“Total Rip Off!”

Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 18, 2012

My wife and 2 daughters had just arrived in San Jose, staying nearby at the Christina. To cut a long story short, we were greeted by a big fat guy who is the owner. He seems like a jolly, hospitable man - offering to bring us Meze while we wait for dinner. The usual assorted dips with pita bread. He tries to sell his special lamb dishes, which we luckily ended up splitting as did our daughters with a lamb shish kebab. The food was good but I was shocked and horrified when the bill came - he charged us the equivalent of $60 for Meze for four. I told him this was very expensive and he just pointed to the very back of the menu where the price was listed. For all I know the small portions could have been the price for two just doubled because four were seated. He even had the cheek to add service which I refused to pay. We ended up paying $140 for two shared lamb dishes, the Meze, two club sodas and two beers. I like many other reviewers felt like an idiot for being tricked and also violated by his con. I told the hotel and they already knew all about him, but I hadn't specifically asked about this place so wasn't warned. I like others am incredulous why he would keep doing this to customers. I felt that it was only foreigners who would never be back, but there are similar Spanish language reviews so he must do this to locals too. DON'T GO THERE for your own sake and hopefully to eventually put him out of business.

2  Thank Sean1969

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Hate being ripped-off, the owner wants your money more than wanting you to come back again, never again

1  Thank JustGoinPlaces
Reviewed October 31, 2012

There are quite a few options for Middle Eastern food in the San Jose area but none come even close to the Beirut.

The owner is extremely eager to please his guests and thus, accommodates just about any need or wish you could have. We have had him prepare a fantastic sampler more than once that took us on a culinary trip through the region - fantastic.

Food is consistently outstanding and plentiful, even if you are a vegetarian. Service is friendly and fast while prices are certainly appropriate for what you get.

When in the area, I have no problem stopping by - especially for lunch.

To the best of my recollection, the restaurant offer belly dancers on Saturday nights - but please confirm this before you go.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Extremely delightful middle eastern restaurant. Owner grows the lamb on his own farm, as well as many of the other things served here. Somewhat pricey, but extraordinary.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

people complained about the food here they are crazy! or do not travel a lot .. yes it is expensive but the quality is excellent ! and I could even call and pcik up if I wanted too ..

2  Thank nnorat