“A striking hotel design in a quite part of the city”

Hotel Alta Las Palomas
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Escazu
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Like many others, this was our overnight stop at the beginning and end of a holiday to Costa Rica. At the end of a very long day's travel, it was great to be able to check in quickly and go to sleep in a clean and comfortable room. Even although somewhat fatigued by our flights, we couldn't help noticing the design of the hotel. From the outside it looks fairly modern, but which a nice organic shape, but inside it has the feel of a cross between a grand hacienda and a cathedral built by a slight eccentric. It is definitely not a dull, concrete box.

The staff are friendly and welcoming and the restaurant enjoys a high reputation. When we stayed we were somewhat surprised at the number of things on the menu that were - "not available". That is to be expected in some of the less easily accessible parts of Costa Rica, but not in the capital city surely? The most surprising thing was to be told at an early breakfast on a Friday that there was no bacon or sausage left - and the hotel was pretty quiet.

The small garden is very pleasant and quiet with a mixture of sunny and shady spots and a clean pool - although we didn't use it.

Our only other criticism would be that it would be good to have ceiling fans in the rooms. Air conditioning is not necessary, but a ceiling fan would have been great.

Despite that, as a pre or post flight stop, this is a good choice.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Alta Las Palomas

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed in Alta hotel 2 night: one upon arrival to Costa Rica, and the other - prior to the departure. It's an unusual place indeed: inside it feels like... a clean medieval castle. Strange but true.
Very nice staff. The dinner at the hotel restaurant was a bit expensive. The breakfast is included, consists of toasts, jam and fruits (+coffee and OJ). We asked for extra toasts and jam (simply excellent) - and got it both times (free, of course). It pays to be nice;)))
More items can be ordered form the menu, but you will have to pay extra. So, if you planned to consume a pound of bacon for free , or save on lunch, you will be sorely disappointed;)))

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed here for two nights with a group of 25 travellers. It is perched high up a hillside above San Jose, and is just a perfect to relax after a long flight. Would have loved another couple of nights.
It is built on several levels, the dining room, bar and pool on the lower level. Each room has its own secluded balcony/patio looking out over the pool and gardens. The decor is quite majestic, and architecture quirky, yet contemporary. Lots of little curvy nooks and windy corridors.
The beds are just so comfortable - the best pillows in Costa Rica.
The bar is friendly and well stocked, but a little expensive.
Sadly the breakfast let our stay down. Very little choice - we had to fill up on cakes, or go hungry. Very few of us stayed in for dinner, as it was very expensive. Such a pity, as the choice looked good.

Room Tip: All nice, but as it is on different levels, you would have to consider mobility difficulties.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Annecxt
Eugenia F, Manager at Hotel Alta Las Palomas, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

thank you very much for your lovely comments.

We’re very sad that you didn't take a dinner in our beautiful restaurant. I always talk to the group leader to offer a special price and menu for the groups, if you decide to return, please let me know personally so that I can make sure to offer a special price for you and your group.

saludos,

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed here twice, at the start and end of our tour of Costa Rica and it was one of six hotels we stayed in.

On our first night we had a huge room with a separate sitting area. We arrived at almost midnight and had to depart about 5.30 so didnt sample the food. The bed was very comfortable.

On our return at the end of our trip, we stayed in room 52 which had superb views. The bedroom was big with a hallway and large bathroom - 2 basins, 2 showers in the shower area and a jacuzzi bath. Unfortunately there was little hot water! I tried to run a bath but the hot water ran out very quickly so had to take a shower in cool water instead. I reported this at reception the next morning, the receptionist said it would be fixed but i felt we should have been offered a discount. No point having a huge bath and double showers with no hot water!!
We ate in the restaurant in the evening - the most expensive meal of our trip at $103. My husband enjoyed his steak, my pasta was ok but only had 3 shrimps. Starters were nice tho small ( i had 1 portobello mushroom).
Breakfast was disappointing and the worst one of our trip. Orange juice, coffee, a plate of fruit, white toast and jam (no choice of bread offered) and dry banana bread. No cooked breakfast offered. We asked for extra toast but none was forthcoming.
In conclusion, I'd say this hotel has some basic flaws that need addressing eg the hot water. It has a superb location on the hillside but the restaurant is rather pretentious, expensive and breakfast was poor.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Arrived for one night at end of 2 week tour of Costa Rica hoping to celebrate our golden wedding at a hotel claimed to have a top restaurant. As it was St Valentines Day, we were given no choice of menu in restaurant, the special fixed menu food was very disappointing (and expensive). No choice either at breakfast: cardboard orange juice (not freshly pressed) and flabby toast. Worst food we have experienced during our 2 week stay in 6 locations.

