“CostaRicanTrails is amazing!”

Costa Rican Trails - Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Costa Rican Trails proudly presents a collection of unique travel experiences in each and every tour. Every multiday package, hotel, tour, and transportation service has been carefully designed and selected to meet our high standards of quality and travel value.
“CostaRicanTrails is amazing!”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My boyfriend (24) and I (21) wanted to take a trip that had the perfect balance of romantic, adventurous, and relaxing and this is exactly what it was. Lorena was our trip coordinator and she did an amazing job. We did the extreme adventure package and we were there for 8 days (7 nights). We stayed at 5 different hotels throughout our trip because we traveled all around. Without Lorena, I would have had to find each of these hotels by myself, do my research, find out if they had the activities we wanted to do, set up cars to pick us up or even worse, rent a car and find our own ways. This would have taken me forever and I probably would have given up before I even booked the trip. Every hotel we stayed in was clean, beautiful and right in the middle of plenty of different activities. The original package states that you will stay in a hotel right outside of the city, but since our flight arrived around 11am, Lorena was thoughtful enough and kind enough to ask us if we wanted to stay in a different hotel the first night in the heart of the city. I'm very glad we took her up on this offer so we could explore.

Not one thing went wrong on this trip. Every driver was on time, there was never a problem getting into any of the activities we paid for and this package give you a BANG FOR YOUR BUCK. I can't even begin to tell you how many different things we did on this trip (I have over 630 pictures). Every driver (along with every person we talked to on the phone) from Costa Rican Trails was overly friendly and accommodating. On top of this, they were very knowledgeable and enjoyed sharing new information about Costa Rica with us.

I can honestly say this was the best trip my boyfriend, as well as myself have ever had. We WILL be going back when we get the chance and we WILL be using Costa Rican Trails.

2 Thank Tinamarie7211991

Gaithersburg, Maryland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Good company - great staff”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My husband and I just got married in Costa Rica this past August. We chose CostaRican Trails to coordinate our shuttles, hotels and adventure services. In every case except for the shuttles, we were very satisfied.

Mario was our trip coordinator, and we would like to personally thank him for all of the time and energy he put into our trip to make it a success. He gave prompt responses to me and my guests throughout the whole planning process. I also appreciate extra accommodations that he made to make the planning much easier on me. Based on my experience with Mario, I would have been happy to recommend Costa Rican Trails highly.

However, my husband and I were sincerely disappointed by the unprofessional way the delayed flight issue was handled by the company. When I went through the trouble of making sure that I gave Mario everyone's flight numbers and information, I assumed that CostaRican trails would use that information to check on the flight status and be prepared to make changes to the schedule if necessary. Flight delays are a very common thing and one that is not the fault of the customer. If CostaRican Trails would have informed me that we would have to pay extra for an entire shuttle if there were any flight delays, I would most certainly not have used your services. We prepaid for your shuttle services and in the end, we ended up paying much more than we would have paid if we would have just picked up a shuttle when we arrived. Our group provided great business to CostaRican Trails through shuttles, hotels and tour adventures, so we expected to be treated as valued customers. Unfortunately, we feel that because of this major incident which caused me personally a lot of stress and money during my wedding trip, we can't recommend CostaRican Trails highly. We contacted CostaRican Trails about this, and while Mario explained the situation several times, his supervisor never even bothered to contact us directly.

Overall, it was a good experience, that could've been fantastic.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Cheryse S
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Fantastic”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I booked a tailor-made trip with David from CostaRican Trails for a trip with 2 adults and two kids (5, 3) in june 2012. The itinerary David created was perfect for a family and was great value. All the arrangements were impeccable and all the guides were knowledgeable and friendly. Hopefully we will return to Costa Rica one day and I would definitely book with Costa Rican Trails again.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
“Fantastic experience”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

CostaRican Trails is great !

This was our first family trip to Costa Rica, 2 adults, a teenager and a 10 year old. We reviewed Costa Rican Trails before selecting them. David set up a great itinerary, one we chose from an on-line selection of tours geared toward viewing wildlife with a family in tow. "Alfredo" picked us up at San Jose airport and took us to Hotel El Rodeo, a very good hotel with clean comfortable rooms and great breakfast. It was somewhat remote, with little of interest nearby, and we needed to take a taxi to see anything that night. Our first full day was a trip to the Rain Forest and Aerial Tram tour, an hour or so from the hotel. The park was great, the guides knowledgeable and engaging. Our trek though the park was cut short by torrential rain, but hearing the rain pounding on the roof while we waited for it to clear was an experience unto itself. The Aerial Tram ride through the treetops was gentle and informative.

