“Good choice for business stay”

Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Escazu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Long Island, NY
“Good choice for business stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

I stayed here two nights on a business trip to Escazu, just outside of San Jose. This hotel makes a great first impression, which continues all the way into the room. Everything was clean and worked well. Maybe it's silly but I appreciate a good shower, especially after a long day of flights and work - this room delivered.

I only had the chance to sample the Market restaurant for breakfast, and the buffet was outstanding. Gym was pretty big for any hotel, and decently equipped. The Multiplaza shopping center across the street has got to be the nicest mall in Costa Rica, rivaling American malls in size and type of stores.

The only issue at all is around billing - my final printed bill does not match what was charged to my card. The charges are still setting so we'll see how that shakes out.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Jonathan C, thank you for your quick visit and positive review, next time you should try our 3 other restaturants. Please contact our Front Office Manager, Gilberto Gondola (gilberto.gondola@r-hr.com) for further assistance with your billing. Happy Holidays! Ramon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

Flew from Boston to San Jose via Miami. Long flight and tired. It was great to stay in this nice hotel with good service and food. They have 4 nice places to eat right off the lobby and a shopping mall across the street. I plan to return to CR and will stay here for the first night.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Dean W, great idea getting away from coldly New England and choosing our property as your destination in Costa Rica, we are glad that our service and product made you decide already your next visit. Happy Holidays, Ramon
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

I spent two nights in this hotel. It took us about 35 minutes to arrive from the airport, with traffic, and it's just outside the San Jose city limits.

In my opinion, it was a first class hotel. The rooms were spacious and spotless. The staff went out of their way not only to make us happy but to learn and know our names. There were several restaurants from which to choose (American Flare, Asian-Fusion, Italian) and there was a trendy bar. I passed the spa, to use the fitness center, and I saw everything from women having their nails manicured to men getting haircuts. The fitness center was very impressive
with five treadmills, a few elipticals, free weights and several different weight machines. The pool area was very nice and large, too.

FYI, there was a safe and blowdryer in the room. I saw an ironing board but I didn't see an iron (I'm sure it was where in the closet). In case you are in the room for awhile, there are lots of American channels. There's a shopping mall across the street, too, in case you forgot something at home. You can also change American money at the hotel desk and the interest rates are actually reasonable.

My only problem was that the hotel didn't have free WIFI. I would think that a hotel of this calibur should have it as a complimentary perk for their guests.

This was my very first stay at any InterContinental Hotel. Based on my experience at this hotel, I would certainly stayat one again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank citygalSTL
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear citygalSTL, we are thrilled to know that we created such great impression about our Hotel on your first visit, be advised that effective January 1st we will offer Complementary Internet Access to all our IHG Rewards members as part of our loyalty program benefits. We look forward to welcome you back, Ramon
Panama city, Panama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

The impression has improved over time. I've stayed here a few times now. They have have a really nice pool facility and a great gym. Is really well placed in terms of location. I've been lucky enough to be ungraded so the quality of the rooms has been really nice.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bill C
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Dear Bill C, we receive with great comfort that you have been able to experience how we have improved over the years. Thank you for your loyalty and feedback. Ramon
Sao Paulo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

Escazu was not the best location for someone who had to commute every day to the Free Zone, in Heredia. However it was a pay off because this is a beautiful hotel, it has very good restaurants that you can go thru the lobby, a decent gym, and a beautiful outdoor pool.
My room was really nice, as InterContinental always delivers on this regards. Nice shower, good selection of channels on tv, the radio is ok, a killer ar conditioning (quiet).
The staff at the lobby is not very nice or helpful though. Sometimes the key doesn't work on the elevators, requires some patience, but after a long day of work, it can be a pain. Staff does not seem to care though.
Room service line took a while to answer my call, actually it did not answer but they called me back after a few minutes.
They are working on the facade of the hotel, it really does not bother, and the hotel warns you about it, asking kindly to close the drapes for your own privacy during certain times of the day.
At night it can get really busy because they host quite a few events (sometimes big ones). It can be annoying, a hassle indeed to even get in to parking lot. Depending on what you're looking for can also be interesting.
Very close to the mall, with some nice restaurants and bars around as well. Escazu is a nice neighorhood.
Free internet.
Breakfast included.
I would stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear gingerlipstick, it is truly our pleasure to have host you during your business trip, we really appreciate your commute we understand there are many options in San Jose still you were loyal to our location. We will definitely look into your specific comments regarding our service to avoid further recurrence. Thank you, Ramon
Jackson, Wyoming
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

Make sure that you meet Oscar at the lobby bar. He makes you feel at home and in competent hands. Hotel otherwise very accommodating to business travelers, free and decent Wifi throughout the hotel. Although I have been there several times before I am not part of IHG. However in no way did I feel deprived. Decent gym, full spa, lots of food choices. Spent a long week working hard while I was there and would return to hotel with my good friend and colleague and we were completely fried. We would collapse into big comfy lounge chairs in lobby bar and let Oscar help us navigate menus from all of the hotels restaurants, all of which can be ordered in the lobby bar. Then usually he would make a recommendation for a wonderful and unique cocktail which he clearly took great pleasure in mixing for us.In no time at all, we were delightfully relaxed and dining on some different and unique cuisine. A really enjoyable experience that I highly recommend.
Susan B.

1 Thank Susan B
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Susan B, I even feel envious of such great experience, rest assure I will pass your compliments to Oscar. Make sure next time you become an IHG Rewards member and start enjoying the benefits of our worldwide renowned program. Thank you, Ramon
Mannheim, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

The hotel is just under a big reconstruction phase which is highly needed due to the Sheraton in the direct neighborhood. The hotel is in a good are with some shopping directly in front of it. To downtown is quite a bit but taxis are easy to catch. Always use the red once and insist on it - even if the hotel wanna give you another one. The hotel once are a rip off. I would prefer a room in the higher floors with a pool view.
One negative - avoid room service!!! Not to recommend.

Room Tip: Higher floor with pool view.