“The food is good, the view is great!”

Restaurante Ram Luna
Ranked #17 of 664 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Costa Rican, International
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Mountain restaurant and lookout point with an excellent view of the capital city of San José, the city of Heredia, Tres Ríos, Aserrí and the Irazú Volcano. Located at 5870 feet above sea level, with 2 fireplaces and decorated like home it has a cozy and warm ambiance. An outside patio with an open firepit and park benches around, attracts those who likes to take pictures of the scenery. With 49 years in business, now we have a menu that combines the best of Costa Rica and international cuisine and a selected list of wines. The Ram Luna was initiated by the family Ramírez Aguilar, Gilber and Moraima, who still live in the property and keep running the restaurant. Our menu is 90% gluten free and all of our condiments are gluten free. We have options for veggies.
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I've been to Mirador Ram Luna twice. The first time I went mid-afternoon for coffee and the view. The view is quite amazing. I also had their dessert that is named after the owner's wife and it was very good.

The second time I went was valentine's dinner. I must say, I thought the restaurant did very well with preserving an intimate atmosphere even though there were a lot of people there. The had a limited menu that night, but it was still good. With their typical menu, you should probably expect to spend between 40-50 dollars before drinks.

As I said, the view is quite amazing. I would recommend arriving around 5 so you can take in the view during the day and then again after you've eaten, once it is dark!

There are newer reviews for Restaurante Ram Luna

Reviewed March 19, 2014

I came here with my girlfriend on a romantic date. It is a little far away but is well worth the drive. The view is spectacular. We called ahead of time to ask for a table with a view and we were perfectly accommodated. Plus, we had extra luck because someone somewhere had a firework show which we could enjoy from our seats. The lighting is dim, just how I like it. The gardens outside the restaurant are beautiful and the interior is nice, too. The waiting staff was professional and helpful. We had a bottle of wine which was recommended by the waiter which was a tasty Argentine Malbec. I had the "New York Steak" as recommended by the waiter. Supposedly, it was grilled using volcanic rocks! It was delicious and perfectly cooked. We wanted a chocolate cake or a tiramisu for desert, but they were not offering such plates, so we opted instead for the flan de coco. It was quite good. The bill came out to 80 dollars which isn't cheap but isn't too bad either for a special occasion. The night we went there was no dance or live music which was fine with me, but the guy who wrote a review insulting the dancers should be ashamed. I would definitely recommend this place to steak lovers who are looking to have a more memorable dining experience.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We recently went to see this show.we spent £50 each.the show was absolute rip off. The dancers were ugly and fat. The dressing was cheap. The steps were awful. Dances as for 20min.rest of time was spent on celebrating birthdays anniversaries and taking photographs.DO NOT GO TO WASTE MONEY

1  Thank Rekha P
Gilber R, Propietario at Restaurante Ram Luna, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Good evening. The Ram Luna show has been presented for 17 years every single week and this is the first time that we have such a terrible comment, to say the least, because is very insulting for the dancers, especially for the girls. Besides it does not mention the rest of the program, marimba music, cimarrona, masquerade, the giants dance and the large buffet open for 3 hours, same as the open bar and all this for $40 US dollars, including taxes and tips.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Let's look for a definition of a Perfect romantic place to propose... Ram Luna!
I had a little plan to surprise my girlfriend. But they actually contribute in all the possible aspects to have a perfect proposal. They fixed my table with roses petals and candles. In addition, I got the table next to the fireplace and a beautiful view of San Jose! They surprise me too! It was just a matter of a phone call and they set all for a romantic moment
The owners are very nice people. You can find them there taking care of their customers with an honest smile on their faces, making sure that everybody is enjoying and as comfortable as possible.

All waitresses are very nice and great attitude! Honestly... The best place to be at! and if you are a foreigner visiting Costa Rica, you will obtain lots of the famous Costarrican hospitality and traditions. Plus the food! amazing!

Reviewed February 8, 2014

I've been to a similar restaurant in Costa Rica before, but Ram Luna is the best for their variety of menu featuring all the delicious things Ticos like to eat, plus a great show featuring dances of the northwest province of Guanacaste and a view high above San Jose that is hard to beat. I definitely hope to go back again and recommend you experience it for yourself. The service was excellent and the owners even take time to greet you personally before you leave. Truly a wonderful experience. Just and FYI though, you'll want to bring a sweat shirt or light jacket as it gets a little cool on the mountain side. Enjoy!