“Unprofessional”

The Market
Ranked #6 of 168 Restaurants in Escazu
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Always open, always delicious. Promising quality and affordability, The Market is open 24 hours for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late-night dining. You can build your own sandwich, pasta, pizza or gourmet burger. A large selection of salads, Carpaccio and ceviche is also available. The beautiful terrace overlooking our pool and gardens is perfect to enjoy it around the clock. The modern ambiance and lively exhibition kitchen are the perks of this new concept restaurant.
Escazu, Costa Rica
“Unprofessional”
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Have eaten here 3 times. Never again. The restaurant is bereft of management or quality service. We called to make a reservation for 4 on Sunday at 9;30 for 1:00.
No one answered the phone. I left a message and my phone number. No call back. Our party arrived on time only to be told we have no reservation. The hostesses came over to apolozoe and manager were clueless as to what to do. They asked us to wait and we did, There were many empty tables. After 40 minutes we were seated. We waited another 25 minutes to be recognize. The food only fair at best. 45inutes into our lunch a manager came over and said he found our message.
5 hours later.
Stay away unless you have all afternoon or evening to waste on a terribly managed restaurant

• Visited July 2013
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at The Market, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear Stuart S, thank you for your been a loyal customer, please accept my most sincere apologies for not honoring your reservation and the slowness in our service. We would like to see you back, reason why I would like if possible for you to contact our Director of Food & Beverage, Manuel Sierra (manuel.sierra@r-hr.com) in order to get more details about your experience. Thank you, Ramon

“great food poor service”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

First of all I really liked the menu here, you are allowed to build your own salad, burger, sandwich, wrap, etc. great variety, even kosher and vegetarian, which is what I loved the most.
Although the staff is really friendly they take forever to serve you food even the appetizers, so be ready to wait, all in all to me it was worth the wait if your not too hungry

• Visited July 2013
Dear Gabymonge, it is rewarding to know the variety of our menu is of your preference. I sincerely apologize for the delay on the service. Thank you, Ramon
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Time Management is a mega problem - an embarrassment”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have tried hundreds of restaurants in Costa Rica and there are some pretty poor examples but The Market is probably the best example of the worst service I've seen anywhere in the world. I actually bought an "executive pass" membership for use at this restaurant and I now wished I had not wasted my money and now time.

After probably at least 70 visits to this restaurant the only thing that has changed since it opened is that it is getting worse everyday. Considering the service was bad from the first day it opened it is hard to believe it continues to go down hill.

I'll give two examples of many, many, many - 1. This is supposed to be a 24 hour restuarant - I arrived at 11:45am to beat the lunch crowd. Only one othe guest was in the restaurant and we were seated promptly (this time). We told the hostess we would be eating from the Salad Bar and she left us alone and we proceeded to the salad bar only to be told it would not be ready for another 20 minutes. By the way, the only item missing from the "bar" was the salad dressings. OK, not much choice but to go back to our seats and order a couple of sandwiches. The waiter arrived and we asked for a salmon sandwich and we were told it would take "at least 20 minutes" and it might be better to wait for the salad bar. Was this waiter joking. There was one other customer in the place and we had to wait 20 minutes for a sandwich. At least we could of had the salad and someone could have easily offered to retrieve the basic salad dressing in probably a matter of one or two minutes.

Another recent event when my wife and I arrived for lunch at about 12:30pm we were sat relatively quickly only to be left alone for exactly 13 minutes before we finally told ourselves it was time to go. There had not been anyone to offer water, take our order or even give us a nod. There were also at least three senior hotel staff in the room including the hotel manager, the restuarant manager and a restaurant captain. In fact, this was the third time this happened recently and we have decided to "black list" this restaurant for the near future. Incredibly poor management at all levels. The Intercon hotel is supposed to represent one of the better locations in the country but it has become an embarrassment to take business associates, friends or family to this place.

Another time my wife and I waited for exactly one hour after we ordered our dishes before we finally told the waiter we were leaving. They continued to tell us the food was coming even as we were walking out after the one hour had expired. Incredible.

On the positive side - the food is generally pretty good. Stay away from anything that says "steak". The hamburger is an exception although when The Market first opened the hamburger was better than it is today.

I think they buy the meat from some local farmer. The toughness, the gristel, the cut are all very poor. Believe it or not there is only one good example of a quality meat restaurant in the San Jose area and it is most definitely not the Intercon restaurants.

The only meat dish I've had that is reasonable is in the Alfredo Italian restaurant with the Lomito. Don't try anything other meat item except the hamburger.

It is clear to me this place needs some serious management help. It is really difficult to believe that a sincle restaurant could be so poorly managed.

• Visited July 2013
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at The Market, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear DAKA_Yamia, we owe you many apologies for all the different opportunities you have encountered in the past. Please forward your contact info to our Director of Food & Beverage, Manuel Sierra (manuel.sierra@r-hr.com) in order to obtain further information that will definitely improve our service levels. Thank you, Ramon
Heredia, Heredia, Costa Rica
“Horrible service, make sure you bring a book”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Food is average nothing you can't find in a supermarket down the street. But the service is horrible on average you are going to be there 2+ hours. We actually saw 2 hole tables get up and leave.

• Visited June 2013
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at The Market, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear David H, it is disappointing not only to know that you had such bad experience but at the same time you witnessed other customers suffered the same. Please accept my apologies and rest assure we are taking your comments seriously. Thank you, Ramon
England
“great concept but needs senior management to intervene”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

when I first saw the plans for the Market it appeared to be a great concept, 24 hour food create what you want. Reality though does not meet expectations.

We were there on a Monday and Tuesday on our last visit, Mondays food was ok but pasta was so dry you could see through it. Tuesday the day of the big Costa Rica game and what a terrible experience, deep dish pizza came so burnt it was black, should really have known it wouldnt be good when you could hear the chefs watching the soccer rather than the food they were preparing. Waiter appologised and said he was also disappointed with the level of food presented but this should have been the chefs job, being open plan I could see the chef wasnt happy when I sent it back but he should never have let the food out of his kitchen like that.

Breakfast is normally quite good at the Market but this time certain things were missing, how can you not have bacon on a breakfast menu some days,

Waiter told us they had lost staff to a newly opened hotel and this was why staffing levels were poor but when we complained to a manager they werent interested. The outside space has a fly problem but no one seemed to be able to see them, we asked the waiter on the Monday if there were flys outide after seeing them at breakfast and he said there werent, once sat down we had to move in doors as it was so bad. Never seen this be for in all of our stays at the hotel.

needless to say we didnt have dinner at the Market again and probably will think about staying else where in furure,

• Visited June 2013
Dear eslick, I highly appreciate your extensive and detailed review of your experience in our Restaurant The Market; it is embarrassing that my staff prefers to pay more attention to a soccer game that to our valued and loyal customers like you who have been in the Hotel many times already. I will personally address these opportunities in order to improve the quality of our service. Thank you once again not only for this review but the previous one as well about the overall service at the Hotel, Ramon