“Excellent place”

Hotel Casa Cambranes
Ranked #14 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Casa Cambranes is a small, but cozy hotel. Hotel administration recently changed, but it remains a family owned place and people are extremely friendly. Rooms are basic, but clean and location is perfect if visiting San Jose center or the East side of the city.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed May 24, 2014

The Casa Cambranes is a fantastic family run hotel in San Pedro. I stayed there for a week in April 2014 while studying at the CRLA language school. Carlos and Natalia went out of their way to make me feel welcome by showing me around, helping me practice my Spanish and even taking me to their local bar to meet their friends and listen to Carlos sing! The hotel itself is very clean and comfortable with WIFI included. It is situated in a safe neighbourhood 100 metres from a lovely café and a supermarket. The San Pedro mall and Spanish school are within 5 mins walk, as are several nice bars and restaurants. I would definitely choose to stay here again and if you choose to stay make sure Carlos makes his speciality “Gallo Pinto” for breakfast for you.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Russp82
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed at Casa Cambranes late October 2012. It was excellent. The owner/manager Don Julio as well as his staff were very attentive, the rooms were beautiful (I was given a choice), and it was very quiet. In fact, I had the best sleep in a long time. I didn't rent a car and walked everywhere, due to the hotel's great location. I am definitively staying there when I am returning to San Jose, Costa Rica.

Room Tip: Each room is individually decorated, quiet, and harmonious. Find of the rooms available which one yo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank hanbu
Reviewed May 12, 2012

I stayed for 1 week in this hotel for business and had a really good experience here. The staff was very nice and helpful from the beginning until the end. For breakfast you can choose if you want a normal international breakfast, or something typical from Costa Rica. As you can expect, the coffee was great as well. They adviced me on tours and sightseeing. Free Wi-fi, good enough to make videocalls on skype. In the neighborhood is a mall with a food plaza and many other good restaurants.
The room and bathroom was always VERY clean and modern, i had cable TV with over 60 channels and a big bed. No noise, i could easily fall asleep.

I would definitely go back to this hotel if i visit this country again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ohcim
Reviewed December 13, 2011

My partner and I spent two nights at the Casa Cambranes. I chose it for the location. It is close to the "non downtown" places I was interested in (Los Yoses) but off the main thoroughfare, so quiet. The man who greeted us didn't speak great English, but he was most accommodating and pleasant and quickly took care of anything that needed care, made good suggestions about how to handle things like getting to the airport. (I was surprised it only cost $30 to get there by taxi!) We were able to walk to the University and to other pleasant parts of town. The room was clean and we loved it being purple, my favorite color! The tub was large enough for both of us, although it didn't actually have jets to make it a jacuzzi. The room was simple but sufficient. We only ate breakfast one day because we left too early to go to the Pacuare on the other day. We weren't real excited about the tamale, so they made us some eggs. You do have to get your bags up one flight of stairs, but they are quite willing to help.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 15, 2011

I recently stayed at Casa Cambranes Lodge in San Jose, Costa Rica. It was affordable, clean, very conveniently located near the City, but in a very safe area. I felt very safe and was able to walk to a grocery store, restaurants, and the San Jose downtown area. It was also reasonably priced. The best part of my visit were the people who ran the hotel. Everyone was so nice and helpful. Over my 10 day stay I feel in love with Melissa would prepared my breakfast every morning. She and the other employees of the hotel are very nice. The owner is a historian and writer and a very kind person. He and his family run the hotel. I can't say enough about how helpful and friendly everyone was. My Spanish is not very strong and the staff of the Hotel spoke very good English. I have stayed in many hotels in Costa Rica, but I have never felt so at home as I did at the Casa Cambranes. I visit Costa Rica at least 2 times a year. I plan to visit this hotel again in the future!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Rudisme
Reviewed March 7, 2011

While attending to hearings at the Interamerican Human Rights Court, three colleagues and I stayed at Casa Cambranes, just beside the Tribunal. Choosing this place proved to be the right decision. It's clean and comfortable. The staff is amazing, always willing to help - all of them with no exception were nice, polite and extremely friendly. The owner himself is a fantastic figure who has lots of stories to tell. The breakfast was very good (with strawberries and yogurt, and even gallo pinto if you want). The room itself is very pleasant with nice colors and even a jacuzzi. The neighborhood is quiet and relaxing. All of this at an affordable price. Tottally recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business