“Always the center of attention!”

Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Escazu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We've stayed here on multiple occasions over the past few years and it's always been consistent - even when they were building the new wing and spa.

Like most, this is the very heart of San Jose and an oasis during our travels. The staff has always been great and service fantastic. Food is terrific as well - I suggest the ravioli at Alfredo's!

On this last visit, it was packed due to a concert nearby (didn't know Paul McCartney drew such a crowd). Despite the very lively folks milling around, service was excellent. I was even surprised that the though it's been two years, the staff remembered me!

I spend an awful lot of time in hotels - sometimes 6-9 months at a location. This has always been my 'Home' in San Jose and a place where my wife is always safe and comfortable. The location cannot be beat either - with the new highway in, it's our first and last stop before heading to the coast.

Room Tip: Stay in the club wing if possible as it is a bit quieter than the rest of the hotel due to the spa.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank David S
Ricardo M, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

Dear DMSterling, you are the real center of attention! We strive to provide the very best of service jointly with the greatest staff attitude on the most modern facilities, thank you as well for your additional review on the other website. Sincerely, Ricardo

Write a ReviewReviews (1,358)

Reviewed May 4, 2014

This hotel was absolutely awesome! We had a wonderful time. Nice pool & great hot tub. The buffet breakfast was the best!! The rooms are very nice also. The only thing that I would change is to get a pool waiter to service up some drinks!!!! Thanks, my friends and I had a great time!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Anne C, I do appreciate your honesty be advised we have already addressed the lack of service at the pool, we hope you are able to come back soon and enjoy our full service. Sincerely, Ricardo

Reviewed April 21, 2014

I would like to provide some positive information about this tour and recommend it to others. It was an awesome experience right from the start. We started off at the Real InterContinental in San Jose but stayed at 4 other hotels, Lomas Del Volcan, in Fortuna, the most beautiful place you ever want to stay. The Marriott Resort in Guanacaste, Hotel San Bada, Manuel Antonio National Park, then the last night at the Quality Hotel Real. All were excellent accommodations with very friendly staff and good food. We were 43 people on a luxury motor coach with ample space for everyone. The tour covers approximately 800 miles of Costa Rica from the City of San Jose to the volcanos, rain forests, coffee plantation, aerial tram, butterfly farm, hot springs, hanging bridges, turtle sanctuary, river cruise and beaches. I might have missed something but if you take this tour to see this country and experience their culture, you certainly will not miss anything or regret it.
We were so very fortunate to have the absolute best tour director, Clarence Taylor and the "super star" bus driver, Rorlando. (I hope I spelled his name correctly, if not I am truly sorry) I cannot give enough praise to these two people as they made the whole experience an awesome one that will always be cherished.
If you really want to see Costa Rica and not just go for a beach holiday, you should book this Caravan Tour! You might be lucky enough to get Clarence and Rorlando!

Room Tip: I understand that all our rooms were previously assigned by the hotels, however, if you had some spe...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Dear WendySimard, we are proud we were the beginning of your awesome experience. We look forward to welcome you once again, Ricardo

Reviewed April 20, 2014

My wife and I just spent four days here and it wasn't love at first sight, more on that later. The location, setting and room appointments were all above our expectations. We stayed in the tower portion of the hotel facing southwest. The view of the mountains was great and cheaper than the rooms overlooking the pool. Our room was spacious, clean and light with many pleasing objects of art. The tower rooms includes a breakfast buffet and happy hour from six to eight P.M., alcohol and tapas are gratis.
The breakfast buffet was one of the best of any hotel we have experienced, although the happy hour tapas were a hit and miss. The service was always attentive and friendly. We dined in two of the restaurants and I must say that the hot queso de cabra ensalada was the best Ive ever eaten and my New York strip was the best steak Ive had in Costa Rica. Again, the service was exceptional.
Now for the negatives. Our reservations were a total disaster. My wife made the reservations for three days, but later decided to add a fourth day. When she called the hotel she learned that our reservations had been cancelled for some unknown reason. At any rate she finally managed to get that corrected, but it took most of an entire day. Another negative was that the pool was loaded with guests and there was only one attendant to service all which made it almost impossible to order food and drink. The hotel certainly missed out on revenue because of that.
That being said, we always try to be objective in evaluating our hotel experiences, in other we look at the big picture. The reservation foul up and the lack of pool staff was annoying, but the positive aspects of our stay far outweighed the other.
Will We stay here when we return to San Jose/Escazu? You bet!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard A

