“Nice Hotel--WATCH THE OVERCHARGES & BILLING”

Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Escazu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 17, 2008

I found a great deal for this 4 Star hotel on priceline.com, and I couldn't resist. Overall, compound and rooms are great. However, they charge you for everything, so please make sure to ask if there are any surcharges prior to using anything. Also, PLEASE MAKE SURE TO KEEP YOUR CHECK OUT SHEET SHOWING YOU PAID EVERYTHING OFF. My credit card was overcharged $105 USD for "transportation." There is no 800 number to call and it took me SIX EXPENSIVE calls to the hotel, an email, a letter faxed and finally, a credit card charge dispute before I was credited.

From reading others reviews, I think the accidental overcharges aren't so accidental. Truth is, about 85% of the hotel's visitors were there on business not pleasure. So I'm thinking, they get away with these charges pretty often since people on business charge up a lot and aren't as detailed in reviewing it. A $100 charge can easily go unnoticed!

Also, another point mentioned by a reviewer, this hotel is out of the way. It's in the business district which is about 15 min outside of the San Jose capital. I would recommend TOURISTS to stay on the coast versus in the capital, which is inland. We had to take a CHARTER PLANE to the coast to get some beach time. We ended up wishing we just booked on the Coast.

I'd recommend Manuel Antonio or Tamarindo if you're looking to do Costa Rica! Right on the water, great hotels and great restaurants. Make sure to try the ziplining as well.

Also make sure to steer clear of GREEN season (May-November), because it rains a lot and the weather is quite tempermental.

Stayed: May 2008
2  Thank priceline
Ricardo M, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2017

Dear priceline,

Reviewed April 21, 2008

We stayed there for a week. It is not cheap. At the check out I asked for the bill and they said we will mail you. They OVER CHARGED US $125.00 for the Minibar we did not use. I called them, send them e mail . NO RESPONSE. If yo do decide to stay make sure you get the detailed daily bill before you leave.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank minfr121

Dear minfr21,

Reviewed January 29, 2008

I recently stayed again in this Hotel and have to admit the improvements in place today make all the difference. In general the Quality Product did increase very well, Guest Services are better then ever before and the 3 new Restaurant Outlets are well worth the price.

The Presidential Suite worth the price is very nice, offers all you would expect and the daily Food and Beverage Service provided on the Executive floor is of very good Quality. Overall the service attitude toward Guest is of high standard and Employees do try to remember your name and address you with such at all times.

I congratulate the Management and Employees for a job well done.

The new Swimming Pool area is simply beautiful and makes perfect blend of integration in the overall concept, as soon as the New Guest Room construction is done, the Intercontinental San Jose will be one of the finest hotels on the Market.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GlobetroterAmericas

Dear GlobetroterCostaRica,

Reviewed January 10, 2008

When travelling to Costa Rica from the U.S. I usually stay one night in San Jose before heading out to other parts of the country. I always stay at the Intercontinental and am never disappointed. Check in is always easy. The room is always spotless and the restaurants are great. Try the goat cheese cruillante on the room service menu or at the hotel's main restaurant - it's awesome. Pool area is really nice. There are renovations going on (looks like they are expanding next door), but I was never inconvenienced by it. Also - the hotel is directly across the street from a main shopping mall plaza. I am able to stock up on toiletries and other sundries that get taken away at the airport before heading to the rest of Costa Rica where such things are not always easy to find. Intercontinental is great place to stay for stopovers.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled solo

