$187
  • Pool
Hotel Alta Las Palomas(Escazu)(Great Value!)
$140
Posada El Quijote(Escazu)(Great Value!)
$75
$84
Fauna Luxury Hostel(Escazu)(Great Value!)
$38
  • Pool
$119
$55
Apartotel Don Francisco(Escazu)(Great Value!)
$53
Costa Verde Inn(Escazu)(Great Value!)
$49
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Out of Bounds Boutique Hotel was absolutely one of the all around best hotels that I and my other 3 traveling companions have ever stayed at though out all our vacation travels. Being that we have traveled to other countries in Europe and the Caribbean, both Meranda and Matteo provided excellent service that was beyond any of our expectations!

The Hotel is absolutely charming (the pictures do no justice for the beautiful views and tropical ambiance that this hotel has - you have to personally experience this and see with your own eyes). Upon our arrival in San José, Matteo picked us up from the Airport and was professional and very welcoming. We told him that this was our 1st trip to Costa Rica and we wanted to have a great time.

Upon arriving to Out of Bounds, It is apparent that this is not your typical "chain hotel" like a Radisson, or Marriot. This IS a Boutique Hotel and both Meranda & Matteo provided all of us with amazing accommodations, we were even upgraded and then some! The security guard, Ricardo was very kind and polite, he was always asking us if we needed anything if he saw any of us while passing by. Meranda & Matteo helped us in scheduling our itinerary for our daily excursions. The Hotel also has a Tourist Center which provides so many different tours and outdoor adventures... Once we decided all the activities we were in agreement to do, Meranda & Matteo set up all of this for us and provided us with the details of the daily activities.

My honest recommendation would be for anyone who really does want to receive personalized accommodations and attention to detail, Meranda & Matteo would be the people you want to go see at Out of Bounds. We stayed in two different rooms, 1-Superior Room & 1-Deluxe Room. The rooms were immaculate and trendy. The beds were Simmons... need I say more? The bathrooms were very clean and they have HOT RUNNING WATER!! Keep in mind that many hotels in Costa Rica do not have hot water.

Hands down, Meranda & Matteo made our Costa Rica trip unforgettable. We experienced great adventures on the tours and even had a dinner with great conversation with Meranda & Matteo our last night in Costa Rica and at the hotel. All four of us were so sad to leave and even missed them when we returned to the US.

We can honestly say that we even gained friends that we will never forget and are truly thankful for the awesome experience they helped us have.

If you would like to contact me about any of the great tours they have and options they provide, I would be more than happy to discuss this with you or answer any questions you may have.

You may contact me via email @ matthew@skullbaseinstitute.com

Regards,
Matt Rivera

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2009

A boutique hotel in the heart of the Central Valley. Meranda & Matteo are perfect hosts and offer a beautiful, restful hotel for all types of travellers. The rooms are beautiful and impeccably clean. The beds are the most comfortable you will find in Costa Rica. We've stayed in many hotels but this one is the best value. I would recommend Out of Bounds to anyone!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed September 24, 2009

My travels have taken me to different types of destinations over the years. While climates, attractions, amenities and a myriad of other reasons to travel among different locations are so different from one another, I always look for a constant. Genuine care from any service provider that I patronize.

Last year, my travels took me to Costa Rica. I have been a fan of tropical destinations for quite some time and really just wanted to get away and relax. I ran across the out of bounds tourist center while doing some Internet surfing and subsequently found the attached bed and breakfast.

While the property is not beachside, (quite the opposite actually, as it is in the central valley) it contains such charm and peace that one would only associate with a more secluded location.

The facts are simple. The management of the property is absolutely intuitive to all guests needs, rooms are clean, themed, and modern, food is fantastic, and the level of service and smiles received are so true to what is known as a natural characteristic of Costa Ricans - cheerful hospitality.

If you need to stay in or near San Jose, choose this property. You will be writing positive reviews shortly thereafter. I assure you.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 9, 2009

It is difficult to describe all the great things about Out of Bounds Lodge. Don't let the name scare you away thinking it is a a backpackers hangout. The owners, Matt & Meranda, the watchman Ricardo, were more than accommodating. The location is perfect for me, on the bus line to everywhere- restaurants, shopping. Very comfortable beds, clean and tastefully decorated rooms, great food.
I stayed for 3 weeks and never felt like i was in a hotel room. It felt like home away from home. I'll be back for sure. I hope you give them a try. They will do their best to make you feel welcome !

Reviewed September 7, 2009

The owners of this hotel are just wonderful. The rooms are super clean and the feel is just like being at home. I have stayed here a few times before and Matteo and his wife have have always made me feel like family. The breakfast is made to order and the wifi is fast making it a great place to catch up after bouncing around the jungle all week. I wish them the best in the business as they are wonderful folks.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business