Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall
Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu(Escazu)(Great Value!)
$84
$99
Out of Bounds Hotel(Escazu)(Great Value!)
$65
$51
Apartotel Don Francisco(Escazu)(Great Value!)
$63
$61
Posada El Quijote(Escazu)(Great Value!)
$76
$161
Cancelon
1,436 results
All reviewsclub towercaravan tourcosta ricasan josesushipool areabeautiful hotellobby barfood courtmultiplaza mallbreakfast buffetgrocery storebusiness tripalfredofree internetbusiness centercentral america
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Pros: nice spacious and clean rooms: decent although not spectacular breakfast: nice lobby area and bar; attractive pool; small but relaxing and nicely presented spa; fantastic beauty salon and hairdresser on site

Cons: service is very poor and slow particularly in the main restaurant, food quality is only ok in the various restaurants and is very expensive, front desk staff are particularly poor - I had major problems getting a correct bill that actually reflected what I had consumed in the restaurant and mini bar; area around the hotel is soulless (but then again so is much of San Jose). Just far far too little attention to detail for what is supposed to be a five star hotel and charges high prices both for room rates and for food and drink.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Ricardo M, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear IrlandesenMexico, it highly concerns me your comments about our service leves, rest assure we will look into it. Thank you for detailed review, Ricardo

Reviewed February 25, 2014

When I arrived at the Real InterContinental, I was optimistic about my stay there. That soon passed. Besides the fact that it is not really located in San Jose and that there is substantial, noisy construction most of the day, the staff was completely hopeless and seemingly disinterested.

I spoke with the concierge the day before I flew in and he seemed very helpful. He was not. I had asked him to book me a day excursion and was sent an email that the concierge told me was my "confirmation". When I woke up the next morning at 5 a.m. to go on my excursion, I found that there was never any reservation made. To top it off, all comparable excursions were completely booked. Essentially, they ruined a full day of a 4 day/5 night trip.

When I asked the hotel manager what happened he proceeded to say that it was not the concierge's fault, but another employee's fault... only for that employee to put the blame on another employee, and finally the blame was passed to someone who both didn't speak any English and didn't seem to care. Nevertheless the manager accepted that his staff was to blame.

My girlfriend was extremely upset, as was I, so I suggested to the manager that they might provide us with complimentary spa treatment or a dinner at the hotel bar. The manager promised that they had "something very nice" that they would send up to our room and also promised that they would get us a discounted excursion for another time. 8 hours later there was a knock on our door. It was a bellhop holding a piece of paper and small box. The "something very nice" was a small box of 4 chocolates and the paper was another confirmation to a FULLY PRICED excursion. I was baffled. I went downstairs and asked the manager if this was all he could do when his staff was admittedly at fault. He then offered me $10 off at their spa. I could not believe he could be so clueless, but maybe he had already stopped caring. What a joke... but it gets better.

I needed a rental car to get to my next hotel the next day. The manager told me to come back to their car rental desk later in the evening (because there was a line) and that they would be able to assist us. The could not. Not only did they run out of cars later that day, but every single car rental service that we called was also sold out. Why would you tell me to just come back when it was clearly busy? Of course, I regret listening to him... So I did not have a way to get to my next hotel in the rainforest. The manager tried to call our next hotel to arrange for a pickup, but told me he did not know if it would be possible. At the same time, my girlfriend (not even a spanish speaker) called the same hotel and arranged for a pick up minutes later. How could such a simple task be so difficult for hospitality professionals?

I was relieved when we finally left this hotel. It felt completely uncultured and unauthentic to Costa Rica. It is flanked by a huge mall and American chain restaurants like Applebee's. The food at the hotel was the worst I had on my trip, everything was relatively expensive, and my television only worked occasionally (SURPRISE: the person the hotel sent to fix the tv couldn't get it to work). All and all, my stay there was a disaster. I was truly shocked that it was so difficult for them to perform such simple tasks, that they sat on their hands when they could have made good on some of their faults, and that they largely treated me like a lost cause, putting forth no effort into salvaging my stay with them.

Luckily, the next hotel I saved in knew what they were doing.

I recommend you stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Michael A
Ricardo M, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Dear Michael A., please accept my most sincere apologies for the breakdowns in service you experienced during your stay, I kindly ask you to contact our Director of Rooms, Ernesto Carrero (ernesto.carrero@r-hr.com) in order to review your comments. Thank you, Ricardo Menendez

Reviewed February 23, 2014

I stayed here as part of tour. Unfortunately I injured my knee and couldn't continue with tour and travel insurance took care of medical treatment and getting me home. The staff....and that's each and every desk, bellman, waiter person cleaning person were outstanding. Obviously good people well trained. All facilities....lobby,pools,restaurants are beautiful.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank USAlady39588

Dear USAlady39588, I am sorry to hear about your injury, it is rewarding to know our staff was able to spoil you while you recover in our property. I hope you are doing much better. Regards, Ricardo

Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

This is a modern hotel, that has two towers: a club tower with access to a club floor and a tower with regular amenities. The property is located 15 minutes from the regional airport, so it's fairly convenient. The International airport is not that far away. There is an upscale mall across the street with several US chains like North Face. Again, it's not Fashion Island, but, this is Central America. The hotel has five decent restaurants, I found the sushi place average, but, not horrible, the steak place was better; but, the prices are not discounted. The ingredient quality was good; there is even a kosher selection. The rooms are spacious and the bed comfortable. Unlike other reviewers, I did not experience quality control issues in the room. I would suggest a Club Room administrator of some kind to answer questions, as is common practice in other hotels.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Ygray, I really appreciate your suggestion regarding a Club Room Administrator, thank you for your review. Sincerely, Ricardo

Reviewed February 21, 2014

I enjoyed my stay here, especially after staying at Intercontinental in Panama the week before which I did not enjoy so well. The service is excellent and the cleaning crew is just great. The breakfast was wonderful too - I would come here just for that. The view from my room was nothing to write home about (a roof), but the room itself was very comfortable. The location is Ok I guess - I am not sure what it is in relation to anything in the city as we were cabbing everywhere. My only two gripes are 1. I saw a cockroach in my room right as I was leaving the room to check out and 2. the staff only helps you get a hotel taxi which charges you much more than a street cab.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Ruchei
Ricardo M, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Dear Ruchei, please accept my most sincere apologies for the last impression you had from our rooms, also be advised we promote the use of the hotel taxis for your safety and convenience to avoid possible fraud from street taxis in San Jose. We look forward to welcome you back anytime at The Market our 24/7 restaurant. Best regards, Ricardo