Dear VacationAddict,

Reviewed January 4, 2008

We rented a small suv for our stay in Costa Rica.Let me point out that most rental's appeared to be standard's.If you are not able to drive a standard very well you might request an automatic.Lot's of winding road's and steep hill's.My husband did a great job of navigating us through the terrible road condition's here.Lot's of one way road's that are very poorly marked.If you do rent a car here get good direction's to your next destination.They do offer gps unit's for an additional cost but didn't have any available when we picked up our vehicle.If you are going to the Arenal Volcano area from San Jose you will need to turn at San Ramon and then turn at the Los Angeles sign in San Ramon.The road sign's getting to the volcano area are very poor.I have never witnessed such poorly marked road's in my life.Very Confusing!I am glad we rented a car since we did a lot of moving around,but be prepared for mass confusion here.I am just trying to give people a little insight into what to expect if you plan on renting a vehicle here.Now on to the hotel.
This hotel is the complete opposite direction if you are headed to Arenal Volcano or the Pacific coast.(Manuel Antonio,Jaco,etc.)It is fairly easy to get to if you stay on the main highway.Just a way's out from the airport.
The hotel is beautiful.Several restaurant's,nice lounge(Pilsen and Imperial are comparable to our better beer's).Familiarize yourself with the exchange rate before you go, alot of your receipt's will be in colones.It came out to approx. 500 colones equaled $1.00 usd.The people here were very eager to please.The room's were very nice.Nice comfortable bed's,mini-bar,desk with internet hook-up,reading area,great bathroom.One of the thing's I really liked about this hotel was that you had to use your room key in the elevator to get to any of the guest room's.Extra security measure.The breakfast buffet was included in our room price, lot's of fresh fruit,omlette station,etc.Great Costa Rican coffee( I think I became addicted to it).If you plan on bringing home any coffee,chocolates,cocoa(very good also)wait and buy them at the airport when you leave.Way cheaper prices.Overall this was a great hotel,just a way's out of the way.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ParadiseOklahoma

Dear ParadiseOklahoma,

Reviewed October 16, 2007

I have stayed in the Intercontinental several times in the last two years, the prices can vary much depending on demand and season. Sometimes the rates were as low as $120 and other times it was $350 for the same type of room, so book with time if you are going on leisure. The service is excellent, definitely above average and a very courteous staff. The hotel was always very clean and is well maintained, the location is good and close to all the restaunrants in the Escazu area. The hotel has a 2 restaurants and has the Multiplaza mall in front of it, so you can take a 5 minute walk to the mall and grab something to eat in the food court if you don't feel like eating in the hotel. My last time there was in June and they were doing renovations to the pool area and building more rooms. High Speed Internet access worked fine all the times I stayed there.

• Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank cruz30

Dear cruz30,

Reviewed September 1, 2007

I travel to Costa Rica approximatly 10 days per month. I ahve done as such the past three years. While in San Jose I typically stay at either the Marriott or White House. Unfortunately, both hotels were sold out for teh five days that I needed to be in San Jose. As such, I and several other business associates stayed at the Real Intercontinental. There is no question that the pool area bars and restuarnts were above average. The Food at Alfredo's was exceptional. Prices at these dining and drinking venues was out of site by Costa Rican standards. Not only were the prices sky high, they also add the taxes, tips, etc to the bill. This is customary in Costa Rica. What is uncustomary is that if you charge your total bar bill to your room, these charges once again appear on your final bill. They amount to a 26% tax x 2.

The first night of my stay involved my having to switch rooms three times. They are remodeling the rooms and several of the rooms have an acidic moldy smell. At $290 per night this was unacceptable. The second room they gave me was fine, however, the magentic key system that they use for getting into your room or the elevator never worked. As such, I could not get back into my second room where my bags, luggage and money was stored until maintenance could open the room the next morning. This mandated a third room. When I was finally able to get back into my room to collect my belongings, my IPOD was missing from the night stand where I had left it. My report of this to teh front desk was basically blown off!!! This has never happened at any other hotel in which I have stayed in Costa Rica. Throughout my stay, I must have had to change key cards at least 25 times. I was not the only guest to have to as such. I was informed by the front desk that tehy had a week and antiquated sysytem for the key cards and this was a regular occurrance. It must be the same system that runs the internet, TV system and out-going telepohone system in the hotel. For four days, my TV never worked and I could never make a direct out-going call. All in all, a shabby excuse for a hotel charging these prices. Great location but save your moeny and book the San Jose Marriott or Courtyard down the street. I and known of my other traveling companions would ever consider a stay in this hotel again. I would, however, give a big thumbs up to Alfredos and recommend the restaurant to anyone traveling to San Jose.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
9  Thank BlueMarlinDave

Dear BlueMarlinDave,
Thank you very much for sharing your comments, we are very sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations in your last stay.
We hope you come visit us again and give us a second chance.
Ricardo Menendez

Also consider these accommodations in or near Escazu
Sheraton San Jose Hotel
Courtyard San Jose Escazu
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Hotel Alta Las Palomas
Hotel Alta Las Palomas
#3 of 14 in Escazu
Barcelo San Jose
Barcelo San Jose
#12 of 78 in San Jose
Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu

Been to Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall? Share your experiences!