Dear Richard A, your objectiveness and constructive feedback is highly appreciated, rest assure we already working on the points for improvement. Sincerely, Ricardo

Reviewed April 19, 2014

Located in a suburban office-shopping mall complex, the hotel is a comfortable retreat in a busy region. The suite was large, with an interesting bath arrangement, and best of all had an outdoor pool/hot tub on the balcony with a view over San Jose and the mountains – very welcome in the cool evenings. Staff were enthusiastic and very helpful, accommodating every request. Representatives from a tour company and from Avis were on-site at check-in and were instrumental in arranging excursions, including an outstanding private zip-line tour from Rainforest Adventures Atlantic (thank you for your instruction and patience, gentlemen). Breakfast in the club room provided varied buffet selections, and happy hour treats and drinks were excellent.
Why only four stars for the rating? A wedding in their event outbuilding started around 10pm and lasted into the small hours, with the thumping bass from the band rattling the windows of our 7th floor accommodation along with the rest of the hotel. A complaint to management, which undoubtably was one of many, was disregarded.
In summary – stay here by all means if you need to be in the San Jose region, but book a room that does not face the event outbuilding.

Room Tip: Club access, away from event building, with pool
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ralff

Dear Ralff, there is no better joy that receiving compliments about our staff, we truly understand your feedback about the disturbance by the late event. Sincerely, Ricardo

Reviewed April 17, 2014

What a wonderful hotel to stay at during our tour through Costa Rica!! A real treat! Clean, beautiful, great service, etc. The executive lounge was well worth it!! Excellent displays of food at breakfast, afternoon and evening snacks!! Gustavo Hernandez in the lounge was a real delight in always making sure we were comfortable and had everything we wanted! He made our time there feel very special! The hotel has a wonderful market/mall right across the street, in case you need to pick up anything for your travels! You will not be disappointed with your stay here! It was an added pleasure during our tour!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 80Countries

Dear 80Countries, thank you for choosing us within your Tour, we are glad you enjoyed the facilities and services at the Club Lounge. Best regards, Ricardo

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Restaurant service was abominable. I e-mailed Intercontinental and old them I had booked Yokohama and Tokyo for September and October and the response I got was they would chastise the restaurant in Tokyo and give me 5000 points. Not only was customer service stupid, but they didn't read my compliant. I tried to get my complaint on their web site, but they said it didn't meet their standards and therefore they weren't posting it. Eight people had lunch in their restaurant and seven of the eight got their food after an hour after ordering. Mine did not come. I was told 5 minutes. After 20 minutes, I spoke to the head of the restaurant and he said it was on its way. Fifteen minutes later, I got my individual pizza with raw meat on top of it. I finally gave up and my meal was taken off the bill. We all had a problem with our keys and had to had them redone every day of the three days we were there. There are also many little things too numerous to mention
P.S. I am also a licensed travel agent and can't believe the treatment I received.

Les Moskowitz

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Ricardo M, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Lester M, your comments really concerns me specially as your experience is not echo of our high service standards. Please contact our Director of Rooms, Ernesto Carrero (ernesto.carrero@r-hr.com) in order to share more details about the challenges you faced in our facilities. Sincerely, Ricardo Menendez

Also consider these accommodations in or near Escazu
Hotel Alta Las Palomas
Hotel Alta Las Palomas
#3 of 13 in Escazu
Sheraton San Jose Hotel
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Barcelo San Jose
Barcelo San Jose
#11 of 78 in San Jose
Courtyard by Marriott San Jose Escazu
Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu

Been to Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall? Share your experiences!