“Nice hotel, nice area”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Nice hotel, nice area”
Reviewed August 21, 2007

We started and ended our trip to Costa Rica at this hotel. It is very nice and the bed was great. The pool is newly renovated and is terrific. The local area is upscale and much better than staying in the crappy downtown. The concierge was also great and helped us book day tours and gave good directions for driving to other areas of the country.

Based on the size of the country we had planned to stay longer at this hotel and do day trips to see the beaches and other tourist stuff, but we quickly realized that day trips from San Jose is a bad idea. So we left for a few days and spent nights at Arenal and Monteverde. Then we returned to this hotel for the night before our flight home.

Overall this is a great hotel and a nice place to start and end a vacation in Costa Rica, but not to stay at for the entire trip.

• Liked — The bed, the pool
  • Disliked — Charges for toll free phone calls
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank frank3355
Ricardo M, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, March 6, 2017
Dear frank3355,
Ricardo Menendez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed August 12, 2007

We did stay for the first time in 2007 one night 09 to 10 August Room 563 in this hotel and the changes which took place over the past year are great.

The Bar and Restaurants are New opened just a few weeks ago, the new Pool area is well planed and perfectly finished.

The F^B overall has improved by 360% and the Prices are well balanced.

The 5 fool still has the best service however is not much too expensive then other rooms in lower floors.

I understand they are building new rooms which at later stage will have an impact on the present comfort, but for sure this upgrade is needed.

Overall great Hotel, well trained staff and good value for money

• Liked — New Restaurants and Bar
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GlobetroterAmericas
Dear GlobetroterCostaRica,
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed June 18, 2007

I was here for a conference in early June of 2007. I traveled with a friend who was not part of the conference.

The good:
I was astounded by how pretty the architecture of the building was when we first walked in. If you stay here, you should look up when you enter the building and you'll see what I mean.
The staff spoke English very well. I guess that should be standard for a business hotel, but I really appreciated it. Especially at check out when I had a lot of special requests. This was also helpful when we decided to take a last minute trip to see the city of San Jose - the bellboys knew exactly where to tell us to go in English and were able to instruct our taxi driver for us.
Further on that note, I was able to call the main InterContinental number the day before my arrival in order to order a taxi for a very late-night arrival. The woman I spoke to was able to take my airline information, translate it to the taxi driver and then tell me all the information about how to find him afterwards. He was there and waiting for my guest and me; it was a very welcome sign after a delayed flight!
During our stay, we visited one of the hotel restaurants twice: Alfredo's. We had such a fantastic meal the first time, that we had to go back for seconds. It didn't disappoint the second time around. I also found the prices to be very inexpensive for a nice sit-down restaurant. I ordered a spagetti carbonara which was around $6 US with the exchange rate. We found that generally you will eat cheap all around San Jose, Costa Rica.
In the rooms, the cable TV was great. Surprisingly good selection of channels, many in English. HBO and Cinemax too. Also, the internet connection was surprisingly fast with the ethernet cable that was in the room. This cost extra - I paid for a full week which was around $40 US. They also let you just pay for a couple of hours, or a day. There is no free internet, unless it comes with your room.

The not-so-good:
Although the pool was supposed to be finished, it was never opened during our stay. It looks like it will be a beautiful pool eventually with nice cabanas and comfy chairs all around.
Water pressure was fairly terrible. I expect this in a hotel, but I don't understand why they use such a gigantic shower head when all they have is a trickle anyway. It took my guest and I quite a while to even get wet when either of us took a shower.
The breakfast was delicious, but I'm putting this in my not-so-good category because I didn't think it was worth $21 US for the buffet for one person.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel to any travelers beginning/ending their vacation in Costa Rica near the airport.

• Liked — The restaurants which had very inexpensive, high quality food
  • Disliked — The pool construction
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank erinwphilly
Dear erinwyher,
Minneapolis
Reviewed June 12, 2007

My friend and I stayed at the Intercontinental Real for 3 nights as part of a conference in early June. The hotel pool area was undergoing some renovation but other than that everything else was pretty standard. The hotel is your standard Intercontinental business hotel - generic, clean, room service, business center. It is located about 15 minutes outside of San Jose in an upscale suburb of Escazu. It is across the street from a shopping mall, movie theater complex and supermarket. I was not wowed in any way by the hotel. Prices were high for Costa Rica but in line for an upscale Western hotel chain. All in all a nice hotel for the business traveler, but nothing particularly special.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank sailorgirlmn
Dear sailorgirlmn,
Washington, Virginia
Reviewed June 4, 2007

I just came back from a trip to Costa Rica where I stayed at the Real Intercontinental. This is not my first stay at this hotel and I generally like it, but this time something happened which spoiled my stay. First let me say that the hotel facilities are fine, large rooms and the location of the hotel (although a bit far from the city center, about 45 minutes depending on traffic) is good mainly because of its proximity to the mall. However, on this particular trip, some money was stolen from my room (now, I travel quite a bit and this is actually the first time this happened to me). Clearly someone was looking for money, as it was stolen from a pouch which was in my suitcase, which was in the closed. It's not necessarily the fact that money was stolen that bothered me so much (although it did somewhat), but the way that the Management of the hotel responded. First it appears that the policy is not to reimburse guests when such a thing happens. So basically what I was told was" we are sorry this happened to you, but there is nothing we can do". What kind of message is this sending to their employees? Clearly they can steal anything from the room and nothing will happen to them (it is only the guests who are inconvenienced). Needless to say that I will not be staying there again and I would advise anyone who is considering it to hold on to their valuables.

• Liked — Room was okay.
  • Disliked — unfriendliness of the staff.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
7 Thank VirginiaMember
Dear VirginiaMember,
We are very sorry to hear about your experience at our hotel. This does not show are standards and our behavior when dealing with this type of issues. We are very sorry you did not get the intercontinental stay.
Kingsport, TN
Reviewed March 6, 2007

We stayed at the Real InterContinental for two nights in February, the first night on our arrival in San Jose and the second night on our return from a week in Santa Teresa. We found the hotel to be quite beautiful and comfortable. The hotel buffet breakfast was one of the best that I have every had. The hotel has just opened three specialty restaurants and we ate in one of them. The only complaint I would have was that the servings were enormous, but the food was good and the service was really outstanding. The staff were friendly and very helpful. Our room on each occasion was all you could ask for in a 5 star hotel - clean, comfortable, and convenient. The location is excellent - just across the street from a modern mall - and the hotel provides van service there. There is aso van service to the airport.

It is true the hotel is still undergoing renovations, but it is a great place to stay and will be even better when the renovations are complete.

• Liked — It's comfort and beauty
  • Disliked — Smoking in public areas
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
Dear PM Travel,
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed June 5, 2006

I really enjoyed my time at the hotel. The staff was very nice but there English was not that great. Just a note, they will charge you $10/night for each additional person over 1 person in the room. I got a really good rate so I didn't bother too much to argue. Make sure to double check before you book. Room was excellent and clean. Pool area is very pretty with a nice little garden and big pool. Tennis Court and fitness area is also quite nice. They also have a salon/spa but I didn't use the services. The hotel is currently renovating so by December 2006, they will have a sushi, steak, and other food. I was told by other guests that the food currently wasn't that great. I ate mostly across the street at the mall. The mall had all your typical American Fast food and 4 sit down restaurants. Other than the mall, there isn't much else to do in the area. I think this hotel is ideal if you are going to be in San Jose for 2-3 days. I booked tours using the Swiss Travel Service (offices in the lobby). The tours were fantastic and decently priced. They pick up and drop off at the hotel so no hassles. I would highly recommend the Poas Volcano/La Paz Waterfall tour and the Canopy Tour. The hotel also has a free hotel-airport shuttle which runs during peak flight hours so another perk. Overall, I enjoyed my time at the hotel and would recommend it.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank ddshah
Dear Dipesh,
Ricardo Menendez
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escazu
Sheraton San Jose Hotel
Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu
Residence Inn San Jose Escazu
Courtyard San Jose Escazu
Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen

Been to Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall? Share your experiences!