“It's a fine hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Escazu
Granada, Nicaragua
“It's a fine hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

You are in San Jose yet at the same time you are away from the city and way above with a fantastic view of the city, the climate is perfect.
Built after the house in the Tara plantation style from the movie Gone with Wind (Clark Gable?) keeping the same huge proportions you do feel you are in a plantation in the the South of the USA with huge rooms to a corridor surrounding the house and so you can seat in comfy chairs all over with a view of the city (San Jose) or the Mountains.
The restaurant was excelent, I had a New York strip steak, very well cooked.
The SPA has the whole process for an algae sweat start with a strong massage, you fall sleep afterwards.
All in all, it's the best hotel in San Jose, nothing like the fast food type hotels you find nowadays and priced correctly.
Go for it!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Alessandra M
Front D, Director de Recepción at Grand Tara Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Hello dear Alessandr...

Thank you so much for your great feedback!, and yes we are in a good location in Escazu, our restaurant & clinic Spa is available for people who wants enjoy our service.

We hope to have you soon again.

Your Grand Tara team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sarasota, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Had reservations for 2 months prior to my honeymoon trip, when I got to the hotel, the gate was closed and security told me the hotel was closed. Nobody ever contacted me at all, had to go to some friends house and borrow their computer to find another hotel. Never in a lifetime would think that something like that will happen, the security guard told me to contact the owners at the Beacon hotel, couldn't find the place and didn't have a phone with me, so long story short, I should have read trip advisor before even try to go there.

Room Tip: Go to a ifferent hotel
Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jose_R34618

Travelers are raving about these Escazu hotels

Queens, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Great stay, service and location of the hotel is great. Food is outstanding and definitely something to try even if you don't plan on staying in this hotel. The view takes your breath away. This place is good for couples and business people, its quite and nice.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank EkaterinaPal
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

This will be my first time in Costa Rica and our first stop is San Jose - for a night. I decided why not spend it in a what appears to be a nice and peaceful hotel in order to prepare for our 2 week trek.
I tried to arrange a shuttle pick up from the airport which I assumed would be a pretty easy thing to do. Yet for some reason, that has basically taken almost a month to sort out. I emailed multiple times and followed up with a phone call and still...couldn't get them to send a confirmation that everything was all good and set to go.
With that said, I had no choice but to cancel my reservation. I simply couldn't trust this hotel if something as common and easy like an airport pick up was so difficult to do.
I should also note that once I emailed again to cancel my reservation, they proceeded to ensure me that they did email me about my airport pick up. That maybe there was something wrong with my email or maybe it went to my spam folder! I then checked my spam folder and as I figured...no such confirmation existed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank NewYorkClaudia
Santa Monica, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed here after getting into San Jose at 7:30PM and before heading to Manuel Antonio the following day. I made the mistake, and my wife let me know it, of not getting a GPS with the rental car but trusting my good old fashioned map. Not a good idea. I would recommend staying somehwere else if you're just looking for a quick layover. I would also only stay here for one night, because I couldn't see what much else you would want to do in the immediate area. I believe we were the only guest checked in to the hotel. The place has old colonial style charm and the rooms are quite large. We stayed in the Bill Clinton suite. (all rooms are an American Presidents name) We got in late and went to bed but had a free conitinental breakfast consisting of fruit, toast, coffee and juice, in which we sat out on the porch to enjoy the morning and the view of the city. I wish someone would come in a give this hotel back to life, because it is charming.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

I didn't stay here, but HIGHLY encourage you to eat at their restaurant. I went only for dinner on a clear night, and the views of San Jose were incredible. You could see every light in the city, and I could only imagine that on a clear morning you could see for miles across the mountain tops. The property has great amenities too that we toured(pool, golf putting green, casino, lounge) so there are great places to host an event here as well. From start to finish the wait staff were right there to assist with anything you needed for your meal. I HIGHLY recommend going here for any occasion.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Alexandra R, Revenue Manager at Grand Tara Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Hi MDC-BIZ!

Thank you so much for your great feedback!

We will be more than happy to welcome you again in our restaurant and would love to help you also with a room reservation when you decide to visit us again. Thus, you will have the opportunity to enjoy the great view over the central valley from your room as well. :-)

Be safe and we hope to welcome you soon again!
Your Grand Tara-Team
Tierra Verde, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

Having stayed at this establishment 5 times over the past 12 years, as before, we enjoyed the hotel and stayed in one of the out lying rooms which is our preference. The view is breathtaking overlooking the San Jose valley.The staff, especially (Sergio and Frederico) was excellent and met our every need. The spa experience was with Elana was excellent and made our experience that much better.

Room Tip: If you prefer a newer room away from the hotel, ask for room 316 or 317.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple