“San Jose” 4 of 5 stars

KC Hotel San Jose
Ranked #46 of 83 Hotels in San Jose
“San Jose”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I liked staying at this hotel it was one of the bet on my trip and the rooms were nice. I really liked the rooms and the layout of the hotel. It had a pool and is right next to a great smoothie place called Gustos. I thought the food was advarage but still was not bad. However I thought the receptionist could have been a little better. When ever I asked for something he would give me a look and drag his feet somtimes he was talking on the phone when I was standing there too. But that is not all of the receptionist because some I were very fond of to be quite honest.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
Irene E, Manager at KC Hotel San Jose, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thanks for your comments

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Korean first
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Do you enjoy the smell of carpet glue? Does a circular saw lull you to sleep? Wish you could step over workmen on your way into your room? Yeah, me neither.

I was with a tour group and the Hotel KC was our last stop. Yes, it was elegant-y -- maybe more 'spa-like' in its look so it was a significant improvement over all of our other hotels, but it wasn't as nice as I had hoped. Its neutral appearance was deceiving.

Through no fault of its own, the hotel is situated near the train, so be prepared for endless train horn blaring starting at 5 a.m. If you can't sleep through the train noise (which happens during the afternoon siesta time as well), you can probably ask for an interior room. The rooms are on the left of the building and the right -- be sure to ask for any room on the right. Our room faced an apartment complex and a veterinarian's office. Think crying baby and nonstop dog barking. And we didn't have air-conditioning to mask any of the noises outside; we simply had a fan.

Yeah, I couldn't wait to get home so that I could sleep.

Also, the staff were unfriendly and the meals they gave us were weird. Our final meal on our Costa Rican trip consisted of french fries with Thousand Island dressing on them and rice. We also had two juices which were really tasty. I had blown off a decent meal down the street expecting a great meal at the hotel. Very disappointed with our last meal -- would have been better if the whole thing had been our endless rice 'n beans/beans 'n rice combo.

KC Hotel got the three stars from the decor, the shower pressure, the security guard behind a closed gate, and the fact that the Internet connection was the best of all the hotels we stayed at when it was working. Not sure if the shower pressure was because the hot water heater was right outside our window, but someone with plumbing experience will know the answer to that!

Room Tip: Rooms on the right are quieter away from the train, crying babies, and overnight guests at the vet...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
maria p, Public Relations Manager at KC Hotel San Jose, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. I deeply regret the inconveniences you suffer. I am happy to report that the remodeling is done. As per the problem with the dog clinic, we were not aware that the noise was affecting certain rooms; we will talk with them immediately to see what can we do.

Finally as per the staff, thank you for letting us know. We will take your opinion in consideration.
The management
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This hotel is very clean, has air-conditioning, a nice restaurant and isn't too far (a block or so) away from 2 markets. They service was very great. They have wifi available and also 2 computers for visitors to use.

Room Tip: All the rooms that our group had were great!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This was my first long stay in Costa since living tin Costa Rica back in 2000. It was so exceptional that I actually returned to Colaye three different times throughout my 3 week stay. The hotel is very boutque style hotel located in beautiful Sabana located just minutes from San Jose and exclusive Escazu. It offers a very modern / trendy feel throughout the hotel with deco art throughout the hallways. Miguel Guevara Molina who works up front has gone above and beyond to make sure the stay far exceeded my expectations offering a level of unparralled service that is hard to find in any hotel. The rooms were spotless and the beds beyond comfortable and free Wifi. The restaurant offers a great inclusive breakfast that was a complete added touch. I highly recommend staying at Hotel KC Colaye when visiting San Jose. You will not be dissapointed. Chris H - CEO Data One Merchant Services

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
San Jose, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Pros: the breakfast is really good and the decor is nice

CONS:
- They have a serious problem with the drainage system (pit) that causes an awful smell it is really unbearable. It was just so hard to fall asleep with that sent.
- We were charged $15 dollars for the amenities that are normally courtesy at other hotels, they even charged us for the chocolates we did not consume since my boyfriend and I are both allergic to chocolates but the room attendant said the chocolates wasnt there so they charged it.
- They have a table with only one chair, so what if we both wanted so sit around the table?
- You can hear everything going on in the hallways and between rooms.
- No flexibility if you need to check out later.
- The hot water did not work, we called for them to fix it but they didnt come so we had to shower with cold water since check out time was coming up and as i mentioned before there is no flexibility when it comes to the check out time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank Naomi V
maria p, Public Relations Manager at KC Hotel San Jose, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
We deeply regret and apologies for your inconveniences. We proceed to check on your room and nearby room for both the water problem and the smell that you reported. Our operations manager is pay close attention to this matter. As per the late check-out it was reported to me that the hotel was full and for that reason it was not possible to offer you a complementary late check out. We do our best to offer our clients this option, when is possible.
Thank you for your information.

Maria
COSTA RICA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Very Very recomended! Hotel Colaye located in the capital citi San Jose.
I have been there a few times, and when i'm visiting san jose i always like to stop and stay there, Its always feels like home (even better haha) the rooms are very clean and tight, the beds very comfortable, always when i coming there i sleeping very good.
You have there all what you need, the staff is always take care about everything you ask for or you need .
Easy to get there, AM:PM supermarket on the corner of the street and its really close to the center. They have a nice pool and really good restaurant.
The prices are very fair and worth it.

Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I sencerely recomend staying at this hotel when visiting San Jose. I enjoyed very much this hotel, since the rooms are very clean and tight. It is located in a quiet environment, yet very close to the centre of town. Prices are very fair. Fun to sit near the pool at night and drink bear or coffee. Very good food. Staff is super welcoming! I would certainly pay an additional visit to this hotel if I return to San Jose in the future. Yoav Gal, Israel.

• Stayed March 2013