See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 15, 2015

As others have mentioned, the two things that make this place shine are the wonderful view out across the city and of the surrounding mountains, and the manager, Fernando. The room was fine, quiet and clean, with a great shower. Fernando was great, always willing to offer assistance or answer questions. There is also free calls to the U.S. which was very nice. They work with a tour guide, Kelly, who is very accommodating; she will take you wherever you want to go for a day, or get up and drive you to the airport at 4AM!

Stayed: March 2015, traveled as a couple
Hotel-Out-of-Bounds, Front Office Manager at Out of Bounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2015

Dear Kenneth,

Thank you for taking time to write such a detailed and heartwarming review on our rooms, services, facilities, amenities and location. I personally appreciate the comment directly about my position and my work in the hotel. When my guests are fine, Im fine too. Thank you su much.
All our team enjoyed being of service to you during your recent stay and earnestly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, giving us a chance to further impress you.

Regards,

Reviewed March 12, 2015

I stayed at the Out of Bounds Hotel for three nights and found the room to be very clean with a comfortable bed, and a nicely appointed room. The place has a friendly, welcoming atmosphere due in large part to the hospitality of the manager of the hotel, Fernando. Fernando was very accommodating in making suggestions for restaurants, arranging taxi service and in general making you feel at home. The breakfast was adequate, but not as complete as the breakfasts offered at other hotels (in the same price range) I stayed at in Costa Rica during my two week stay. It's location provides beautiful views of the valley, Escazu and San Jose removed from some of the noise of the capital city. Because Out of Bounds is a small boutique hotel it seemed more casual and easier to met and talk with fellow guests. This fact and Fernando's outstanding hospitality made my stay pleasurable.

• Stayed: February 2015, traveled solo

Dear Richard,

Thank you for your feedback.

We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. At the same time, we are happy to have met your expectations in service and quality standards. Receiving such positive feedback from our residents motivates us to further improve our commitment to delivering good service. We noted your comments on the breakfast and we are happy our guests enjoy it everyday.

We're glad that you thought we have a great hotel. We think so too and we thank you for telling others about it as well. We hope to have an opportunity to be of service to you again very soon.

Thanks so much for your fabulous review.

Regards,

Reviewed March 11, 2015

I have stayed at Out of Bounds a few previous times when it was owned by a different owner.
Subsequently, I was a little concerned as to how my stay would go with a new owner. There I met the Manager, Fernando, a young gentleman who immediately relieved that anxiety of mine. He was so friendly, always willing to help with any request you made to him, would schedule group or private tours for you, called many cabs for me, and actually waited with me the one time that I ever took a bus in Costa Rica to ask the driver to assist me in getting off at the appropriate stop where I needed to depart the bus. He made an excellent impression upon me. The housekeeping staff keep the rooms clean. The beds are very comfy which allow for a good nights sleep. You can enjoy a HOT relaxing shower which is not available everywhere at smaller hotels or B & B's in Costa Rica. It is will lighted at night and safe. One is able to walk to a few nearby places including the Taj Mahal, a fine Indian cuisine restaurant directly across the street. I would not rate this as a luxury hotel. But you don't pay the kind of prices those hotels charge. Nor would you ever receive such personalized care in a luxury hotel there. I travel to Costa Rica and stay at this hotel as I enjoy staying at Out of Bounds and love the great dental care that I receive from Dr. Mario Garita, whose dental office is approximately only three minutes away via car/taxi. I have received dental care from all types of dental specialists in Florida, but Dr. Garita is the very best dentist/implantologist I have ever gone to! So having found Out of Bounds Hotel and Dr. Mario Garita has been a wonderful combined blessing.

Room Tip: If you like views, ask to get a room that overlooks the Central Valley at night with the most beautiful blinking view of lights and mountains. I would love to have such a view from my residence in the U.S.
  • Stayed: January 2015, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Elsie H

Dear Elsie,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We were happy to have you here and hope you will return again soon. The team here truly loves what they do and we are so appreciative of your business and for letting others know how your stay went. Thank you so much for your description about Out Of Bounds Hotel and for letting others know how your stay went. We appreciate both so very much.

Kinds regards,

Reviewed March 4, 2015

Costa Ricans rate high on the happiness scale and visitors who arrive with an open heart will get a head start on sharing the feeling at Out of Bounds. Fernando, the young owner and onsite manager, is from a Brazilian hotel family that obviously knows how to make its guests feel the love. The young women who cook, clean and transport are equally helpful and friendly.

As for the food, the coffee was good and the Tico breakfast filling, nutritious and tasty with the addition of condiments. A bit of chopped tomato or fruit brightened up the rice, eggs and beans considerably. Local markets and restaurants were near enough to dine out or provide take-out to enjoy on the terrace.

Although I had confirmed room 4 for the view, it was unavailable due to a water problem. The room below it was attractive, comfortable, quiet and clean and had its own deck chair and pleasant space for reading and listening to birdsong, as well as a less expansive view.

Cons are minor: The mirror above the sink was too high for me and the door mirror did not get affixed during the two days I was there; this would not have been a problem for an adult of average height, and starting my day with some knee-bends was probably a good thing. Fernando was promptly responsive to guests’ requests for additional lighting at the entrance. As in many humid areas, eliminating a musty cupboard odor needed special attention. There was some traffic noise but it did not keep me awake. The taxi fare from the airport was not $10 as some Trip Advisor reviewers stated, but $40; because my plane arrived during morning rush hour, it took nearly an hour to get through town, which gave me an opportunity to see some of the neighborhood I would otherwise have missed. My one disappointment was that all the guests were also from the U.S. rather than a broader mix; however, I made a Costa Rican friend at a San Jose museum and had a delightful homestay with a Tico family the following week in Monteverde.

I would stay at Out of Bounds again for the view, the good night’s sleep, the feeling of safety, the quiet to do some writing, and the fact that Fernando goes out of his way to befriend guests and help them with early arrival or departure, and transfers. He joined an evening confab on the upper terrace and all were chatting like old friends. Most of the guests were American dental tourists to Escazu clinics, with which they expressed satisfaction. A couple of young women used the hotel as a base for day trips to the beach, rainforest and volcano. Fernando gave me a map that was quite helpful in walking to the Apple store to pick up a charger for my phone, let me use his phone for a local call, and directed me to the bus stop for a safe ride into downtown San Jose to visit museums. He and his staff were attentive and helpful with arranging transportation to Monteverde as well.

An added benefit is the environmental consciousness reflected in the hotel policies, including automated lights that go off after a period a room has been unoccupied. This is in keeping with the eco-focus of this lovely country, whose motto is well chosen: Pura Vida!

• Stayed: February 2015, traveled solo
Hotel-Out-of-Bounds, Front Office Manager at Out of Bounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2015

Dear Mary,

Thank you for your 4 star rating! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and greatly appreciate your taking the time to share your experience with the world. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

All the best, Fernando

Reviewed March 4, 2015 via mobile

Enjoyed my stay very much. Walking distance to town, dental office, and grocery store. Staff very helpful. Free calls to U.S. was a bonus! Room was very nicely appointed and clean. Breakfast was good but small.

• Stayed: January 2015
1  Thank AllieKat1116
Hotel-Out-of-Bounds, Front Office Manager at Out of Bounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2015

Dear Alliekat,

Thank you for reflecting so positively on your stay with us! We are pleased to hear that you found the amenities classy, the rooms tasteful, and the free international calls service. We are also glad our location was good for you.

Your satisfaction is important to us and the feedback you have provided we have used to make improvements to the hotel. We always want to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future. Next time you are in Escazu, we hope you'll come back to us!

Regards, Fernando