“Rios Tropicales, Costa Rica White water rafting”
Review of Rios Tropicales

Rios Tropicales
More attraction details
Owner description: Rios Tropicales is an eco-adventure company that operates throughout Costa Rica. We offer adventure activities that take advantage of Costa Rica’s unique variety of environments: whitewater rafting, multisport activities that feature kayaking,canoeing, hiking, and cycling, family adventures, cultural encounters, nature and wildlife tours, and “volun-tourism”. Our mission, to share the rivers, natural resources and culture of Costa Rica while sharing conservation values, has not changed since we began in 1985. Rios Tropicales was established by native Central Americans, El Salvadorian Rafael Gallo and Costa Rican Fernando Esquivel, whose deep connection with the region and culture are apparent in every aspect of the company.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

FUNNNNNN! EXTREMELY FUN! Guide was awesome and very knowledgeable and extremely fun. Water went from Class II to IV on our ride and was simply amazing. Video quality was exceptional. I would highly recommend this excursion for anyone and everyone who likes a little excitement and likes to get wet!!!! Definitely our favorite outing while in Costa Rica for ten days. Hope to bring our entire family next time.

1  Thank drvgtopless
RiosTropicales, Owner at Rios Tropicales, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Hey drvgtopless, Thanks for posting your experience with us, specially for being the highlight for your trip. See you next time.

Take care,

Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

My family and I did the 2 day white water rafting trip down the Pecuare river with this company. Our guide was Albert and he was a really friendly person who was happy to tell you anything you wanted to know while trying to make it an experience you wouldn't forget. The rapids are a little tamer than other rivers in Costa Rica such as the Torro and Saripique but this didn't matter as you still got the thrills. Included in the two day trip were walks to several different waterfalls which we were able to swim in the bottom of and had them just to our little group of 5 which was incredible, it also included a 4 zip line canopy tour at the Rios Tropicales lodge which was also amazing. I would definitely recommend this company as they provide professional whitewater rafting as well as enabling you to experience the rainforest and a lot of what Costa Rica has to offer.

1  Thank TomC1990

Dear TomC1990, Thanks for joining our Overnight Trip with your family and taking your time to write about it. those are cool action pictures you posted. Take care and see you next time.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

We went on the 2 day overnight rafting trip and stayed in a "deluxe room" at the ecolodge. Basically you do the one day trip broken up by a stay at the Lodge, it included 5 meals, and transportation.

The trip started great, with a shuttle bus from San Jose, after a 2ish hour bus trip we stopped at the rios building for a very nice breakfast and this is where you can change for the trip. You can also leave larger luggage here if you need to (lockers) we each took a small duffle bag which rios put in a dry bag and carried to the lodge in a supply raft. I was very excited to start rafting but this is where I have to deduct one point. Once we got to the river we were informed that because we were staying overnight, we would not be rafting with the group but rather sitting in the front of the supply raft where we could ceremonially paddle should we be so inclined. To say I was disappointed is a major understatement. I was miserable as I watched the other rafts going over the rapids and celebrating their victory whilst I sat with my travel companion like a bunion. I wanted the rafting experience, and I did not get it. Worse I had to watch others get it. After about 1.5 hours we stopped at the lodge for the night. Thats the only negative, after that I can say this trip was absolutely fantastic, a 5 plus and the best experience I had in Costa Rica.

The lodge is absolutely beautiful, it's basic for sure, don't expect anything luxurious, but I think that adds to the charm. The area is spectacular! Our guide stayed at the lodge where we were the only 2 guests. He cooked delicious meals, and we were treated just great. He took us on a guided hike and zip lining, included in the price and both were just excellent. The zip line is not big, it's no skytrek but it was fun.

After the dismal trip in, I told my guide I was not happy in the supply raft. He was totally understanding and called the base, arranging for us to be in a normal raft the next day.

The second day was terrific! The great thing about this river is that the are lots of rapids without long waits in between. There were a few mellow areas where we were allowed to get out of the raft and float down the river. If you get the change (weather permitting) do it, it was magical, simply straight out of a movie. It was 2 hours of pure fun in an area which is breathtakingly beautiful. After the rafting you are given a nice lunch, and the chance to view and buy the trip photos. Very reasonable as it is charged by the boat and we all split it, we paid $8.50 each for a link to the pictures online.

Overall Rios was an excellent choice, they are very safety conscience and the guides were just excellent. This is an absolute must do trip, just be sure if you are staying at the lodge (highly recommended) that you ensure before you leave that you will not be in the supply raft. In saying that, if you have someone who isn't keen on rafting but really wants to go, riding in the supply raft may be just the ticket. If I get back to Costa Rica I will definitely book this trip again.

RiosTropicales, Owner at Rios Tropicales, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2012

Dear MoaGoGo, Thanks for joining our overnight trip. We appreciate taking your time to write your recommendation. I will look into the reasons of you riding on the oar boat the first day. Take care and wishing you the best for these Holidays and 2013.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

i am a tour guide around the world and as such have done a LOT of rafting and extreme actvities and found this rafting trip to be one of the best i have done! I did the 3 days/2night trip, staying at the eco lodge and doing the ziplining and waterfall hike on the free day.

Guides were great and very professional. more professional then you expect most rafting guides to be. River is very beautiful but not as extreme as i was hoping for, having said that, i have done lots of rafting and the other 5 people in my boat who are not guides found it to be overly intense.

nothing to complain about, they did a great job! food was incredible!

Dear TrysE4, Thanks for joining our trip and take your time to write about us. Coming from a colleage confirms that we are on the right track providing great service.

Pura Vida,

Reviewed November 23, 2012

We did the 2 day overnight trip on the Pacuare River recently. Our guides were excellent, always making sure we were comfortable, safe and maximizing our 'fun potential'. They pointed out wildlife, waterfalls and cliffs we could jump into the river. The lodge was lovely, particularly for being in the middle of nowhere. Amazing what they could pull off by boating everything in. I also appreciated the safe lockers to keep our larger luggage and only take essential items on the river itself.

My only complaints were communication from their headquarters. Little things like we were told there would be breakfast on day one, and they offered a tiny fruit selection. That's fine, however, knowing lunch would be late afternoon on the river, a little more food as promised would have been nice. Just a small communication of 'hey, it's our slow season, there's no breakfast' would have been appreciated. The biggest bummer was on day 2 of our trip, we ended up waiting about 4 extra hours for another group to come in with the safety boaters so that we could leave. It wouldn't have been so bad, however, we kept getting an update 'twenty more minutes' over and over which turned to 4 lost hours. I would have loved to take advantage of the time to go on the hike to a nearby summit that they'd shown us.

I'd recommend going with Rios Tropicales on your vacation. Particularly the Pacuare was gorgeous and fun.

1  Thank erinonsnow

Dear erinonsnow, We appreciate taking your time to write about your experience with us. Your recommendations have been addressed in the proper manner to make us better.