“Magnificent views, but I would not go back.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Escazu
Hotel Mirador Pico Blanco
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Escazu
Park Ridge
“Magnificent views, but I would not go back.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2010

The views from this hotel are phenominal. It sits nearly at the top of Pico Blanco. However, when I made my reservation, I told them I needed a room on the first floor due to a handicap problem I have. When I checked in, I reconfirmed this and they said I only had to walk up one stair. Well, the meant one staircase, which I would not do. The gave me a room on the first floor that they were in the process of cleaning. While the room was basically clean, the furniture had holes in in, as did the bed covering. The rooms were not air conditioned and I had to ask for a fan. There was no cross breeze. I should have realized, but this hotel is up on a mountain in a rural area. So, all day long and most of the night, you hear roosters, cows and dogs.

They do not include breakfast, so you have to buy it, and, they have some pretty high charges compared to other places. They do offer free Internet, but it is only in the lobby area. The staff was certainly decent and helpful, but only a couple of them spoke limited English.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank bnj1225

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2010

I stayed here for one night, but it was one extremely memorable night in the clouds. Located at a high elevation you can see the whole valley. While I knew I was staying in Costa Rica, the hotel felt like a villa in Southern Europe. It was peaceful and very relaxed. My room had a great view, with both a living and dining area. There's a bar and restaurant, with a fireplace, a small stage area for events. And overall the service is spectacular. For the cost you are getting an extemely great deal. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rwseven80
Idaho Falls, ID
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2009

We've been to Costa Rica several times and we always return to Pico Blanco to begin and end our trip. We have become friends with the owners and enjoy the personal, professional service we receive. Getting there is an exciting adventure in itself. One really gets to see the workings of the country. The rooms are clean, spacious and "what a view"! The personnel are helpful - arranging trips, taxi (personal, friendly), rental car, insights into the area, etc.
We love Pico Blanco and the staff there!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank FunnerIdahoFalls_ID
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2009

Excellent place! Service is great, rooms are clean, great views, food is awesome, if you are staying in San Jose, stay at Pico Blanco the place to be, is located near to multiplaza mall, 5 min away, and 15 min from down town. They accept credit cards, the made my family feel at home, friendly staff, peaceful place, is just wonderful.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
5 Thank MarcPeterson
La Jolla, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2005

I was very happy with my stay. Yes, I paid cash, but they seemed to take credit cards when I was there (they just told me it was cheaper if I paid cash, so I did). The views from the rooms were so amazing for the price - a whole wall of my big room was a massive window. I slept with the curtains open both nights - beautiful views of the lights at night and of San Jose in the morning. Also, the bed space was great, if you have a family. (I was traveling alone so hardly needed a king size bed and two twins in my room, but it was $45, so I didn't mind a bit!) The bed and pillows were comfortable. I don't know if there was A/C - it was the green season, so the temperature was perfect. It is a budget travelers place. Don't expect luxury, but it is good quality for Costa Rica. I spent a month in Costa Rica and discovered "hot water" doesn't always mean piped-in, it often means with an electric showerhead that warms the water. At Pico Blanco, the water was piped-in warm. My room was clean. The restaurant served me a few great meals for reasonable prices. (I think I had spaghetti with meat sauce, salad, garlic bread, and a glass of wine for $8, of course, with an amazing view from the restaurant.)

My stomach was a bit funny while I was there, but it was often a bit funny in Costa Rica, so I don't blame the hotel restaurant. I do think it may have been the tap water, though, and the hotel should sell bottles of water that you can bring to your room since we Americans have sensitive stomachs. They did not sell bottled water, and being that they are nowhere near a convenience store, this is a hassle. (I also had stomach issues at a more expensive hotel in Escazu that said they had a special filtration system - I think the water during the rainy season is not filtered as well, even though it is generally fine in the San Jose area, or as I said, I just don't have a strong stomach.) This was all under control with the occasional Immodium or Pepto Bismol, just be sure you bring something with you in case you are like me!

The hotel arranged for a wonderful taxi driver named Jose (whose number I can't find right now) to take me around for a day. The hotel website did say they could set up tours and had a "tour desk", which they do not. However, they set me up with this driver who took me anywhere I wanted to go (he took me to Poas Volcano, and the La Paz Waterfall gardens) for $11/hour. (I think his rates vary if you have more than one person.) He was super nice, and I got to practice my Spanish (and he speaks some English too), and it was a much more unique experience than being on a tour bus, and ultimately was the same price. (Most half day tours are around $40-$50 and full days are often $80-$90.) He stopped whenever I wanted, took me on random errands to the convenience store and ATM, etc. He was wonderful.

My minor complaints: This hotel is far away from the towny area of Escazu. You are pretty far removed from everything, and you can't really walk to anything (the residential neighborhood it was in didn't seem super safe to me compared to other parts of San Jose/Escazu I visited). So plan on needing a taxi if you want to go out to dinner or anything. The hotel is sort of deserted, which makes it feel a little funny at times. (I was sometimes the only person in the restaurant, making me feel like I was in a haunted house or something. But it was the rainy season - I assume there are more people there in high season.) However, it is great if you just want a quiet place, to sit and do reading or writing or something. The room had cable tv with lots of channels, but they said they didn't have a working remote for my tv. Again, I didn't mind given the amazing view, hot water, and good price.

Overall, I was very happy with this. It was very relaxing, a great place to stay if you want to be near San Jose but not right in the middle of it, and if you're on a budget but not hostel traveling. If you want a more upscale place in Escazu, I highly recommend the Posada El Quixote Country Inn.

• Stayed July 2005
8 Thank lajollauser
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2004

Arrived March 8th for 3 nights. Informed on arrival they did not take credit cards, although they asked for it when I reserved the room. First night (and only night), there were no towels in my room. Guard takes me to adjacent room and grabs a towel off of the shower rack that was still damp from previous guest. Room was full of ants. I found a tray of old food under the bed. I left that night and went elsewhere. Came back next morning to retrieve dry cleaning that was never sent out. Forced to pay for one night in return for my clothes. An acquaintance from New England that stays there over the winter referred me, but I won't return there.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Escazu hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2004

The hotel with wonderful views. Great place to make friends. Clean rooms and a helpful and friendly staff. A fun place to stay but you may need help finding it. Would stay there again.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escazu
Hotel Linda Vista
Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu
Hotel Chalet Tirol
Hotel Chalet Tirol
#2 of 9 in Heredia

Been to Hotel Mirador Pico Blanco? Share your experiences!