On Day 3 we were taken to Arenal by “Jose”, and stayed at the Arenal Paraiso Spa and Lodge. The view of the volcano was spectacular, though there is little to no “volcanic activity” anymore. We arrived early, around noon, and our cabin was not yet ready so we strolled around the grounds and ate lunch while we waited. The cabin itself was pleasant, a little rustic but comfortable and functional. We booked a zipline activity for the afternoon, our first time trying that. It is onsite and comprises 12 towers and 11 lines. Some of the lines were very fast, and were a lot of fun. Personally I didn't “see” the countryside while going down the lines, I was too focused on doing the ziplines right, but I expect that next time I'll be more comfortable with it and be able to enjoy the scenery more. We spent time in the pools and numerous hot spring pools, very relaxing. There was a sloth hanging out in a tree next to the restaurant, very cool. We also saw lots of hummingbirds and iguanas. That night, we walked down to to “Arenal Natura Ecological Park”, just “300 metres away” according to the tour desk. More like 1300 metres I suspect. It was small but very informative. The guide was very enthusiastic and knowledgeable. It was a night trek, and we expected to see more animals that we actually did. But we did see a lot of frogs.

The next day we took a trip to Cano Negro, a full day boat tour. The ride to the boat was lengthy, but our guide kept us engaged and learning about animals and Costa Rica in general. It was a spectacular day where we saw so much wildlife on the river – caimans, iguanas, lizards, birds galore, sloths, spider monkeys, howler monkeys, bats, butterflies, turtles, the list just goes on. Our guide was excellent.

We left Arenal and went to Manuel Antonio on the Pacific coast. “Alfredo” was once again our driver. He knew a lot about the country and kept us informed about what we were seeing throughout the trip. The Hotel Parador is just stunning, we couldn't believe we were staying in such a luxurious hotel. We spent the afternoon in the pool and just relaxed. There was a shuttle between the hotel and the small town of Manuel Antonio, but we didn't take advantage of it. The next day we took a sea kayaking trip on the Pacific from Manuel Antonio to a beach that happened to be next to the Parador. The beach was great, with soft white sand. The ocean was very warm, but due to the fact that it was the rainy season the water was quite murky. We swam and snorkeled, but were unable to see much underwater beyond a depth of about a metre. It was a pleasant morning, and we returned to the hotel early afternoon.

We were scheduled to return to San Jose the next afternoon, so we booked a morning trip to the Manuel Antonio National Park. The park was crowded with school groups and tours, so be warned that the walk is less than peaceful. The guides were once again excellent, and we saw a few monkeys and sloths during the 90 minute walk but not much else. The park is a beautiful place nonetheless. The beaches within the park boundaries are spectacular. The ocean again was warm and the tides strong. It was here that we encountered the mischievous Capuchin monkeys. They are unafraid of humans and freely approach. One jumped onto my daughters back in an attempt to get to a backpack nearby, we watched as it unzipped the pack and began pulling out the contents in search of food. We also saw iguanas and a raccoon on the beach pathway.

Checkout was noon, but we had arranged with the hotel to shower and cleanup when we returned from the park walk. We enjoyed one final meal at the hotel before being transferred back to San Jose for the night. Once again we were at the El Rodeo, which after Arenal and Manuel Antonio seemed too “city like”. We again took a taxi to find dinner at a local mall called Cariari plaza, as the restaurant at the hotel is a little pricey.

“Alfredo” was once again our driver to pick us up in the morning and take us to the airport.

It was a fantastic trip, CostaRican Trails could not have been better - professional, reliable, courteous, knowledgeable, engaging. We can wholeheartedly recommend them and are already thinking about booking another trip with them in Costa Rica next year.

We would have made just a few changes to our itinerary, and this is just in hindsight – on paper it looked great. First, we would have spent the final night at the Parador in Manuel Antonio rather than in San Jose, and would have left very early in the morning in order to check in at the airport by 11am. We felt that we lost a day by leaving when we did. And second, we would have added 2 more days, we ended up feeling that it was “too soon to leave”. 8 days / 7 nights was not quite enough.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank 60795Jen
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Costa Rican Trails made our family vacation easy and fun!”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Our trip to Costa Rica was our first non-resort holiday since having kids and David and the team at COsta Rican Trails made planning the vacation easy. They started us off with an interary and hotels and let us customize form there. We booked transport ahead of time and all our drivers were on time and super nice and helpful. I would definitely recommend using this tour service.

Visited July 2011