“Ode to Out of Bounds Boutique Hotel”

Out of Bounds Hotel
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Escazu
San Francisco, California
“Ode to Out of Bounds Boutique Hotel”
Reviewed January 21, 2011

Jack and Jill live in Escazu, a suburb of San Jose, Costa Rica. Where Jack pretends to protect Ricardo, and Jill barks along but knows better. And all the while do Mateo and Miranda show their guests comfort and art too, only those who dwell long enough get to know Mimi and Cindy, so blessed you wish they were you.

So come one and all to the place not Out of Bounds where the honest welcome mat sits, where Jack’s broken crown nor Jill fallen down, have ever known to exist. And least forget not the true joys of the troupe, sweet Merissa (or is it Antonia) and Adrian, who carry on the tradition of innocent bliss, that we adults feign not to remember.

Cast:
Jack and Jill: resident canines
Ricardo: friendly security
Mateo and Miranda: owners / proprietors
Mimi and Cindy: temporary help
Merissa (who introduced herself as Antonia to us) and Adrian (Cindy’s six year old boy)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed January 19, 2011

We stayed for 5 nights during the rainy season (but missed the rain). We practically had the place to ourselves. Matteo picked us up from the airport and the breakfast was always on time and delicious. The tours were amazing. We booked two of them before we got there and for about 100/each, they were worth it.

Tour 1: Zip lining, white water rafting, and lunch- amazing price! The zip line alone is worth the money. The white water rafting is not the best, but it is good enough.

Tour 2: Arenal Volcano and Toscani spa waterfall- We weren't able to see the volcano, but the hot springs spa was the most amazing thing... The water was heated and there were many places to get lost in the rainforest. Monkeys were everywhere.

Tour 3- Catamaran boat ride to Turtle island- The boat was sooo nice... and we ended up playing soccer with the locals on the beach. The beach isn't huge, but it is secluded and beautiful. Lunch under the palm trees with steel drums was awesome. We saw a wild pig, parrot, etc.

The only negatives are that there really wasn't too many local options for food and it's hard to get around to see the nightlife... You mainly are too tired from getting up early for tours anyway. San Jose was interesting, but not my favorite day. Ricardo was awesome haha! The taxis are cheap and wayyy cleaner than US taxis. One day we did get up early for a tour and could get the gate open. No one was there and we had to wake the family up to open the gate... It was stressful because we didn't want to miss our tour, nor did we want to wake up a sleeping family.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank uncwmel10
Crystal River, Florida
Reviewed October 30, 2010

We just returned from a 12 day stay in Escazu, Costa Rica. The purpose of our trip was my dental work for my adult son. We stayed at Out of Bounds, which is both a boutique hotel and a vacation house rental. They have little signs in the office and house that say: meet as strangers leave as friends. Nothing could be more true!

The owners were great to work with and very attentive to our needs. They arranged airport transfers both ways and offered to arrange possible recreational activities (although we didn’t get to take advantage of them due to my son’s dental schedule).

Since we stayed in both the hotel and the house, I can honestly say that this property has accommodations to meet all your needs: short or long term. Both the house and the hotel were great: charming and very clean with friendly, comfortable, safe atmosphere. The beds in both the hotel and house are extremely comfortable (which is a wonder compared to other similarly priced hotels where we have stayed in Central America). The hotel itself is pretty new but the house is a bit older. The house has Mexican tile and wooden floors, a huge kitchen. The largest bedroom has a huge sunken tub (my husband estimates 6 X 8 feet). The house has a nice yard with banana trees, flowers, and an abundance of birds and butterflies. There is also an enclosed courtyard with a built in barbeque pit! In the hotel, the floors are wooden and the bathrooms have hand painted sinks. Our room in the hotel had air conditioning. The showers in both the hotel and house had very hot water and great water pressure. Breakfast is complimentary if staying in the hotel and is one of the largest, and best tasting, breakfasts I have enjoyed during our numerous B&B stays throughout the world.

The staff were great! The security man was vigilant and observant; we came to feel we had made a friend with him despite the language barrier. The housekeeping staff kept things neat and tidy . Also, they kept better track of my belongings than I did: they could always find something for me whenever I misplaced it ( which was fairly often as the vacation rental house is mammoth).

The property is located on the main road that goes through Escazu and is very convenient for getting about town. It is a mixed, residential/commercial area so you are within easy walking distance of the mall, restaurants, and dental offices. The bus stops right outside the hotel gate; or, the hotel will gladly call a taxi for you whenever you need. Traveling into San Jose by taxi is reasonably priced from this location. There is a bit of street noise during the day but it quiets down at night.

Oh, by the way, did I mention the view? At the hotel, you can sit in rocking chairs on the veranda and watch the sun set over the Central Valley and enjoy all the beautiful lights. In the house, you can sit in the front room and see the same awesome view.

