Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Escazu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 12, 2010

This was our first hotel in Costa Rica. The room was very clean. The grounds were very well kept and there was a nice swimming pool and area around it. The beds were very comfortable. This was about 25 mins away from the airport. It was right across a mall but otherwise you would have to take a taxi to get anywhere else.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank lzzc
JDussaud, Revenue Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2010

Thank you very much for your nice comments about our facilities. We will be glad to welcome you back soon in Costa Rica.

Reviewed May 3, 2010

Checked in an bought "Upsell Package" of breakfast and Internet for $29. Tried to connect laptop at 5:30. After two engineer visits and three calls to the helpdesk, was switched to another room at 9:00. Roy from maintenance was great, but the process was excruciating. They gave me free breakfast for my troubles.

Next day the key would not work. Got new key and got in. Went to gym (good gym) and could not get back into room with new key. Got another new key which would not work. Maintenance person could not enter either. Finally, manager came, apologized for the trouble and offered me an upgraded room in Club Tower, since they could not give me a key that worked. I replied that though he was gracious, only after five interactions/problems did anyone ask me if everything was OK (three internet complaints and two lock complaints). I accepted the new room.

Third day I took a nap late afternoon and was awakened by drilling in the next room. Turns out they were replacing the door on the adjacent room and had to drill the holes for knob and tongue from the solid door. My "upgrade" was next to an out of service room. I asked worker to stop, and he did... for five minutes. He resumed and I called and complained. He stopped for five minutes more and then resumed. I gave up and went to the gym, where my anger induced a really good workout.

Checked out the next morning and found they charged me for the room, even though I pre-paid on hotels.com, charged me for phone calls not made and $22 for two liters of Evan from the mini-bar.

Bottom line: things break and stuff happens, but a good hotel recovers well and makes it right, and with way too many opportunities to make thing right, this hotel failed miserably.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank miamicritic
JDussaud, Revenue Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2010

Thank you for bringing to our attention the difficulties you experienced during your stay with us. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences these incidents may have caused you.
We are taking the necessary measures to correct and prevent these issues from happening again. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, so that we may restore your confidence in the Real Intercontinental Costa Rica.

Reviewed April 27, 2010

We stayed in a suite in the tower building. We checked in the night we arrived in Costa Rica and again for another night before we leave Costa Rica. Check in at the tower section was prompt, friendly and effecient. Suite was spacious, well equipped and new looking. Molton Brown products were used in the bathrooms. The pool looked really nice but we did not have time to enjoy it. For your convenience, you can purchase your departure tax at check out and put it on your bill.

The hotel has good bones and it is possibly the best hotel in San Jose. However, we were let down on a number of occasions. On our first stay, a reminder call was needed for someone to help us with the bags. This was 5.30am when the hotel was not busy. I also feel the hotel lacks experience in some of the room service dishes when compared to other Interncon Hotels worldwide. My Rib Eye Steak approx $45 just came as a slap of meat on the plate with a separate potato mash on the side. No vegatables, no mustard or sauces provided. Later it took 7 phone calls (from 4pm to 9pm) for someone at the hotel to eventually deliver our laundry. Credits goes to the Tower's concierge girl who told me she would not go home until my laundry has been delivered. I feel she was also let down by her colleagues in other areas fo the hotel. On our last stay, we had to use the business center to send something, as there was no one attending the business center, I walked over to the person at instant service. She said she would call someone. So I waited..... and waited. I returned to instant service and she told me no one picked up her phone!!! She wasn't smart enough to get someone else to service me? What instant service is this??
In conclusion, this really is a five star hotel especially on the tower side. However, I feel some services were let down by a number of inexperienced staff on the main side of the hotel. This hotel has good bones and with improved services and better train staff, no doubt would this be one of the best.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jcjchung
JDussaud, Revenue Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2010

Thank you very much for your comments and for bringing to our attention the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We will be taking the necessary measure to prevent this from happening again. Please accept our most sincere apologies. We hope we can have another opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Reviewed April 25, 2010

One word...SERVICE. It's the only thing the Staff understands. We stayed in the Club Tower and was impressed from the moment we exited the Taxi. Easy check in with the concierge to escorted to the room by our bellman. The room was not just clean and fresh but beautifully appointed. Large screen HDTV, King size bed with a mattress that totally enveloped you in comfort. The bath was even more gorgeous, if that's possible, then the room itself. Deep soaking tub, large walk in shower all with marbled tile. IMPRESSIVE. We should have stayed here are first few days instead of booking in downtown San Jose.
Multiple restaurants to chose from with excellent food quality and superior service. The staff never stops offering a chance to service you in anyway. That covers the whole experience at the Intercontinental. We will be looking for more locations through out the world and plan vacations around their Hotels.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your compliments about our hotel. We are delighted to hear that our facilities and overall the quality of service were much appreciated. We are proud to be ambassador of InterContinental Hotels. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed April 25, 2010

There is no doubt this Intercontinental lives up to the expectation for the business traveler - very professional service, great rooms, very calm (unless you have obnoxious room neighbors!), very quick reaction on any request/complaint, great food at the breakfast and lunch bar, nice choices inside the complex from various dinner restaurants -the price is justified.
This was my second stay here at the Interconti Escazu - I did enjoy it!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business

We want to thank you for your nice comments about the hotel. We feel proud to have our guest’s genuine recognition. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed March 31, 2010

The club tower has great rooms, but I highly suggest you don't order any food from the Italian restaurant, especially the Pasta. It's extremely salty and not edible. They screwed up my order twice and the room service waiters do not understand any english. It was my last dinner in Costa Rica and it wasn't a memorable one :(

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank cartoonbucks
JDussaud, Revenue Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2010

Thank you very much for your comments and for bringing to our attention the inconvenience you experienced during your last dinner with us. We have taken the necessary measure to prevent this to happen again, please accept our most sincere apologies. We hope we can have another opportunity to serve you in the near future

Reviewed March 24, 2010

Many of the other reviews here make sense. It actually is a really nice hotel.. In fact there's not much to really complain about. Its really big... there are tons of amenities, and the staff is friendly and helpful. Most of the staff spoke English. I had the feeling though I was in big Atlantic City Hotel with no heart or soul. It really was like a very nice Sheraton.... and there's nothing wrong with that. The rooms were comfy and cozy. I don't recall issues with the bill like others mentioned. I also felt that this hotel was safe and secure and a safe haven in a city that is not the safest or friendliest in the world to Gringos.
My favorite part of the hotel were all the connecting pools, swim-up bar, gazebos, patios and a myriad of nice chaise lounges...
All in all a nice hotel... if youre on a business trip. I wouldn't come here for any romance.

Note- I am not a publicist nor am paid by a hotel/property or its PR firm to fabricate embellishing and fictitious reviews. When making travel decisions based on TA reviews, please take into account all reviews to form an intelligent decision to stay at a hotel.
If anything, give the least credibility to reviews by reviewers with 1 contribution, especially a contribution that gives a horrible review or a fantastic one, with little proof they actually visited the location cited.
Happy travels!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your nice comment about the hotel. We are delighted to hear that both our personal attitude and our facilities were much appreciated. We will be glad to welcome you back soon in Costa Rica!!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Escazu
Sheraton San Jose Hotel
Courtyard San Jose Escazu
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Barcelo San Jose
Barcelo San Jose
#12 of 78 in San Jose
Hotel Alta Las Palomas
Hotel Alta Las Palomas
#3 of 14 in Escazu
Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose

Been to Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall? Share your experiences!