Bedroom ostentatious but no key available for minibar, no side table to bed ( was I supposed to put my things on the floor?) and safe not working. Reception staff showed little interest in customer needs but on the other hand, kindly let us stay beyond checkout time before going to airport.

We had hoped to do last minute shopping and have a massage...but neither possible within a reasonable walking distance. No information on services or fire safety in room.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Morose_2
Eugenia F, Gerente at Hotel Alta Las Palomas, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

We’re very sorry that your stay at the Alta did not meet your expectations. The night that you stayed was Valentine’s Day, as you mentioned, and like our New Year’s Eve dinner, the Valentine’s Day dinner was a fixed menu because of the occasion. We’re sorry you weren’t happy with the selection. Our chef, Angelo Venegas, has had years of experience at the Marriott in Costa Rica, as well as the Conde Nast approved Arenas del Mar Beach Resort in Manuel Antonio. We normally serve fresh homemade preserves with breakfast, and so will look into your experience there.

The Alta Hotel is located in a hillside view position near Escazu, and walking is not convenient, but most locations are within several minutes by taxi, as is the Multi Plaza Shopping Center. We do have providers for massages nearby to the hotel , and we’re sorry this was not brought to you attention.

The Alta Hotel was closed for three months and was completely remodeled and redecorated, opening December 13 of last year. We apologize for any shortcoming you may have experienced, but if you decide to return, please let me know personally so that I can make sure everything will be perfect.

Eugenia Fonseca
general manager

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed at the Alta over the weekend and was very very surprised. I loved it. Elegant, yet refreshing. The views were amazing, the design was superb, the staff was super helpful and the ambiance made me wish this were my home. I especially loved the lobby and the huge high ceiling hallway all they way to the Restaurant. Also, you would never imagine that this is a Hotel Restaurant, its decor is very cabin-ish, but to another level, very elegant. Too bad San Jose is a bit cold, if not I would've spent a lot more time in the pool area, especially the Guanacaste tree area, very nice touch to it. I could not stop imagining having a bottle of fine scotch and a good smoke with me there (Hotel is smoke free though, I guess it has its advantages). The room was very comfortable, a lot of space, nice tv, incredible views from the balcony and a nice touch by being able to sleep with you curtains open, very romantic if you're with someone. Pillows were the best ever, By far, better then most "chain hotel sleep package experience". I hope I get a reason to come back soon. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I recently had a lunch meeting at the Hotel Alta, and I am so happy this was the chosen location for our afternoon's work. As I drove in, I was immediately impressed by the kind and welcoming hotel staff who attended to little details like opening the door, verbally welcoming me, and escorting me to the restaurant. Those things count.

When you walk in, the first thing you'll notice is the gorgeous architecture (newly renovated) that suggests modernized castle – turrets and spiral staircases included! The restaurant is casually elegant and overlooks the pool. Waitstaff is very attentive, so you'll never find an empty glass or wayward fork on the table. My salad was excellent with seared tuna and pinenut dressing.

Next time, I'm booking a room and enjoying some free time in the mountains!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escazu
Courtyard San Jose Escazu
Residence Inn San Jose Escazu
Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose
Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu
Adventure Inn
Adventure Inn
#2 of 77 in San Jose
Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall

Been to Hotel Alta Las Palomas? Share your experiences!