You might find a cheaper room in Escazu. But, since I extensively researched all hotels and bed/breakfasts in Escazu that were on the internet, I can say with confidence that the Out of Bounds had the best prices around for the quality provided. Before we booked, I read on Trip Advisor that Out of Bounds was rated #1 among Escazu B&Bs. Now I see why. They have the total package: great location, beautiful view, warm and caring owners, phenomenal staff. You won’t be sorry if you choose this wonderful hotel/vacation rental for your stay while in Costa Rica. Pura Vida!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Nova Scotia
Reviewed October 17, 2010

It was very relaxing and whatever we needed the staff was more than happy to help out. It was nice also to have a Canadian girl to greet us fellow Canadians, very homelike vibe with a gorgeous Costa RIca view of the volcanos.WE WILL BE BACK with more family!!!! We also had a guided tour to and from a volcano when we were there so whatever tour it is you want they can accommodate.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 23, 2010

From the moment I arrived Meranda and the staff at Out of Bounds made me feel like I was at home. My room was clean and cozy and quiet, breakfast in the morning was so delicious (with a view overlooking the valley) and delivered with a smile, wifi throughout the facility made it easy to stay connected and get work done (while enjoying the view). It was very peaceful being there. I will definitely have a return visit.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Tampa Bay, Florida
Reviewed August 16, 2010

I am remiss in not posting this review immediately after my stay in September 2009 (I thought I had but...oh well). I'll be returning in a few months and am anxious to experience the hospitality and views that Out of Bounds affords.

I travelled to Costa Rica to have extensive dental work done at a clinic down the road. I was very nervous to travel alone in a foreign country for such a long time (two weeks). I had contacted a few B&B's in Escazu by email and Merenda actually telephoned me! She and Matteo are so pleasant and down to earth that I knew this was the place for me!

For an extended stay, I recommend the superior suite with the kitchenette. When you're sore, tired and hurting from a day in the dental chair, it is so nice to be able to cook some soup for dinner. Stores are one kilometer away. The decor of the room was beautiful. The sink was awesome! And those rocking chairs...a whole new level of comfort while gazing at the views.

Breakfasts were always wonderful and delicious. When my mouth was hurting, they prepared the most delicious smoothies. The fruit was always so fresh! The view from the balcony while having breakfast was a great start to the day.

The guard, Carlos, accompanied me on my first walk to the dental clinic and from that day forward, he always watched me to make sure I got there safely. The grass on the empty lot between Out of Bounds and Dentavac was so high that I had to walk gingerly on the street. Next thing I know, the grass that been trimmed by Out of Bounds' gardener!!! Now that is going beyond the call of service!

Matteo and Merenda (and little Marissa) were so delightful and helpful. I was met at the airport by Matteo and driven comfortably to the lodge. They helped me get prescription medication delivered to the hotel. When I took a weekend tour to the volcano, they allowed me to keep my room so I wouldn't have to pack up. The Arenal/Tabacon Hot Springs tour was incredible, by the way. They even arranged for a masseuse to come to my room twice for relaxing massages to soothe me after hours in the dental clinic. When I was finally able to eat dinner, each recommendation was awesome and delivery was quick.

I look forward to my return to Out of Bounds. For solo female travelers who are thinking of going to Costa Rica for dental or medical treatment, this is THE place to stay!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
, Owner at Out of Bounds Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2010
We really enjoyed our time together, look forward to having you back. Don't forget your on the Frequent Client program so discounted rate next booking.

Coffee is on me!

See you soon.
Meranda
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 13, 2010

This place is just as beautiful as the pictures suggest, and far beyond what you can imagine. The view is spectacular, the service is top notch, and the rooms are extremely clean, comfortable and VERY well decorated.

I traveled to Costa Rica alone and was looking for a starting place for my 5 week trip. I decided to stay at this B&B because Miranda (one of the owners) called me... yes, she actually called me from Costa Rica and offered her assistance with my trip, even if I decided not to stay at Out of Bounds. I was blown away!

They arranged for a trusted taxi driver to pick me up at the airport; and when I accidentally gave him too much money, he gave it back!

I only planned on staying at OOB for 3 nights, but stayed an extra 2 in order to plan the rest of my trip. Mateo suggested a day trip to Poas Volcano, Doka Coffee and La Paz Waterfall Gardens... the price was reasonable and the trip was great. Miranda took the time to map out my entire trip, even suggesting other hotels and contacting friends of hers to help me along the way! They even held one of my suitcases while I traveled around the country!! Ricardo (security), the nicest Tico in Costa Rica (next to you Mateo!) was extremely polite and patient with my remedial Spanish.

I had a great stay. I've already suggested it to several people who are planning visits to CR. I will defiantly return to Out of Bounds when I return to the Rich Coast!

oh... and I almost forgot the breakfast is amazing! If you're spending time in Costa Rica you will eat a lot of gallo pinto and eggs, but this was some of the best in Central America (including the breakfasts in Nicaragua and Panama!)... AND they have a non-traditional breakfast option too, that includes about 1 pound of fresh cut fruit. Yum.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo