Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott San Jose Escazu(San Rafael de Escazu)
View Hotel
Holiday Inn San Jose-Escazu(San Rafael de Escazu)
View Hotel
Apartotel & Suites Villas del Rio(San Rafael de Escazu)
1,424 results
All reviewsclub towercaravan tourcosta ricasan josesushipool areabeautiful hotellobby barfood courtmultiplaza mallbreakfast buffetgrocery storebusiness tripalfredofree internetbusiness centercentral america
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for the first two days of a Caravan tour. When we arrived, I informed the concierge that I was an IHG Rewards member but did not have my membership number with me. He immediately looked it up and we were given a room on a floor for rewards members and free wifi access. The room was immaculate and very comfortable complete with terry robes.

The lobby is beautiful. Although seating is used by the bar, there was no pressure to order drinks. There is a piano player from late afternoon through the early evening.

As we were with a tour, dinner was buffet style. My husband has many dietary restrictions and the maître de was most attentive to his needs both nights and provided food for him other than what was at the buffet. Breakfast choices was great including made to order omelets.

The gym was beautiful. I wish I had more time to use the spa services.

About an hour before sunset, parrots flock to just outside the entrance to the main lobby. Don't miss it.

My only complaint would be related to the pool area. The area was very nice but the hot tub was barely warm and for the hour I was outside, the towel shelves had no towels.

This is a wonderful hotel that I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Ricardo M, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Yvette26, thank you for been part of IHG Rewards Club, I am glad our Concierge was able to assist as well our Restaurant Captain. Reviews like yours commits our Team to be greater every day. Thank you, Ricardo M.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm not a native English speaker but I wanted to let you know about my experience in this hotel, so you won't face the same issues. Costa Rica is a very beautiful country to visit, but you need to be careful with the hotel you choose to stay because there are hotels like the Real Intercontinental in Costa Rica than don't care about people at all but money.

This hotel is very expensive and the service is REALLY poor, the staff does not care at all about the visitors and when you have problems -I'm sure you will have a lot of problems in this hotel- then you will find that the managers don't really care about your problems and their answer is always "I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do to help you".

I'm a costarrican citizen and trust me, you don't want to stay in this hotel. It's very noisy, disinterested staff, bad service, you need to wait until 45 minutes to get your order in its restaurants. My car has a damaged in this place, I get trapped in the elevator, the parking lot is full most of the time -which is a big problem and very dangerous-, the food is terrible and very expensive.

Believe me there are prenty of good hotel in CR and San Jose to stay... you don't have to accept this service and spend your money in a hotel that do not treat nicely the visitors.

I was not a visitor olny but, I was a member of the spa, I paid for a membership, so I was in the hotel every week -if not every day-, and I experienced a lot of problems. I have traveled a lot in Costa Rica and out of Costa Rica and I can tell you that this is the worse hotel by far where I have ever been. I told several times with different manager and I never get a good answer about my problems in the hotel and they never fix them.

PLEASE LOOK for a better hotel, there are a lot of good hotels in SAN JOSE, don't waste your time and money in this hotel. WELCOME TO COSTA RICA and ENJOY YOUR VISIT!

Room Tip: Look for another hotel.. this hotel is terrible. I good hotel rate would be $100+
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Johan S
Ricardo M, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear Johan S., your comments are really concerning, I kindly ask you to please reach out or Director of Rooms, Ernesto Carrero (ernesto.carrero@r-hr.com) in order to go over your different opportunities with further details. Sincerely, Ricardo Menendez

Reviewed March 10, 2014

This is the third tour that my wife and I have taken but the first with Caravan. We had some very good feedback about this Caravan Tour from our friends who have traveled extensively. Caravan has the details of this tour "down to a science". Everything about the tour exceeded my expectations! Everything from the handy booklet that gives you very practical information to the excellent choice of hotels for the areas of the country in which we toured. The Real InterContinental in San Jose and the Marriott Resort are outstanding! Hotel Magic Mountain had a great view of Arenal Volcano and a great swim up bar. Hotel San Bada was also very nice and offered the best view of a Costa Rican Sunset that I have witnessed! We were on this tour to see the country and experience their culture. This was a great way to meet that objective.The bus was very comfortable and the driver Outstanding!

For me, what set this tour apart from other tours that I have taken was the "Personal Touch" that our Tour Director (Lauren Guzman) showed with actions that I have not seen on other tours. Examples are: flowers for ladies celebrating birthdays, Birthday cake for one person on our tour at dinner, providing open bar for a period of time at two great hotels with our tour group. These were very special (and unexpected) for me and I am sure the others on this tour. These types of actions leave a "lasting impression" on everyone that helps put this tour "over the top"! These are the actions that we hope all managers have with their employees. It was refreshing to see this with our Tour Director. Lauren also gave us some very good advice and put things on a personal level versus what you could read in magazines, the World Wide Web, etc.

The Value for the money on this Caravan Tour of Costa Rica can't be beaten!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a great view (volcano, beach, etc. )
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jim P

Dear Jim P, it is rewarding to know that thanks to Lauren's profesionalism we were able to participate on such great experience. Best regards, Ricardo M.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stayed at the Intercontinental for business trip in February and was very happy with the choice.
The hotel is not centrally located in "downtown" San Jose however it is in a very nice area across from a large shopping center that has a few nice outdoor restaurants.
The hotel itself is very great, with nice sized rooms, several restaurants and a huge pool (although I did hear there were some complaints about the temp). Free breakfast is a great way to start the day with delicious meal.
The grounds are very nice and most importantly, the entire staff couldn't be nicer and more gracious about helping with any request.
Booked a river, canopy tour combo through concierge who was also very nice. The trip itself was good overall but way too long and most of it is in the van driving to pick people up and drop them off. We were supposed to arrive back to hotel around 5 and didn't get back until after 8. Would have wanted to know this upfront since we had early day of work next day. The tour driver had us write on comment cards bc apparently even they feel that the tour could be better managed so hopefully this will change.
In any case, the Intercontinental was a great choice and highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing pool
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear map1977, please accept our most sincere appreciation for the subject of your review, we understand there are many options in the market. We look forward to welcome you back but next time on vacations. Best regards, Ricardo M.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

We stayed here on our first two nights as part of a Caravan Land tour. The interior of this hotel is beautiful and they always seem to have live music in the lobby/bar area. There were just little things that gave a hint that this was San Jose, Costa Rica. The grout in the tub/shower was coming loose with each shower. No one in our group of 34 had a room phone that actually worked, so we had to walk to each other's rooms to tell them something.

The beds were very comfortable. Tons of decorative pillows had to be moved before jumping in. The room was extremely nice. Had a minibar, but no refrigerator. Was across the street (there was an elevated pedestrian crosswalk a block down) from a HUGE multilevel mall. One of the nearest stores was a grocery store, so if you forgot anything, there it was.

In the hotel, The Market was an excellent restaurant. Their hamburgers were wonderful and their breakfasts were very expansive. They had exquisite desserts.

At dusk, on the pedestrian overpass, you can experience the flying in of hundreds or maybe thousands of red-crowned green parrots. They just drown out the sound of the traffic. It's an amazing sight. They flock to all the trees and socialize. Wonderful.

Room Tip: Higher than the second floor, if you want to see more than the tops of palms. Maybe the 4th floor would do it. I think the hotel only has 5 floors.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Dear retiredJB, aren't those parrotts adorable? I am glad you had the time to enjoy our dinning options at the hotel and have such comfortable sleep in our guestrooms. We did forward your comments to our Maintanance Department in order to check all guestrooms that were within this Caravan Tour. Sincerely, Ricardo M.