“i felt like i was staying with family”

Out of Bounds Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Escazu
Reviewed May 19, 2009

This was my second hotel during my first trip to costa rica. my first hotel was chosen and paid for by my company because i started my trip with business. i was left to my own money for the remainder of my trip so i searched long and hard for a nice, safe place to stay. i found out of bounds early in my search and i kept coming back to it. needless to say, i booked my stay there and could not have been happier. my room was perfect for a solo traveler such as myself. the bathroom has inspired me to redo my own. the bed was more comfortable than any i have ever slept on. the view from my terrace was amazing. the trips i booked through the out of bounds tourist/traveler center were phenomenal. i hope to do more business down near san jose so i can return to out of bounds!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed May 6, 2009

This place is in a gorgeous location on the hillside looking out over the valley and has quiet modern rooms (with nice art and very comfortable beds) and a big terrace with great views. The most relaxing place I stayed in my whole trip!
All the staff were really nice, especially the incredibly friendly and helpful owners who really made my stay hassle-free and went out of their way to help me find good places to go in the area..

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 14, 2009

From the minute we stepped through the gate of this amazing Bed and Breakfast, we felt instantly secure and relaxed. The friendly owners greeted us and, having heard that it was our long-awaited honeymoon, they upgraded us to a suite. The rooms are VERY clean (and we're picky), and are decorated with fresh colours. We slept soundly in the plush beds. The impressive bathrooms are modern and spatious. Being our first time in Costa Rica, we were a little concerned with our safety walking the streets. The B&B is in a very safe neighbourhood (the U.S. ambassador lives down the street). The owners calmed our nerves and guided us to a great shopping mall full of amazing restaurants that is a short walk away. This B&B is DEFINITELY on our list of accomodations next time we visit that fantastic country!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JB2005
Reviewed March 24, 2009

As soon as we arrived at Out of Bounds, we were greeted by a friendly staff who helped carry our bags in and show us our rooms. The rooms were beautiful, bright and clean, with a wonderful view of San Jose, including a view of the volcanoes! The beds were large and comfortable and I awoke to a traditional, delicious Costa Rican breakfast of eggs, rice and beans, with such a large portion that none of us could even finish it all. We were then shuttled to the airport by Matteo- the gracious owner, for only a couple colones a piece! All in all, it could have been better!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank FloridaGringa
Reviewed March 23, 2009

My friends and I were actually staying in a different part of Costa Rica and we wanted to stay the night in San Jose the night before our flight. We were referred to Out of Bounds by a mutual friend and we are so glad that we were! My friends and I showed up and just fell in love with the place. We were greeted at the door with such warmth! Although, I think when the doors to our rooms were opened we got even more excited because we saw the big, overstuffed, comfortable beds! After a long day of travel that was just what we were looking for. The rooms were great and the bathrooms were nice too. In the morning we had their Costa Rican breakfast along with a view of three different volcanos. After breakfast Out of Bounds took us to the airport in their van. Overall we had a wonderful night and morning at Out of Bounds. We couldn't have asked for nicer people and a nicer place to stay on our last night in Costa Rica!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 10, 2009

This was not my first stay at the Out of Bounds Lodge. I had just never got round to posting a review of my experiences there. I have to make the trip to the Central Valley roughly three times a year, I have been doing this for some years now. My experiences have not always been one's to remember but with OOB the fear of uncertainty has been eliminated. First off service, Miranda and Matteo , they have an eagerness and enthusiasm that is unparalleled in the Central Valley, couple this with a peaceful ambience and the most luxurious bedding, ( truly no expense spared), staying there is quite like a reoccurring mini honeymoon except I am always there for business.
Good breakfast options, service with a smile,well-priced room and tours a plenty (if you have time), all this makes for reliable and enjoybale central valley experience time after time.
Thanks Doug

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2009

We recently stayed here two nights on our way into, and then out of, San Jose. Both stays were great experiences. The hotel itself is quiet and feels very secluded and safe, despite being in the middle of a busy city. Our rooms were clean, bright and lovely, with nice hardwood floors, great bedding and an awesome bathroom (including a shower with great water pressure/temperature -- not always the norm during our time in Costa Rica, unfortunately). The view was amazing and there were lots of tables and rocking chairs on the balconies for reading, lounging and absorbing the amazing scenery. The owners were beyond friendly and helpful with our every question/request, and we had a lot of them since we were just basically trying to kill time during our two stays in San Jose. If we ever get back to Costa Rica, we'd stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple