“Correct”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Jose
Hostel Gran Imperial
Marseille, France
“Correct”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Really good price for San José, The rooms are OK, the showers & toilets really good. Perfect location (center town), really close to most of the Bus terminals.
But it is really noisy, and the kitchen is crap, oily, durty, and no equipement at all to cook...

Good for one night but no much more!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui, Costa Rica
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I was searching for a place to stay for one night in San Jose, if possible in the middle of the center and that is where this place is located. Was not sure about the hostel considering some of the other reviews, but I decided to check it out, also because a private room is just 14 dollars.

The other guests were a couple of older guys, so it is definately not a backpackers place or something. They have a very high number of rooms, but the hallways look a bit like in a mental institution. So it does not really have style, but I slept perfect. Bathrooms were very clean. Only big con was the lack of power outlets in the room. Location is perfect. 24h reception, but they don't speak english.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed February 22, 2012

have been staying here more than 20 years. Great staff, high security, clean, sharing kitchen and a wrap around 2nd floor balcony overlooking mercado central. Can walk to many venues, no need to taxi. Close to bus terminal from Airport $1 not $15 and up taxi ride. Micro room with nice shared bath only $12.

Room Tip: rooms farther from the street are quieter and warmer.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank bikedave5
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed July 7, 2010

I went last october to san jose, costa rica and I stayed with a group of people in the hostel gran imperial...and it was awesome!!! the place, the staff, the service!!! IT WAS A REALLY NICE EXPERIENCE!! The staff of the hostel made us love the hostel...a nice room woth nice bathrooms, internet, kitchen, everything!!! and the BEST is that it is cheap!!! I recommend the hostel for everyone who wants to stay in san jose!! Alex : )

• Stayed October 2009
1 Thank alex29_10
san jose costa rica
Reviewed November 29, 2009

Yes a couple of years ago it deserved a bad review. It is under new ownrship and under major renovation. The security is tops, no one gets past the front desk without being a registered guest. There are brand new tiled bathrooms although only cold water as of now. There is free coffee and a shared kitchen, the restaurant is gone. There are 2 free Internet computers. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Bone up on your spanish, no one speaks english here.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Canada
Reviewed May 10, 2009

Okay so I checked into the Hostel Gran Imperial on June 4th 2008. I was shown to my matchbook sized room that cost 20 [--] dollars. As I was walking out my room, a lady with scabies all over her arms (obvious crack head) went into the room next to mine. I said hey neighbor and all she did was stare at me with that blank cracked out look. Weird I said. I thought they didn't let crack heads into hostels? Oh well.

Regardless to say, that cracked out chick started a fire in the hostel that ended up torching ALL of my gear and pretty much leveled the whole second floor. There were other guests at the hostel at the time but their things managed to avoid being charred to a crisp.

After things cleared up and the fire was put out I returned to the hostel to find out that everything I brought was totally burned up. Minus my passport which I was carrying with me at the time of the fire!
I ended up talking to the owner "Max Jimenez" as he called himself. Well "Max" told me to write down a list of everything I lost in the fire and he would help me get reimbursed from insurance etc. He gave me his "email address" and told me he would contact me in the next few days.
Well needless to say I never heard another word from this creep.
I almost died in the fire at his hostel and he never reimbursed me a penny for all the gear I lost in the blaze.

I would not recommend this hostel to anyone, as it is right smack dab in Coca Cola district San Jose, and just full of beggars, bums, crackheads, and hookers. Stay away from Costa Rica in general. It is to expensive and over rated from being plagued by tourism for the last 25 years.
Panama is where its at! Bambu Hostel David is where to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So yeah anyways. Stay away from Gran Imperial even though they just cleaned it all up with a bunch of new insurance money judging by the pics on their website.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these San Jose hotels

Montreal
Reviewed July 27, 2008

I went there in January 2008. I stayed one night and when I was visiting the city, somebody stole my stuff! I was in a private room, locked, but someone stole my stuff without breaking the door...
The staff said they are not responsible and they gave me no help. Also, there was blood on the sheets. The room was ugly, small and not comfortable. This was my worst hotel EVER. I will never recommand this hotel! There are so many hotels at the same price and so much better in San Jose.

• Liked — When I left the hotel
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)