next to the bathroom sink. Oh....so I take a shower with the liquid hand soap. Ok, thanks. No internet service when I was there. White bread with butter and jelly was breakfast, and it was served late. There was no electrical outlet in the room they put us in, so don't plan on charging your cell phone here. No tv and for the price, we could have gone somewhere with a private room, private bathroom and tv, with a nice tico breakfast included.
Shop around.
I have lived in CR for 3 years and have stayed at many different places and I'm telling you, this was the worst one I have ever stayed in. I am pretty easy to please too.
The location was in the middle of everything, which is great for nightlife and not good if you want a quiet place to sleep.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank wutisaw
Reviewed October 3, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here a total of four times (our first night, last night and twice in the middle when we had to change buses in San Jose). We wouldn't have kept coming back if we didn't like it so much! I just have to disagree with a couple of the reviews below as it was spotless all four times that we were there and I thought the guys working there were really friendly. Oh and we didn't have towels with us, so we just asked and they lent us a bunch. Breakfast of fresh bread, jelly and coffee is just what we have at home for breakfast everyday, so that was perfect for us.

This is the side of town you want to be in (Paseo Colon) - any closer to the center and it's pretty sketchy at night. Lots of restaurants nearby, convenience store open until midnight and close to the bus stops.

The last night we stayed there we had a car and the owner stayed up all night to guard it - if that's not EXCELLENT service, what is?

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2009

This hostel is ok for the price you are paying. We had a private room with bathroom for about $30 USD a night.

Our room was not the cleanest and the bathroom was old (not newly renovated like the website says) and had a bunch of bugs flying around in it when we arrived. There was also a mushroom patch growing from one of the wood beams of the ceiling (this was kind of funny, but is an issue for obvious reasons).

The location is a little bit out of the way from downtown (It was about a 15 minute walk to get to La Merced). The owners are friendly and tried to be helpful, but you do kind of feel like you are in their home: using their kitchen, drinking their water, sleeping in their guest room etc. There are no towels in the room so be sure to bring you own.

the good:
decent and safe feeling place
beds and bed sheets seemed new and clean
free internet
breakfast in the morning (even though it is just bread, butter, jam and coffee)
travel books to look through in the common room

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank iheartwrldtrvl
Reviewed September 29, 2009

i think me and my friend were the first travellers to stay at this newly opened hostel.
we were greated nicer by the cockroach in our room than by the unfriendly owners. the owners were half assed- its better not to offer breakfast at all than to offer an old stale bit of bread not enough for one person and sour milk for the coffee,,
then offer bar drinks- to then say that there friend drank it all and spewed in the kitchen the night before and then owners didnt refill the drinks the next 2 nights.

the best thing i can say about the place is that the photogropher who took the photos for the internet site deserves a medal for making it look so much nicer than it is.
theres a communal room which is basically a bunch of pillows on the floor and a tiny tv which the owners hogged all the time. no other travellers around. no place to sit in garden. owners seemed like they coldnt be bothered and treated the place like there home than a work place.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank jennachristie13
Reviewed September 28, 2009

This was the first time I stayed in a hostel (I usually stay in hotels but was on a stricter budget this trip). There is a really nice atmosphere as all the guests tend to congregate in the lounge area and garden - I met a lot of travellers, which is the benefit of a hostel rather than a hotel. There aren't TVs in the rooms (there's one in the lounge), but they do have private bathrooms and in every other way it is like a hotel - just half the price and a lot more fun. Breakfast was included in the price (they even made it for me when I was leaving at 5am to go to the airport).
Everything was very clean and a lot of effort had clearly gone into the decorating the building - all the rooms are painted bright colours and there is a city mural in the lounge!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank here1goagain
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We happened upon this hostel simply because it was across the street from the car rental place, but it turned out to be a great place to stay. Friendly and helpful folks and the place has a really interesting central "hang out" area. The hostel has lots of food options close by and it is on the road to the airport. The rooms are simple but nice with the upstairs rooms having balconies. All in all I enjoyed staying there much more than the other two places I tried in San Jose.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends