“Amazing experience close to nature”
Review of Rios Tropicales

Rios Tropicales
Ranked #3 of 97 Tours in San Jose
More attraction details
Owner description: Rios Tropicales is an eco-adventure company that operates throughout Costa Rica. We offer adventure activities that take advantage of Costa Rica’s unique variety of environments: whitewater rafting, multisport activities that feature kayaking,canoeing, hiking, and cycling, family adventures, cultural encounters, nature and wildlife tours, and “volun-tourism”. Our mission, to share the rivers, natural resources and culture of Costa Rica while sharing conservation values, has not changed since we began in 1985. Rios Tropicales was established by native Central Americans, El Salvadorian Rafael Gallo and Costa Rican Fernando Esquivel, whose deep connection with the region and culture are apparent in every aspect of the company.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Miami, Florida
5 attraction reviews
“Amazing experience close to nature”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

During our vacation to Costa Rica on April 2012 we decided to do the 2-day tour with an overnight stay at the Rios Tropicales lodge. The rafting of the river was an incredible experience. The river was beautiful and it was so much fun. Yet our stay at the lodge was the highlight of our trip. The staff was amazing, they pretty much do everything for you, the food was great, and you feel so close to nature. I'm glad we picked this tour, one of the best things to experience in Costa Rica. Not recommended for kids under 12.

Visited April 2012
RiosTropicales, Owner at Rios Tropicales, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Ibrugal, Thanks for joining our Overnight and recommending us as the highlight of your stay in Costa Rica.

Pura vida,

New York City, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“An experience of a lifetime!!”
Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

If u are considering doing this adventure..I would sum it up in one word! Excellent..definitely do it. We did the one day trip and had a fantastic time..rafted through 18 miles of the Pacuare river complete with 5 class 4 rapids.. Our guide Michel and Kristin were amazing.. Very knowledgeable and fun. The food was good as well.. Very flavorful.. All in all an excellent day. Ps: we went on a day that it was pouring and that just added to the fun.

RiosTropicales, Owner at Rios Tropicales, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Hey NishaGC, you are so right about the adrenaline the rain adds for this trip! We'll let Michael and Christian know about your comments.

Happy paddling!

Abilene, Texas
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Rios Tropicales, Costa Rica White water rafting”
Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

FUNNNNNN! EXTREMELY FUN! Guide was awesome and very knowledgeable and extremely fun. Water went from Class II to IV on our ride and was simply amazing. Video quality was exceptional. I would highly recommend this excursion for anyone and everyone who likes a little excitement and likes to get wet!!!! Definitely our favorite outing while in Costa Rica for ten days. Hope to bring our entire family next time.

1 Thank drvgtopless
Hey drvgtopless, Thanks for posting your experience with us, specially for being the highlight for your trip. See you next time.

Take care,

London, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Amazing whitewater experience”
Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

My family and I did the 2 day white water rafting trip down the Pecuare river with this company. Our guide was Albert and he was a really friendly person who was happy to tell you anything you wanted to know while trying to make it an experience you wouldn't forget. The rapids are a little tamer than other rivers in Costa Rica such as the Torro and Saripique but this didn't matter as you still got the thrills. Included in the two day trip were walks to several different waterfalls which we were able to swim in the bottom of and had them just to our little group of 5 which was incredible, it also included a 4 zip line canopy tour at the Rios Tropicales lodge which was also amazing. I would definitely recommend this company as they provide professional whitewater rafting as well as enabling you to experience the rainforest and a lot of what Costa Rica has to offer.

1 Thank TomC1990
Dear TomC1990, Thanks for joining our Overnight Trip with your family and taking your time to write about it. those are cool action pictures you posted. Take care and see you next time.

Calgary, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“It really is a must do trip!”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We went on the 2 day overnight rafting trip and stayed in a "deluxe room" at the ecolodge. Basically you do the one day trip broken up by a stay at the Lodge, it included 5 meals, and transportation.

The trip started great, with a shuttle bus from San Jose, after a 2ish hour bus trip we stopped at the rios building for a very nice breakfast and this is where you can change for the trip. You can also leave larger luggage here if you need to (lockers) we each took a small duffle bag which rios put in a dry bag and carried to the lodge in a supply raft. I was very excited to start rafting but this is where I have to deduct one point. Once we got to the river we were informed that because we were staying overnight, we would not be rafting with the group but rather sitting in the front of the supply raft where we could ceremonially paddle should we be so inclined. To say I was disappointed is a major understatement. I was miserable as I watched the other rafts going over the rapids and celebrating their victory whilst I sat with my travel companion like a bunion. I wanted the rafting experience, and I did not get it. Worse I had to watch others get it. After about 1.5 hours we stopped at the lodge for the night. Thats the only negative, after that I can say this trip was absolutely fantastic, a 5 plus and the best experience I had in Costa Rica.

The lodge is absolutely beautiful, it's basic for sure, don't expect anything luxurious, but I think that adds to the charm. The area is spectacular! Our guide stayed at the lodge where we were the only 2 guests. He cooked delicious meals, and we were treated just great. He took us on a guided hike and zip lining, included in the price and both were just excellent. The zip line is not big, it's no skytrek but it was fun.

After the dismal trip in, I told my guide I was not happy in the supply raft. He was totally understanding and called the base, arranging for us to be in a normal raft the next day.

The second day was terrific! The great thing about this river is that the are lots of rapids without long waits in between. There were a few mellow areas where we were allowed to get out of the raft and float down the river. If you get the change (weather permitting) do it, it was magical, simply straight out of a movie. It was 2 hours of pure fun in an area which is breathtakingly beautiful. After the rafting you are given a nice lunch, and the chance to view and buy the trip photos. Very reasonable as it is charged by the boat and we all split it, we paid $8.50 each for a link to the pictures online.

Overall Rios was an excellent choice, they are very safety conscience and the guides were just excellent. This is an absolute must do trip, just be sure if you are staying at the lodge (highly recommended) that you ensure before you leave that you will not be in the supply raft. In saying that, if you have someone who isn't keen on rafting but really wants to go, riding in the supply raft may be just the ticket. If I get back to Costa Rica I will definitely book this trip again.

Visited December 2012
RiosTropicales, Owner at Rios Tropicales, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear MoaGoGo, Thanks for joining our overnight trip. We appreciate taking your time to write your recommendation. I will look into the reasons of you riding on the oar boat the first day. Take care and wishing you the best for these Holidays and 2013.