“Rio Pacuare Rafting 1 Day Trip”
Review of Rios Tropicales

Ranked #3 of 96 Tours in San Jose
More attraction details
Owner description: Rios Tropicales is an eco-adventure company that operates throughout Costa Rica. We offer adventure activities that take advantage of Costa Rica’s unique variety of environments: whitewater rafting, multisport activities that feature kayaking,canoeing, hiking, and cycling, family adventures, cultural encounters, nature and wildlife tours, and “volun-tourism”. Our mission, to share the rivers, natural resources and culture of Costa Rica while sharing conservation values, has not changed since we began in 1985. Rios Tropicales was established by native Central Americans, El Salvadorian Rafael Gallo and Costa Rican Fernando Esquivel, whose deep connection with the region and culture are apparent in every aspect of the company.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Rio Pacuare Rafting 1 Day Trip”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

If you are considering taking this adventure while on your trip to Costa Rica then just go ahead and book now. Trust me, nothing let us down about this part of our trip from the pickup at our Hotel in San Jose, the bilingual tour of the surrounding area on the trip there, the Costa Rican breakfast waiting on us when we arrived to their company headquarters, the guide (Fernando) on our raft, the lunch they prepared for us halfway down the river, the scenery of waterfalls pouring into the river from the rainforest, the over 200 pictures that was taken on the trip that I purchased for $20, and to top it all off I was taken to my next destination in LaFortuna that night. All that was $99 per person minus pictures we bought. Best deal in Costa Rica. I can't speak for the other rafting companies but I can say that Rios Tropicales won't disappoint. I would recommend this activity for anyone from teens to people in their 60's. We went at the end of the Dry Season so water levels were a little low but it was still packed with Class III, III+, and IV. I could only imagine the intensity during the Rainy Season but once again they are very safe in what they do, I thought more so than a lot of rafting companies I've been with in the US. One of the commands they had that I have never heard in the US while rafting is "Get Down"(meaning everyone squat down in the raft and hold on so no one falls out). I thought that was so funny because in the US if you fall down into the raft the guide is saying "Get up and paddle!!. Regardless of which they go overboard to make sure you are safe and have fun. Don't miss this opportunity.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Brian M
RiosTropicales, Owner at Rios Tropicales, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Brian M, Thanks for describing one of the great advantages of running the Pacuare year-round. I will make sure our staff get your valuable comments.

Happy paddling,

Montreal, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rio pacuare rafting WOW”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

What an adventure!!!!low price very nice view, professionnal staff very safe, what a day !!!!!!!!Bring your sun protection cream!

Visited July 2013
RiosTropicales, Owner at Rios Tropicales, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear pat r, Thanks for joining one of our trips, recommending it and reminding future paddlers to bring their skin protection. Here is our list of recommended gear for the Pacuare River Day Trip:
Rubber-soled shoes that can get wet (Tevas, tennis shoes, booties or similar).
Swimsuit / swim trunks; t-shirt and shorts of a quick-drying material.
Waterproof sunscreen lotion (SPF 15 or higher).
Sun hat or bandana.
Croakies or straps to secure glasses.
Clothing Change including shoes for after your Rafting Tour.
Towel.

Take care,

Malta
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Rio Pacuare Rafting 1day Trip”
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Just a couple of words. A must do in CR for the SUPERB SCENARY of Pacuare with this good company. The organisation was perfect and their breakfast was really good!!

RiosTropicales, Owner at Rios Tropicales, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear bendermalta, Thanks for joining our One Day Rafting trip on the Pacuare and posting your recommendation.

Pura vida,

Las Vegas, Nevada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Rafting Excitement”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

This was my first experience white water rafting and it was amazing. I fear I have been spoiled for life. All of the staff was awesome from the driver to our particular raft instructor/leader. Johnny was informative, friendly and funny. He was such a pleasure to learn from and I would ask for him again if given the chance. This trip was beautiful from the canyon walls to the river itself. The rapids were pretty fierce, especially for a first timer but it was well worth the effort. All of the rafting guides were available and helpful if needed and they had a professional photographer on staff as well. The photographs were incredibly affordable and we actually bought access to all of the pictures from our boat. I can't recommend this company enough! Between the experience, lunch and transportation the tour is well worth the price.

Visited November 2013
Dear KG D, So we created a monster! Thanks for choosing us and taking your valuable time to recommend us, I will send your comments to our staff. Hope you keed enjoying your next rafting trip whereever your travels take you.

Paddle forward,

75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Rafting excellence”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We recently did a two day trip on Pucaure river and had a an amazing trip. Water levels were quite low, so we didn't go very fast but we all had a good time. The company lodge is beautifully located by the river and our rooms looked out over the rapids. Our guides Alberth and Ricardo were excellent; they kept us informed and entertained. We also enjoyed some nice walks and the zip lining.
The guides did the catering as well and produced some great meals.

Visited March 2014
RiosTropicales, Owner at Rios Tropicales, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear cera v, Thanks for taking from your valuable time to write about your experience with us, on one of our Multiday Trips into the Pacuare River and Rios Tropicales Lodge. I will send your comments to our staff and in their name we wish you happy paddling!

Pura vida,